Coronavirus

dinny_g

Re: Coronavirus

Post by dinny_g »

Broccers wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:15 pmSo back on topic dudes what about all these extra people having to shield when we expecting relaxing of rules next week.
I think the government is taking whatever decisions are necessary to sort this once and for all - no matter what the optics are.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:27 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:15 pmSo back on topic dudes what about all these extra people having to shield when we expecting relaxing of rules next week.
I think the government is taking whatever decisions are necessary to sort this once and for all - no matter what the optics are.
So essentially they are doing what I was saying only this morning. Keeping the vulnerable safe. Winning idea.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The problem is apart from nearly all children under 10 you don’t truly know who the vulnerable are. Get all the vaccinations out the way and then carry on as normal.

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Vaccinations are getting thrown around pretty quickly (think we're up to 16m doses delivered, half of that in the last two weeks) so basic coverage of the vaccine should come along soon enough, I'd expect.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I dont know about anyone else but we looked to book cornwall for may and it was the same price as last year a short while ago. Today, Sykes cottages have absolutely ripped the piss out of prices. For example 2 bed decent apartment was 700 now 2500 for a week. May be staying at home a while longer :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

You're not looking at half term week, Broccers? A week or so ago we booked a place in Devon for May and it was the same ballpark price as previous years.

I checked out the categories of people in the new shielding advice. One of them is 'the homeless'. Brilliant, make sure you shield at home if you're homeless :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:14 am You're not looking at half term week, Broccers? A week or so ago we booked a place in Devon for May and it was the same ballpark price as previous years.

I checked out the categories of people in the new shielding advice. One of them is 'the homeless'. Brilliant, make sure you shield at home if you're homeless :lol:
Sykes cottages innit. I'm all for them making money for owners but do a websearch they did the same last year and cancelled folks holidays at the last minute for better paying bookings (maybe).

Homeless shielding at home is very good advice :D
Simon

Post by Simon »

The artist formerly known as _Who_
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Simon wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:52 pm
:lol:
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Does open the door to some epic over-eating to push yourself up the queue...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Colleague o' mine was jabbed this morning based on his BMI, too, so that is definitely a thing they're doing.

That's a wondrous bit of data entry failure though, I like it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Speaking of jabs how come india has almost cured itself without any jabs?

India, like other countries, is assumed to miss many infections in its official records, and there are questions about how virus deaths are determined.

But the strain on the country’s hospitals has also eased in recent weeks, a further indication the spread is slowing.

When recorded cases crossed 9 million in November, official figures showed nearly 90 percent of all critical care beds with ventilators in New Delhi were full.

On Thursday, 16 percent of these beds were occupied.

That success cannot be attributed to vaccinations since India only began administering shots in January. But as more people are vaccinated, the outlook should look even better, though experts are also concerned about variants identified in many countries that appear to be more contagious.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/2/1 ... ts-stumped
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I was thinking about that yesterday. I’m guessing everyone must have had it there and gained herd immunity by now as it’s not the most hygienic country and then their immune systems are naturally stronger.
A westerner will shit themselves to death after a while in India.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

A 50 something mate of mine upped sticks and went travelling the other year. They had to come home as he nearly died of dengue fever. I would say if you are immune to that then your immune system must be strong, you're probably right.

Just begs the question why the whole world needs injecting with an array of different jabs that may or may not protect for different strains of the virus? All sorted within 12 months. A bloody miracle !!!
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Broccers wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:19 am I dont know about anyone else but we looked to book cornwall for may and it was the same price as last year a short while ago. Today, Sykes cottages have absolutely ripped the piss out of prices. For example 2 bed decent apartment was 700 now 2500 for a week. May be staying at home a while longer :lol:
Where in Cornwall?
Sykes do move their prices up and down depending on demand to get the best for the owner (and their pretty large % cut). I'll be putting our place on with Sykes next month when it's finished, as they're the most visible provider and tend to get generally decent guests.
It's not an old cottage (modern 3 1/2 bed house 10 min walk from Crantock beach), but I can offer a forum discount!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jimexpl wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:42 pm
Broccers wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:19 am I dont know about anyone else but we looked to book cornwall for may and it was the same price as last year a short while ago. Today, Sykes cottages have absolutely ripped the piss out of prices. For example 2 bed decent apartment was 700 now 2500 for a week. May be staying at home a while longer :lol:
Where in Cornwall?
Sykes do move their prices up and down depending on demand to get the best for the owner (and their pretty large % cut). I'll be putting our place on with Sykes next month when it's finished, as they're the most visible provider and tend to get generally decent guests.
It's not an old cottage (modern 3 1/2 bed house 10 min walk from Crantock beach), but I can offer a forum discount!
Are you buying one of the new ones near the village hall? Possibly :) I wish we had bought the cbay apartments next to the bowgie when they were built. My sister stays and on a normal year its 1800 a week (edit just looked its now 2200 so not too bad lol). I think they sold them for 350k at the time the hotel was sold off.
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

Broccers wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:52 pm
Where in Cornwall?
Are you buying one of the new ones near the village hall? Possibly :) I wish we had bought the cbay apartments next to the bowgie when they were built. My sister stays and on a normal year its 1800 a week (edit just looked its now 2200 so not too bad lol). I think they sold them for 350k at the time the hotel was sold off.
I bought my M5 from the chap who was converting the hotel into apartments. He's also good friends with Chris Harris.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Where in Cornwall?
Interested if you want to chuck me a PM with details. Cash deposit obviously! The Sykes place we stayed at last year is a laughable £3k for two weeks this summer and it was on a building site :lol: We can get our usual massive place in the Dordogne with swimming pool and amazing views for the same money....if we are allowed to go.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that we won't get to go away properly this year. It's just going to be an overpriced bun fight, and I don't really want to get involved with that. I think there will be overseas holidays available later in the year, but with a small baby I don't fancy going too far or getting on a plane.
John

Post by John »

Not jealous at all!