Your fleet running reports

Broccers

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Broccers »

Painful :D

Not much to update on the Golf - got yet another puncture which was plugged yesterday luckily.

Mini - friends dog jumped all over the passenger side trying to say hello to Nic, our dog has ruined the rear bumper and theres rust on the bottom left rear door which are all being sorted on Monday. Guy at the garage commented on how good a nick it generally is for an 8 year old MINI.

That Mercs come up well Harry !
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:34 am
Marv wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:48 pm Somehow managed to miss this....WTF!?!
Well, my bucket seats don't adjust or recline in any way, and my roll cage has a substantial "X" brace. Here's a pic:

rib.jpg

So I was trying to crawl over the top of the seats and through the top part of the "X", and stretching to reach the wiper motor, and felt a slight "thud" at the bottom the right side of my rib cage where my weight was resting on the edge of the seat. It didn't hurt much at the time but got progressively worse through Sunday until I couldn't drive properly.

It's now fine as long as I don't: cough, sneeze, laugh, belch, yawn, breathe deeply, twist, lift stuff, or move suddenly in any way. Great.
Break the window next time?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Nic

Post by Nic »

Copy and pasted from the FB Group. I’ve been trying to upload photos and videos to my photobucket account but it pretty much is impossible so I haven’t been able to post any meaningful updates with the Golf. Yesterday was final mapping, in total we spent 9 hours on the rollers followed by a couple of hours on the road to iron out any drive ability issues. The rollers we used aren’t the best, the fan was too small and the rollers aren’t braked but it was free to use for 25/30 runs we did so I’m not complaining. Still have a couple of teething issues with it, fan isn’t wired in correctly, clutch switch is faulty (it stalls when you pull up to a stop), bolts on the downpipe came loose so need to re torque them.

Best run on the rollers was 274.6bhp @ 5562rpm and 290lb/ft @ 4675rpm, torque was rained back to 260lb/ft and it holds that from 4700 to 7000rpm, as it was bloody hot yesterday and the fan was small out on the road it was pulling 20psi over the 18psi it managed to hold on the rollers and over boost was 22psi so until I get it back on to the rollers we reckon it’s roughly 290bhp at 5500 and holds that power to 7200rpm at the rev limiter.

Also had it corner weighted and the geo setup and with a full tank of fuel it weighs in at 928kgs. All this means it just creeps over the 300bhp/tonne mark. Needless to say it goes like a stabbed rat now.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Nothing quite as exciting for me - just did a basic service on the Mondeo. Sump plug and filter housing were both a complete PITA to get off, waaaay tighter than they should have been. Guess some lazy fucker just wanged both bath on with a rattle gun last time.

Also, I need to get a better jack. The one I've got barely gets it 30cm in the air before it jut gives up, so I suppose I should be on the lookout for one of those natty high lift jack things.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:51 pm ...one of those natty high lift jack things.
A Hi-Lift® jack is a completely different thing:

If you meant the Aluminum (sic) jacks from Costco and others:

I have one and and it's OK, but seems to have slowly lost oil and doesn't convincingly go all the way up now.
Beany

Post by Beany »

The latter is what I mean, yes. And it's gotta be better than the Halfords special I have at the moment. Barely gets the car high enough to get an axle stand under...
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

My updates:

Fitted new rear lights to the trailer. The old lights were working fine, to be fair, but I'd realised they were not the originals and had been bodged into place with some dodgy wiring and a multitude of holes drilled for marker lights and cables. Bafflingly, those units are actually more expensive than the correct original ones, which bolt straight in and plug into the original wiring. Literally a ten minute job to do both. Why muck about fitting expensive difficult ones ?

Washed the 5. I was out there at 7am this morning so I could do it while the weather was nice. It took bloomin ages as it's been parked under a willow tree the last few weeks and was thoroughly covered in sap & pigeon poo.

Wifey returned home from a trip out this morning and came through the front door carrying her driver's door mirror. Some asshat had twatted it driving past while the car was parked. Mirror properly smashed, casing was lying in the road and the main body is damaged too. I didn't dare ask VW for a price for a whole new one (heated dimming glass & the side indicator repeater is part of the assembly too) so I've bought a s/h one off ebay for £130. Arse.

Checked that I can actually get the Porsche onto the trailer. I can. That's a relief. Probably should have done that sooner but meh.

Workshop is not quite ready to move in yet. I might do pics once it's looking presentable.

Here's a pic of the 5, pre-wash but the (accidental) parking spot looked quite dramatic as we walked back to it.

530d.jpg
530d.jpg (108.35 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:51 pm The latter is what I mean, yes. And it's gotta be better than the Halfords special I have at the moment. Barely gets the car high enough to get an axle stand under...
Sounds like it needs a fluid top-up.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I may try that, but it only goes to about 35cm anyway which is fine for swapping wheels, but not so good if you need to get right under the car.

Especially if you're as generously proportioned as I am ;)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Beany wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:44 pm I may try that, but it only goes to about 35cm anyway which is fine for swapping wheels, but not so good if you need to get right under the car.

DIW. I have a Halfords jack and have had for as long as I’ve been driving. It still lifts a car high enough to get it on axle stands.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Unforeseen circumstances meant that our annual trip had to be postponed until Sept/Oct, and we spent 10 days in Cornwall instead.

So I won't get to use the Jag on another Euro trip, as we'll have the Discovery Sport by then, which probably won't be worth taking on a long route through the Pyrenees. I think that's more likely to suit sweeping scenic N roads through the centre of France that I haven't taken for nearly a decade.

I think this was 2009. Phone cameras have moved on somewhat -

Part way through the Cornish trip I needed to be back in Leicester for family and work commitments, and leaving my wife with the Jag, the hire car lottery gave me this -

A quick google tells me it's a Fiat Tipo Lounge 1.4. All of those 94 horses fighting to move it along gave me a poor 33mpg on the 600 mile round trip (the Jag will do 24 on the same journey at a faster pace), but the seats were comfortable and sat nav/infotainment did it's job well enough, and it was only £20 a day.

I managed to fit in collecting my Series 3 Land Rover, after giving it to a friend of a friend to do a 3 month chassis swap/refurb about four years ago, which he got 80% through after six months then parked it outside in a farm yard to deteriorate.
I told him that I was coming, but saw him driving in the opposite direction as we were driving to his premises, and unlikely to return that evening, even thought I intended to discuss money with him, as I've not paid him anything to date (I bought the chassis and had it delivered to him), and we haven't talked about a figure for getting it to this unfinished state. His 'employee' had been left to supervise us, and refused to let us leave site without paying for the work.
Given that this was probably me only opportunity to collect it for six months we swiftly agreed on £400 labour plus the receipted parts.
We originally agreed on £1100 labour for the whole job.

Getting it on a tilt bed (rented at short notice from a fairgound community!) with no trailer winch, no brakes, no power and no steering was fun. Pushing it from the back with forklift while towing it with another Land Rover did the trick.
The drivers door came open on the journey (he'd fitted new bolts to to the hinges and keeper plate, had obviously marked up the position with tape, then done an incredibly poor job of tightening it up in that indicated place). The passenger door nearly came crashing to the ground when I went to get inside to tie the drivers door shut, only being held on by a couple of threads on a single loose bolt in the bottom hinge - a lucky find before we got on the dual carriageway!
Rolling it off onto a road and negotiating a narrow alleyway in the centre of Leicester at night was interesting...

I guiltily dumped it at my long suffering mechanic's premises, with a note of apology - I understated the condition it was in, having been lied to by the previous 'engineer'. Peter at Blue Peter Garage is a star for putting up with me, and has generally looked after my older cars for about fifteen years.
I wasn't going to repaint it, but sitting unused in a yard hasn't been kind to it, and I'd forgotten that the lower doors and rear door are tired, so I think it deserves a refresh. I like the traces of its Manchester Met Police past (it was the chief constables car, delivered with a fleet of fast response M62 motorway Range Rovers in 1983) such as the orange safari roof showing under later white paint that is flaking off, additional holes for aerials, lights and rubber bumpers, and special production line coding behind the number plate, so need to consider if/how I retain these.

A picture of one of the Range Rovers (they had sequential number plates, up to A800HND) -
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Megane MOT booked in. Have given up on trying to find a local friendly MOT place so the decat pipe is coming out. For good. Not least because the system is quoting it as a 4.7 hour job to remove & refit. Hopefully it won't take them that long.

Yeti is due imminently as well so will be giving my local garage a fair bit of wedge.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Mini Service booked. It's got a break warning light showing so probably needs pads. I've asked them to regas the aircon as it's a bit pathetic, despite the compressor being replaced a couple of years back.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:32 am
Beany wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:44 pm I may try that, but it only goes to about 35cm anyway which is fine for swapping wheels, but not so good if you need to get right under the car.

DIW. I have a Halfords jack and have had for as long as I’ve been driving. It still lifts a car high enough to get it on axle stands.
Must be. That said, I had the same problem with the Puma, you need to get the thing up at the very end of travel to get axle stands under it, so an extra 20cm or so of travel would be handy.

I've got to put the undertray back on (thought I'd give it a couple of days to check for leaks) so I'll see if I can pick up some jack oil before then, see if that helps.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Nic wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:29 am 290bhp mk1 golf
Yeah, I expect that's quite a good laugh :D
Cheers, Harry
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

JonMad wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:47 am Megane MOT booked in. Have given up on trying to find a local friendly MOT place so the decat pipe is coming out. For good. Not least because the system is quoting it as a 4.7 hour job to remove & refit. Hopefully it won't take them that long.

Yeti is due imminently as well so will be giving my local garage a fair bit of wedge.
Jon, I’ve *ahem* heard the one in Eversley is quite friendly.. near the Tally Ho pub.
Cheers,

Ian
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

IanF wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:37 am
JonMad wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:47 am Megane MOT booked in. Have given up on trying to find a local friendly MOT place so the decat pipe is coming out. For good. Not least because the system is quoting it as a 4.7 hour job to remove & refit. Hopefully it won't take them that long.

Jon, I’ve *ahem* heard the one in Eversley is quite friendly.. near the Tally Ho pub.
Seems not, but thanks. Not by asking over the phone anyway, which is all I can do as I work miles away.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Beany wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:33 am I'll see if I can pick up some jack oil before then, see if that helps.
I thought that was something you would never run out of.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:34 pm
Beany wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:33 am I'll see if I can pick up some jack oil before then, see if that helps.
I thought that was something you would never run out of.
No, that's something else that I don't feel the need to discuss publicly.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

The 4 Series continues to confidently claim that either of the rear indicator bulbs has blown when you start it. It depends what day it is as to which bulb it claims has blown but turning on said indicator cancels the warning.