The House Projects Thread

Jimmy Choo

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I've had confirmation that everything is in place for completion on Thursday. I'm so excited I could wet myself. I'm not moving in until 19th/20th so I have time to do some work before moving in and I've got my current place until 28th so I can get it clean and set for handover.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
GG.

Post by GG. »

Couple of new additions for the garden today. Had a bit of fun getting them through the house single handed... need to check availability for chiropractors :?

Was quite tempting to leave it in the hallway - fitted quite nicely :lol:

Olive

Palm

Note to self - will need some large pots...

mik

Post by mik »

GG. wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:58 pm
Seiko?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Well, er. Yes and no. :lol:

Its a Unimatic U2-b https://www.unimaticwatches.com/u2-b/

A mechanical Seiko movement in an italian suit (well, wetsuit really as its a diving watch but you get my drift).
mik

Post by mik »

I won’t claim that as a successful spot :oops: very distinctive case shape.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Will be starting to completely renovate my bathroom in a couple of weeks. Adding a separate shower, new suite, heated towel rail, tiling (floor and walls), lighting and extractor fan.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I'm doing several projects at the moment too. I learnt from the last lockdown that I need projects, to actually achieve something I can look back on whilst not doing anything social like holidays/etc...

1. Front room/office - I built some cupboard/shelves either side of the fireplace over the last month or two. Just waiting for the paint to be cured enough to put stuff on them. There's an identical one the other side.

2. Driveway. The gate opening was really tight and the conifers were way out of control, so I removed them and had the drive enlarged the other day. I need to modify the wall and add some coping then install some railings (being made at the moment) with privet hedges behind. Project in progress!

Before:

During:

3. I also bought a new front door. The one on the house is a hideous white upvc one. It also sits a bit low internally so I haven't been able to finish the timber flooring up to it in the hall. I'm going to paint it before I install, but it's much more in keeping with the age of the house (1935).

4. The big one. Starting on Monday I'm finally getting the patio done. Currently it's a shitty crazy paved monstrosity that sits about 200mm lower than the door threshold. So it's going to be raised to the right level, 600x900 silver Indian sandstone with a drainage channel.

I also want to change the garage door colour as it's a very red wood colour that just looks a bit cheesy... And paint the window sills and transoms on the front bay windows (as a long term temporary measure until we can afford to replace the whole windows....) etc....

Yeah. I like a project!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Looks good rich - I guess the fireplace is not original to the house - where'd you pick it up?

We need to replace ours that were ripped out by the previous owners :?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

GG. wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:59 pm Looks good rich - I guess the fireplace is not original to the house - where'd you pick it up?

We need to replace ours that were ripped out be previous owners :?
ebay, it's the 2nd Victorian one I've done. Buy it ready stripped/finished though! The first one was about £60 and needed a tonne of work to strip about 2mm of paint off (NEVER AGAIN) then I painted it white and made a top.

This one came ready stripped with a metal top (which I left exactly as it came) and was £120. I watched them for a while though to get it, as most are double that or more.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

GG. wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:59 pm Looks good rich - I guess the fireplace is not original to the house - where'd you pick it up?

We need to replace ours that were ripped out by the previous owners :?
Oh I wouldn’t say that, his child’seat looks fucking deadly!!!!

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Aren’t those old fireplaces similar to the cast iron radiators in that the paint etched to the cast iron ? I remember one of the property shows where the company doing them
Dunked them in a hideously dangerous acid to get the paint off.

Dave!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:13 pm Aren’t those old fireplaces similar to the cast iron radiators in that the paint etched to the cast iron ? I remember one of the property shows where the company doing them
Dunked them in a hideously dangerous acid to get the paint off.

Dave!
yeah, I probably took 10 years off my life stripping it. Do that, or pay for one someone else has already done that on!

The little'un loves his high driving position!
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I have to replace our crumbling 50's(?) main fireplace once winter is over, not looking forward to that! I want to change to a normal big square opening with large fire basket, with an inset real wood mantle. I also want to put a chimney plate in so I can shut off the draft when it's not in use. Not really sure what I'm doing with this project, it'll be reet!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm
3. I also bought a new front door. The one on the house is a hideous white upvc one. It also sits a bit low internally so I haven't been able to finish the timber flooring up to it in the hall. I'm going to paint it before I install, but it's much more in keeping with the age of the house (1935).

4. The big one. Starting on Monday I'm finally getting the patio done. Currently it's a shitty crazy paved monstrosity that sits about 200mm lower than the door threshold. So it's going to be raised to the right level, 600x900 silver Indian sandstone with a drainage channel.

I also want to change the garage door colour as it's a very red wood colour that just looks a bit cheesy... And paint the window sills and transoms on the front bay windows (as a long term temporary measure until we can afford to replace the whole windows....) etc....

Yeah. I like a project!
Nice door. We considered going the traditional wood route but in the end opted for a premium uPVC job

I'll be interested to see what your patio looks like once finished. That will be our next step after the kitchen is done (deposit now paid so hopefully not long). I've been looking at London Stone's porcelain pavers - no maintenance appeals hugely as it's north facing and so susceptible to algae etc.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

yours is easily the nicest composite one I've seen - I couldn't find one like it, so I went the DIY wood option.

It's also interesting the route you've gone with the garage door matching. I think I'll photoshop the garage door to match the door once it's in to decide if I do similar!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:22 pm I'll be interested to see what your patio looks like once finished. That will be our next step after the kitchen is done (deposit now paid so hopefully not long). I've been looking at London Stone's porcelain pavers - no maintenance appeals hugely as it's north facing and so susceptible to algae etc.
we have the opposite issue, ours is south facing and its gets ridiculously hot in the summer. I looked at decking, but cheap decking is a bit crap, composite decking looks good in dark colours but gets crazy hot in direct sun, so it came down to stone or very expensive hardwood decking. The guy who did the driveway did me a quote for stone and it was a lot cheaper than I expected, so went for it.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Made a bit of storage (well, started in October...) to get some of the kids stuff out of the way. Quite happy with how it came out, first time making proper shaker doors.

Trays one side (lego, playmobil, etc), shelves the other:

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

you made the doors? Good skills!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That’s really nice 😎

Dave!
Simon