The Movie Thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Ascender »

mr_jon wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:17 am The Lighthouse. AKA, Da fuq? Fun cinematography.
I really enjoyed that slice of utter insanity.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It

Re-watched the first one again and then Part 2.

I’m a huge fan of the book and have read it at least one nice a year for the past 30 odd years so I was always a bit sceptical of doing it justice as it is truly Epic in terms of scope. You are only ever going to scratch the surface in terms of the Story and have to focus on the core elements.

Which the film does perfectly. Proper dark and plenty of scares along the way. Great casting.

9 1/2 oversized naked Grans out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

McSwede wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:43 pm Le Mans 66 - watched this today as I had the house to myself. What a load of nonsense!! Bale must have been to the Van Dyke & Crowe regional accent school. Awful, just awful.

Fast and furious style "grab another gear and plant throttle" action throughout. It really was a disappointing load of old tat!

What a shame!
^ Got half way through this and never returned.

I'm starting to think Bale is a bad actor.
Real-life Females
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Watched Host last night which is one of those movies made during lockdown and has a very simple premise - friends have an online seance via Zoom and stuff happens.

I loved it. It was genuinely unnerving - I think that's the first time in a long time a horror movie has been able to make me feel like that. The makers are clearly fans of the genre, but they've managed to bring something new to it whilst also staying true to the movies we've all grown up with. Well worth checking out, the most surprisingly good film I've seen in a long time.

You can get it for £7.99 on iTunes.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's also on Shudder, which has a free trial if you haven't used it before. Either standalone app or through Amazon Prime.

It is a great movie.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:20 am It's also on Shudder, which has a free trial if you haven't used it before. Either standalone app or through Amazon Prime.

It is a great movie.
I didn't realise it released on there first, I'm guessing they financed it? I'd missed all the word of mouth about it, but its bloody brilliant.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, Shudder has some good stuff if you’re into horror. It’s not an essential sub but worth getting if you’re looking for something to watch.

The Arrow video channel on Amazon is decent too. They have distribution rights for a lot of old video nasties and older Japanese weirdness.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:40 am Yeah, Shudder has some good stuff if you’re into horror. It’s not an essential sub but worth getting if you’re looking for something to watch.

The Arrow video channel on Amazon is decent too. They have distribution rights for a lot of old video nasties and older Japanese weirdness.
I've thought about Arrow a few times - there's a sub on Apple TV available. I do like so much of their stuff and if I have bought anything physical in the last 5/10 years its invariably been one of their horror reissues.

Since getting the 4K TV I've actually bought a few blu rays and UHD discs which is something I didn't think I'd end up doing again.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I still have a big collection of old Arrow DVDs, never got round to collecting Blurays. I'll see if that changes when I get an Xbox X and new telly.
An absolute unit
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

The Untouchables is on iPlayer. Morricone, De Palma, a David Mamet script and Sean Connery playing an Irishman 😍
Simon

Post by Simon »

Tenet

Finally got around to watching this (4K, UHD). Normally a huge Nolan fan, this one is just confusing as hell. It feels like it's trying to be too clever for it's own good, with all the back and forward. Add in another Nolan 'true audio' soundtrack that's difficult to hear the speech and it ends up with a really disappointing experience. Cinematography is good though.

6 inverted bullets out of 10.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I really liked Nolan’s films for a long time but a recent rewatch of his Batman movies and Dunkirk has taken the shine off a bit.

They have a veneer of smart movie making but they feel a bit hollow.

Also 1917 is a much better war movie than Dunkirk.

Maybe need to go back and watch the prestige as that was always my favourite.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:05 am
Also 1917 is a much better war movie than Dunkirk.
Agreed - both brilliant but in a different way. Dunkirk is a big Hollywood Blockbuster - not unlike Pearl Harbour in intention but obviously delivered in a far superior manner.

1917 is more Raw, more visceral more intense...

But Dunkirk has Mark Rylance’s performance which is stunning...

Torn - have to watch both again now. No hardship at all really :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Starred Up is on 4player just now. Good prison movie with Jack O’Connell and Ben Mendelsohn.
An absolute unit
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I took my daughter to see WW84 as she loved the first film and at 12, things we do together are diminishing almost monthly!

It was OK but not as good as the first one, but quite possibly in keeping with WW comics, tbh I wouldn't know. Some of the 80s clothes were hilarious and it was an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours but it wasn't anywhere near as good as Man of Steel. 3 out of 5 maybe.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:31 am Starred Up is on 4player just now. Good prison movie with Jack O’Connell and Ben Mendelsohn.
Nice one, ta.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’s also got a couple of Ben Wheatley movies that are worth watching. Kill List and Sightseers.

I didn’t like Kill List the first time I saw it but it’s actually pretty good.
An absolute unit
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

We watched The Shape of Water last night (it was on BBC the other day)

Really enjoyed it.

An interesting take on the love story.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:18 am The Irishman

Hmmm not sure about this one. Perhaps I was expecting too much but it didn’t seem match up. Maybe it needs another / multiple watches.

Very slow and meandering pace and, despite not knowing much about the story, you knew what was coming from very early on.

Very cool to be able to watch on Netflix so early... 8-)
I watched this last night in entirety. On reflection its not brilliant, ok but not great.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I've watched the Irishman a couple of times now. I find it's better to break it up into a couple of viewings.

It's by no means Scorsese's best but it's not his worst either.
An absolute unit