My Hairiest Supercar Moments

SSO

My Hairiest Supercar Moments

Post by SSO »

I just posted up a new blog chronicling the hairiest moments I've had in a range of supercars over the years including the Ferrari F40, McLaren 675LT Spider, Ferrari 365BB & 512BB, Mosler MT900S, and Porsche 911 (993) Turbo:

https://karenable.com/my-hairiest-supercar-moments/

Comments?

What have been yours?
Beany

Re: My Hairiest Supercar Moments

Post by Beany »

I think some major 'learning understeer and how to avoid it' moments probably count as mine. In a liveried van for a local company.

That was also a Ford Ka.....one of which involved overtaking a Focus ST on a downhill, followed by me flubbing it entirely on the steep corner at the end (woops, youthful exuberance), just about keeping it out of the ditch....and then the Focus overtaking me and giving me a big thumbs up...:lol:

That, and the time I was belting along a backroad and two deer decided to jump out in front of me in a Micra. Locked up all four wheels and went between them sideways before recovering it. Proper brown trouser moment and taught me not to go bonkers on forest roads, that one....

Not had any scary moments in the Puma, or in the BMW so far, despite their reputations in some parts for lairiness, and the BMW being dangerous rear wheel drive (TM).

I'm sure the BMW will bite me some day when I'm feeling cleverer than I really should ;)

Edit: Obviously not supercar hairy moments, but then you work with what you've got :)
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

I was closely abiding to the speed limit for F40s in Italy
:lol:
SSO

Post by SSO »

Beany wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:25 pm
Not had any scary moments in the Puma, or in the BMW so far, despite their reputations in some parts for lairiness, and the BMW being dangerous rear wheel drive (TM).

I'm sure the BMW will bite me some day when I'm feeling cleverer than I really should ;)
I do remember being just a bit sideways in the M535 and E39 M5 on more than one occasion. Not that difficult to catch if you are quick.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

A very neat and very unintentional 180 in a Z06 on Park Lane:
It had just come back from a car show, I backed it off the trailer, put some lock on to go over three lanes and promptly ended up facing the wrong way - I hadn't taken account of a week's worth of tyre shine all over the treads.

Test driving a 365GTC/4 in the Peak District in -5 with snow and ice on the ground. After a successful run up to 60 on a straight bit of road I nearly slid it into a stone wall at 10mph when turning around to return to the vendor.
The same GTC/4 started smoking from the dash when I was in heavy traffic just after agreeing a sale on it, fortunately after I'd dropped the purchaser off at the station.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Jimexpl wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:08 pm A very neat and very unintentional 180 in a Z06 on Park Lane:
It had just come back from a car show, I backed it off the trailer, put some lock on to go over three lanes and promptly ended up facing the wrong way - I hadn't taken account of a week's worth of tyre shine all over the treads.

Test driving a 365GTC/4 in the Peak District in -5 with snow and ice on the ground. After a successful run up to 60 on a straight bit of road I nearly slid it into a stone wall at 10mph when turning around to return to the vendor.
The same GTC/4 started smoking from the dash when I was in heavy traffic just after agreeing a sale on it, fortunately after I'd dropped the purchaser off at the station.
I've driven a couple of 365GTC/4, they all felt a bit fragile. Not sure why.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ive had the Elise on the lock stops a few times at Knockhill! Once ending in the gravel. Ive got that on go pro!
SSO

Post by SSO »

scotta wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:05 am Ive had the Elise on the lock stops a few times at Knockhill! Once ending in the gravel. Ive got that on go pro!
Nothing quite like the sound of gravel bouncing off the floor pan.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Coming on to the pit straight at Donington in a 200SX, wheels weren't straight before the turbo came on strong. Resulted in a 720 spin and coming to rest about 6 inches away from a concrete wall.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:05 pm Coming on to the pit straight at Donington in a 200SX, wheels weren't straight before the turbo came on strong. Resulted in a 720 spin and coming to rest about 6 inches away from a concrete wall.
Rule #1 of driving the F40 is to always make sure the wheels are pointed straight ahead before allowing the turbos to spin up......otherwise it ends very badly.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:05 pm Coming on to the pit straight at Donington in a 200SX, wheels weren't straight before the turbo came on strong. Resulted in a 720 spin and coming to rest about 6 inches away from a concrete wall.
And with my Zippo wedged in your passenger seat :shock:
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beany wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:14 pm
And with my Zippo wedged in your passenger seat :shock:
And my passenger seat wedged in your arse! :shock:
Beany

Post by Beany »

I was quite impressed with just how quickly it span, and how long it took to stop :D
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I'll wager it felt longer to me! I remember the tyre smoke...
Beany

Post by Beany »

That might have just been me sharting a little in the passenger seat. probably what pushed the zippo out of my back pocket :lol: