The House Projects Thread

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Rich B »

Looks good - I'd like to get some lighting in mine - I only have one bulkhead light that's nowhere near enough.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes even a small space seems to soak up a lot of light - especially if you go for decorative fittings that don't blind you vs floodlights.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Tidy, I'll pretend I didn't see the trench dug in the wall for the wiring ;)
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes, some remedial rendering is in order!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:58 pm Tidy, I'll pretend I didn't see the trench dug in the wall for the wiring ;)
Or twin and earth going into IP rated gland on the light fitting or the connection terminals wrapped in a plastic bag and electrical tape. Tut tut. 😂

Garden looks good though. I like the paving!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Looks utterly shit.

(actually I quite like it - look for a soft warm white LED to replace the floodlight to keep the warm downlighting - and if it's for proper evenings out, don't be afraid to grab a lower output lamp, you don't need that much output to see where your drink is!)
GG.

Post by GG. »

It’s actually all warm white Beany. The bulkhead light is actually pretty feeble - the iPhone camera makes it look brighter than it is. Definitely agree - doesn’t need to like like a floodlit football pitch.
GG.

Post by GG. »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:23 pm
GG. wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:30 am Haha yes well that all sounds easy... what I realised when hoiking the much lighter palm into its pot was that lifting it is one thing, lifting it nearly a meter into the air to clear the pot lip and then another half meter forwards before dropping it in the pot and not smashing the pot in the process is altogether something else! You tend to get it about 30 or so cm off the ground, realise you have the same to go up again and think ‘shit’ :lol:

Membrane is to stop the soil washing out the hole and also to keep the fast draining gravel layer at the bottom separate from the soil and stop the two becoming mixed and causing water logging. Olives really don’t like it apparently and I don’t really want to kill an expensive tree!
Rip shirt off....
Point at plant, say loudly “Not today friend”
Crack knuckles
Overly grunt when picking up plant
Kick old pot off with foot
Turn 90degrees
Drop plant in new pot
Get handed beer by lady who then drapes herself over your glistening torso
Water thoroughly
Proceed inside to vigorous lovemaking

Dave!
In the end I went for the brains over brawn method (to everyone’s surprise as that isn’t my normal MO I admit...)

First step was to get it to the right height and after realising it was going to be extremely difficult to do it without the lip of the old pot - I chopped off the bottom on the basis that it tapers and therefore would be impossible to slip through when lifted even with no bottom on the pot... in theory.

Once in pot cut off the top part of the old one.

Surprisingly it actually worked!

unzippy

Post by unzippy »

I helped Dad with his olive tree a while back.

But I built him a pot, then finished building it once the tree was in ;)

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Zips Dundee: "That's not an olive tree; THIS is an olive tree."
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

:shock:

How old was that tree Zips?
Foz

Post by Foz »

The last place I sold, as I embark on another even bigger project :D
https://www.ledinghamchalmers.com/estat ... -aberdeen/
GG.

Post by GG. »

unzippy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:54 am

Looks fantastic! I really like the 'gnarled trunk' olives but my wife is not so keen.

@Swervin_Mervin Those olives are somewhere in the region of 50 - 100 years old but I'd guess towards the latter end as its reasonably girthy!

If you want one I'd recommend Sutton Manor Nurseries where I got mine - they have massive selection at reasonable prices and they deliver country wide. If you can't get down in person, they often post photos of the actual trees that you'll receive on their website so you can ensure you get one you like rather than one they pick.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Foz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:24 am The last place I sold, as I embark on another even bigger project :D
Foz, is the sold prices thing right? After 9 years and a lot of work you only made about 10%?

ETA: I see you've answered that in the other thread. Shame.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Foz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:24 am The last place I sold, as I embark on another even bigger project :D
Christ, it feels like a long time ago you mentioned that property. You've done it beautifully 👍👍
Foz

Post by Foz »

Yeah was the oil downturn in Aberdeen and covid impact.

Was a forever home as well :D
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

GG. wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:36 am
unzippy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:54 am

Looks fantastic! I really like the 'gnarled trunk' olives but my wife is not so keen.

@Swervin_Mervin Those olives are somewhere in the region of 50 - 100 years old but I'd guess towards the latter end as its reasonably girthy!

If you want one I'd recommend Sutton Manor Nurseries where I got mine - they have massive selection at reasonable prices and they deliver country wide. If you can't get down in person, they often post photos of the actual trees that you'll receive on their website so you can ensure you get one you like rather than one they pick.
I was thinking it must be north of 50yrs old at least.

I'm happy with the one we've got - it's a twig in comparison to yours and Zips' dad's though :lol:
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Anyone have any experience of leasehold garages? I’m interested in buying the house but the garage has a 957 year lease on it and a £395 annual charge, with a separately owned flat above it. The charge also covers the maintenance of the access road.

I’m not keen on anything leasehold due to the possibility of an increase in charges, who pays if the road needs to be dug up at all? But it’s rare to have off-road parking let alone a garage in this area so I am tempted. Or should I run a mile 😂

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

And the house isn't leasehold? How odd. And the access road is definitely not adopted - is the £395 not simply ground rent?

I wouldn't be at all concerned about the lease tbh, but I know it's a hot topic at the mo. Our last place was on a 999yr lease (£100/annum), and current place is on >900y lease as well (£5/annum).
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Lease is normal when there’s different ownership upstairs, but the service charge will include the structure etc as well as the access road. Service charges only ever go up. Which is why I’d be wary.