Coronavirus

Explosive Newt

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Explosive Newt »

I’m not sure why they are leading with the 70% figure given that the Pfizer vaccine is a two dose method as well...
GG.

Post by GG. »

Whichever PR person mismanaged that is going to be shortly out of a job...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s the U.K. remember, we don’t like to give the public a perception that we’re good at anything, the plucky underdog etc 🙄
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I was wondering about the 70 v 90% thing, but if they said it was "90% effective", people would read the detail and then lose their shit. Because people don't want to read anything other than the clickbait headline these days.

The fact it can be stored under normal refrigeration conditions would appear to be a very good thing which can help accelerate delivery to the maximum number of people possible in the shortest time possible.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ascender wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:59 am I was wondering about the 70 v 90% thing, but if they said it was "90% effective", people would read the detail and then lose their shit. Because people don't want to read anything other than the clickbait headline these days.
This.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Ascender wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:59 am I was wondering about the 70 v 90% thing, but if they said it was "90% effective", people would read the detail and then lose their shit. Because people don't want to read anything other than the clickbait headline these days.

The fact it can be stored under normal refrigeration conditions would appear to be a very good thing which can help accelerate delivery to the maximum number of people possible in the shortest time possible.
You’re quite possibly right. Also, the Oxford trial did weekly asymptomatic testing so I can’t help wonder if they are comparing this to the symptomatic cases in the other trials, hence an apparently lower number. We won’t know until the data is released.

Also: any Oxford graduate will tell you that an Oxford 70% is worth much more than 90% from other universities.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:25 am

You’re quite possibly right. Also, the Oxford trial did weekly asymptomatic testing so I can’t help wonder if they are comparing this to the symptomatic cases in the other trials, hence an apparently lower number. We won’t know until the data is released.

Also: any Oxford graduate will tell you that an Oxford 70% is worth much more than 90% from other universities.
70% is a 1st. No point in getting any more than that!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:38 am

70% is a 1st. No point in getting any more than that!
:lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Hopefully this half then full dose 90% gets confirmed, then we're on to a winner.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

:lol:
Cheers,

Mike.
GG.

Post by GG. »

65.6% in my case :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

GG. wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:55 pm

I'm shocked GG, I expected more from a man of your calibre! ;)
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:29 pm Hopefully this half then full dose 90% gets confirmed, then we're on to a winner.
Absolutely - this is apparently easier and cheaper to manufacture and doesn't have the cold storage issues of the Pfizer vaccine. They have really shot themselves in the foot with the PR, the AZ share price dipped after the 70% announcement.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:01 pm
duncs500 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:29 pm Hopefully this half then full dose 90% gets confirmed, then we're on to a winner.
Absolutely - this is apparently easier and cheaper to manufacture and doesn't have the cold storage issues of the Pfizer vaccine. They have really shot themselves in the foot with the PR, the AZ share price dipped after the 70% announcement.
Buy buy buy! :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

I think it dipped after they realised they wouldn't profit from the vaccine until it's over.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:12 pm I think it dipped after they realised they wouldn't profit from the vaccine until it's over.
That's long been known about though.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Fair enough.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

GG. wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:55 pm

You’ll be telling me next that you went somewhere ghastly like Lady Margaret. Or St Anne’s! :shock:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I spent an hour or so on the bike this afternoon and at some point our region has been moved back in to tier 3 instead of tier 2. For some unknown fucking reason. My mate has just been pulled over on the local bypass by plod asking where he was going as its in the general direction of Edinburgh - they're dishing out £30 fines.

I feel like I've been asleep for a year or something.
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

A dosing error by researchers on the AstraZeneca-Oxford University vaccine trial led to a huge boost in the jab's success rate, the firm's vice president has revealed.

Mene Pangalos, head of AstraZeneca's non-oncology research and development, said: 'The reason we had the half dose is serendipity.'

Volunteers in Britain were expected to receive two full doses of the vaccine as it was trialed in the hope of funding a cure.

Dr Pangalos says researches were perplexed when they noticed volunteers were reporting much milder side effects, such as fatigue, headaches and arm aches, than were originally predicted.

He said: 'So we went back and checked ... and we found out that they had underpredicted the dose of the vaccine by half.'

Dosing error and we are supposed to willing let these nutters inject us. :lol: