Lockdown cookery thread.

dinny_g

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:

I know you know but to the uninitiated, don’t block the cavity with the lemon - heat has to get in. Cut wedges I’d you have a small chicken. Also stuff some herbs and garlic inside (again, the chicken cavity ;) ) to supercharge your basting juices on the way into your tray

See also- clementines in your Turkey at Christmas
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Indeed this.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Cut some lemon slices and let them sit in a mix of olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme and oregano. Then put some under the skin on the breasts and some in the cavity.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:39 am :lol:

I know you know but to the uninitiated, don’t block the cavity with the lemon - heat has to get in. Cut wedges I’d you have a small chicken. Also stuff some herbs and garlic inside (again, the chicken cavity ;) ) to supercharge your basting juices on the way into your tray

See also- clementines in your Turkey at Christmas
It's a squeezed lemon half so it won't block the cavity - unless you're eating poussin obvs ;)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Just started prepping sugar cured ox cheeks ready for next Saturday. Should be lush!

https://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/news/ ... -sandwich/

Also made a chocolate banana cake yesterday with chocolate butter icing. It's been as lovely as it sounds.

Also got a Chateaubriand for next Sunday's Mother's Day lunch as well as ordering breakfast and cocktails from Dishoom to start the day right.(I'll be booking a table at Dishoom Edinburgh as soon as I am able. Love it!)

Marmalade mimosa's with bacon naan roll kit

https://store.dishoom.com/mimosa-bacon-naan-kit

Also bought a few more bits from Turner & George to enjoy on the BBQ. Mutton breast/ribs to be slow roasted in a TBC rub then assembled in a shepherds pie, some deckle steaks, hanger steak, Babette, chicken wings, bone in pork rib eye's and some nice sausages. Their stuff is superb quality and not badly priced for them being in London. Yorkshire beef too 😉

Can't wait to get stuck into it all 😁😁
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

McSwede wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:43 pm Just started prepping sugar cured ox cheeks ready for next Saturday. Should be lush!

Also made a chocolate banana cake yesterday with chocolate butter icing. It's been as lovely as it sounds.

Also got a Chateaubriand for next Sunday's Mother's Day lunch as well as ordering breakfast and cocktails from Dishoom to start the day right.(I'll be booking a table at Dishoom Edinburgh as soon as I am able. Love it!)

Also bought a few more bits from Turner & George to enjoy on the BBQ. Mutton breast/ribs to be slow roasted in a TBC rub then assembled in a shepherds pie, some deckle steaks, hanger steak, Babette, chicken wings, bone in pork rib eye's and some nice sausages. Their stuff is superb quality and not badly priced for them being in London. Yorkshire beef too 😉

That all sounds great apart from the cake. Banana can GTF - sounds minging :lol:

I need to try the Dishoom breakfast - I keep forgetting about that.

ETA - In fact, McSwede, I have to thank you for the Dishoom heads up. This is perfect for the Mrs as this week is also her X-plant anniversary as well as Mother's Day. The signficance of that and the Dishoom is the grapefruit cocktail. She doesn't eat grapefruit all year as it inhibits the absorption of immunosuppressant drugs. But she makes an exception for her x-plant anniversary and has a day where she just goes mad for grapfruit.

This is perfect for that 8-)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:41 pm
McSwede wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:43 pm Just started prepping sugar cured ox cheeks ready for next Saturday. Should be lush!

That all sounds great apart from the cake. Banana can GTF - sounds minging :lol:

ETA - In fact, McSwede, I have to thank you for the Dishoom heads up. This is perfect for the Mrs as this week is also her X-plant anniversary as well as Mother's Day. The signficance of that and the Dishoom is the grapefruit cocktail. She doesn't eat grapefruit all year as it inhibits the absorption of immunosuppressant drugs. But she makes an exception for her x-plant anniversary and has a day where she just goes mad for grapfruit.

That's superb. Glad it helped.

And you're wrong about the cake. It's epic!! 😂
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Cured ox cheeks were good but not great. Just a bit salty for my liking. The meat and onions cooked beautifully on the BBQ. The meat was juicy and tender.

Awaiting the Dishoom delivery yesterday I thought I'd check my emails as I hadn't heard anything only to realise I'd booked the delivery for the 20th 🤣 What a cock!! Nice treat for next week though.

Chateaubriand just about to get cooked. Looking forward to it 👍
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Fired up the BBQ on Saturday. Cooked some ribs that had a dry rub on them. They were epic and the bones just slid out. Forgot to take pictures.

Did the mutton breast at the same time. I'd rubbed that with salt, cumin and coriander. I didn't realise how much fat would render from the Mutton and a dribbled it all over the place 😤😤

On Sunday I made a shepherds pie with some lamb mince, then chucked in all the slow cooked mutton that I'd pulled. Added lashings of Henderson's relish (awesome stuff) and needless to say, the pie was epic!!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Did you order it??

We had ours this Sunday and added a couple of fried eggs (runny yolks) to each and they were fabulous. The grapefruit Mimosa's were superb, far better than I thought they'd be.

Happy wife = Happy life. 😂
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, lamb and mutton are really fatty. I used to cook lamb on a griddle pan and it would always set off the smoke alarms :lol:
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

What's a bacon naan?

I do this for my naan needs, stretched out and cooked on a big griddle.
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/18131/tu ... lama-.aspx

Taught my 9yo son to make chocolate custard on the weekend. Chocolate chips stirred through and a quick dark chocolate cream on top, was awesome 8-)
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/34755/pe ... stard.aspx + as many tablespoons of cocoa as you desire 2-3 are a good balance with the sugar.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

McSwede wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:21 am

Did you order it??

We had ours this Sunday and added a couple of fried eggs (runny yolks) to each and they were fabulous. The grapefruit Mimosa's were superb, far better than I thought they'd be.

Yes we did cheers McSwede. I also ordered the Dishoom Old Fashioned. So we had the bacon naans, grapefruit mimosas and chai on the Xplant anniversary and she still had the Old Fashioned left over for Mother's Day.

We loved it. More importantly she loved it! It was a nice treat just before the carnage of the building work starting :lol:

Thanks again for the heads up about it :)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 am
McSwede wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:21 am

Did you order it??

Yes we did cheers McSwede. I also ordered the Dishoom Old Fashioned. So we had the bacon naans, grapefruit mimosas and chai on the Xplant anniversary and she still had the Old Fashioned left over for Mother's Day.

We loved it. More importantly she loved it! It was a nice treat just before the carnage of the building work starting :lol:

Thanks again for the heads up about it :)
Great news!!

Dishoom is fab and I can't wait to go back again. Cooked the chili chicken and that's epic!!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

RobYob wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:46 am What's a bacon naan?

Taught my 9yo son to make chocolate custard on the weekend. Chocolate chips stirred through and a quick dark chocolate cream on top, was awesome 8-)
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/34755/pe ... stard.aspx + as many tablespoons of cocoa as you desire 2-3 are a good balance with the sugar.

The chilli jam it comes with is superb
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

McSwede wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:01 pm
RobYob wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:46 am What's a bacon naan?

The chilli jam it comes with is superb
Interesting, will keep them in mind for a fancy brunch.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Another year, another cooking marathon, another excuse to show photos of endless prepared plates disappearing into the mid-distance.

This week's menu:
Friday (late arrival, tight time pressure)
Hot BBQ drumsticks
Lasagna
Pizza (bought)
Red velvet cake/Carrot cake (bought)

Saturday
Leek and potato soup
Beef Stroganoff
Strawberry Pavlova

Sunday
Asparagus wrapped in palma ham with hollandaise
Spanish pork, chorizo and apple cassuolet with sauted potatoes and green salad
Leftover cake and pavlova

Monday
Spaghetti Bolognese
Garlic bread
Cheese bread
Rice pudding with summer fruit coulis

Tuesday
Smoked salmon with gravlax sauce
Roast sirloin of beef with dauphanoise, garlic roasted broccoli and baby carrots
Creme Caramel

Wednesday
Cullen skink
Haggis bon-bons with orange chili jam and mustard whisky sauce
Chicken stuffed with mozzarella, pesto and basil, with a roasted red pepper sauce and new potatoes
Banoffee cheesecake

Thursday
Thai chicken salad
Vietmanese caramel pork with coconut, shitake and broad bean sticky rice
Chocolate fudge cake with honeycomb icecream.

In total there were 23 mouths to feed (although 3 were young children who mostly ate separately). Kitchen facilities were, ahem, "romantic" rather than functional (slightly fucked Aga, 4 slightly-too-small saucepans, no cooking utensils), hence the menu was a bit less adventurous than last year.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Was that in the U.K. this year Neil?
mik

Post by mik »

That’s epic 8-)

Although - I would feckin hate to be in your shoes. :lol:
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:50 pm Was that in the U.K. this year Neil?
Yeah, Kilmarnock of all places :lol:

We can an alternative chateau all lined up, but back in early May, we had to make a call on whether to pay the full bill and risk not being able to travel, or roll it over to 2022. We chose the latter, but that left us trying to find a UK place - how many UK properties do you think were available that can sleep 25+, have an indoor pool, and weren't already booked up with weddings etc? It was not cheap!

Felt kinda crazy going out for shopping - leaving the manicured grounds of this beautiful stately home, driving 5 mins, then into Killie through some of the darkest schemes in Scotland :shock:
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"