Would you buy a car purely on EVO recommendation?

revsRus
Currently Driving: Mclaren 600LT
VW Golf Clubsport S

Would you buy a car purely on EVO recommendation?

Post by revsRus »

It occurred to me today that all of my cars have been chosen and bought almost entirely on EVO recommendation.

My history

Mazda MX5 - I can’t remember if this is EVO influenced or not to be honest but it was definitely referenced regularly in the past
Integra DC2 - Definitely chose this after it featured and beat more modern hatches in EVO group tests, I bought one without test driving or having been in any
E92 M3 - Perhaps least this one, I remember mostly wanted to have the V8 noise
Cayman GT4 - Most definitely bought entirely because it won ECOTY
Golf clubsport S - Bought without so much as ever having sat in one, I paid before even opening the door. Finished well up the order one year
LT600 - Without a doubt drawn to this because of its ECOTY, bought after test driving one other one

Has anyone else bought a car without ever test driving it based purely on recommendation from EVO or otherwise?
Zonda_

Re: Would you buy a car purely on EVO recommendation?

Post by Zonda_ »

Yep, bought my first 306XSi based on their review.
mik

Post by mik »

I would avoid buying (or even bothering to drive) something that they said was a crap steer, but I wouldn’t buy something solely on their recommendation. The VXR8 was always a “great but not quite as polished” option compared to its German competitors but the overall package worked better for me.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

I wouldn’t say ‘purely’, but certainly ‘influenced by’ EVO / EVO contributors.

Corrado VR6 - EVO 5-star car (before it was downgraded to 4-star :( ), I think on the EVO back page it’s described as ‘a great all-rounder’, which it certainly is. My school teacher had a Tornado Red 16V and I always thought it’s a cool looking car.

Integra DC2 - Winner of greatest FWD car group test (issue 98?), despite that I never really thought much of it as I thought it’s an odd looking car. Then I had a ride in a mate’s car and was astonished by its cornering speed and intoxicated by its noise. Started getting into track days and the Corrado was a bit fragile; so shortlisted RB5, Clio Trophy and DC2, all EVO favourites. DC2 was the cheapest so bought that. Still got it now after 10 years.

996 Carrera 3.4 - EVO Car of the year 1998. I had wanted a 911 since forever and 996 was the cheapest, so I thought it couldn’t be that bad if it won ECOTY. It’s indeed a great car and still a relatively bargain, although good ones are hard to find now.

996.2 GT3 - EVO Car of the year 2003. Wanted a Mk1 (ECOTY 1999) in Zanzibar at first, but the more I looked into it, Mk2 was just the better car (Chris Harris and Richard Meaden agreed). Watched Tiff Needell’s old Top Gear review (mk1) and Richard Hammond’s review (mk2) countless times; even Clarkson liked it. Just a superb car.

Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

The problem is you can't really experience the driving dynamics of a car on a typical test drive anyway, so for the most part need to rely on what other people say and Evo is about the most credible.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

My main brainwashing was from nineties Autocar :mrgreen:
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Never even a consideration. I mean, it's nice to get validation on what you've bought or planning to, but otherwise it doesn't sway me.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Matty wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:09 pm Never even a consideration. I mean, it's nice to get validation on what you've bought or planning to, but otherwise it doesn't sway me.
So what made you read car mags in the first place if not to learn what was good or bad?
Barry

Post by Barry »

Coaster1 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:04 pm
Integra DC2 - Winner of greatest FWD car group test (issue 98?), despite that I never really thought much of it as I thought it’s an odd looking car. Then I had a ride in a mate’s car and was astonished by its cornering speed and intoxicated by its noise. Started getting into track days and the Corrado was a bit fragile; so shortlisted RB5, Clio Trophy and DC2, all EVO favourites. DC2 was the cheapest so bought that. Still got it now after 10 years.
Ironic that it was a forum members car in that test too, not sure if I ever mentioned that :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Barry wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:27 pm
Ironic that it was a forum members car in that test too, not sure if I ever mentioned that :lol:
Why have you never told us about this????
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

As discussed previously, I actually test drive cars myself before buying, rather than relying on mag reviews, which was shot down as weird by lots on here!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 pm As discussed previously, I actually test drive cars myself before buying, rather than relying on mag reviews, which was shot down as weird by lots on here!
You've never used a group test to narrow it down?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:10 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 pm As discussed previously, I actually test drive cars myself before buying, rather than relying on mag reviews, which was shot down as weird by lots on here!
Nah, I go out blindly and test drive every single car until I find one I like...

the title clearly states "purely".
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:12 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:10 pm
Nah, I go out blindly and test drive every single car until I find one I like...

the title clearly states "purely".
Indeed and when I bought the 306 it won a group test of cars I was considering.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

speedingfine wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:06 pm My main brainwashing was from nineties Autocar :mrgreen:
Yes pre-EVO it was mainly Autocar and Top Gear (the tv show not the magazine).
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Barry wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:27 pm
I probably should have bought it off Ben, but at the test-drive I didn’t like the feel of the aftermarket clutch. Also I kind of wanted a red one, which turned out to be a mistake as red turned into 50 shades of pink! :oops:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I bought my Puma based purely on magazine reviews (and Too Gear on the telly), but that was because there was a waiting list, no chance of a test drive.

However it wasn’t as a result of Evo because I got it a couple of weeks before the mag launched. And in it, they’d bought an import Puma in the same colour as mine. Retrospective validation.
dan

Post by dan »

Good god no, I enjoy reading car mags but I make my own mind up about what I like. I choose my own favourite colours too.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

You'd win a watch for this thread back in the day!

Yes and no I guess. Evo was certainly very influencial in how my taste evolved in my pre-performance car (or indeed any car) owning days, and the reviews must have influenced me buying an R26 as it was a 5-star car and that must have been appealing.

I mean how else are you attracted to cars other than reading about them and looking at pictures or videos of them? Unless you have other influences like friends etc.

Evo also probably stoked my belief that lighter cars are better, which led to my love of Lotus and Caterham. If I was in the market for a certain type of performance car I probably would check out the reviews from journalists I respect still I guess, but I have no plans to change from the S1.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:51 pm Yep, bought my first 306XSi based on their review.
Wow, if I had been challenged I would have guessed that fell in to the era of Performance Car.