Odd car wants.

Zonda_

Odd car wants.

Post by Zonda_ »

I have a strange desire to own a cheap 4wd to go mud plugging in. Looking at the prices of available, decent looking stuff I fear this may become a reality...
mik

Re: Odd car wants.

Post by mik »

You can go green-laning with [mention]Jobbo[/mention]
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

mik wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:29 pm You can go green-laning with @Jobbo
If we didn't live at opposite ends of the country yes!, plenty of green lanes round here though.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Loving the K truck, except what is going on with the transfer box (if it is that) - looks like it's trying to wobble itself apart?!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah the transfer box is bouncing around a lot.

If it's still got the Kei spec engine they'll be working it hard so maybe it's driveline vibration.
An absolute unit
Barry

Post by Barry »

Speaking of odd car wants, I'm back to wanting a van conversion camper.. but the tight northerner in me baulks at the £20K+ needed to get a decent one.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:32 pm
If we didn't live at opposite ends of the country yes!, plenty of green lanes round here though.
I drove Boggle Hole in my A6 Allroad a few years ago. Took that down quite a lot of green lanes without considering it green-laning at the time.

Anyway, cheap 4wds are great fun. Get something Japanese without too must rust - and avoid models with known engine issues like Grand Vitara 2.4s :lol:
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:23 pm
I drove Boggle Hole in my A6 Allroad a few years ago. Took that down quite a lot of green lanes without considering it green-laning at the time.

Anyway, cheap 4wds are great fun. Get something Japanese without too must rust - and avoid models with known engine issues like Grand Vitara 2.4s :lol:
I was browsing and the majority of cheap stuff is early Freelanders. I was considering a Sportrak but they are pretty rare it seems.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Rich B wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:40 pm Loving the K truck, except what is going on with the transfer box (if it is that) - looks like it's trying to wobble itself apart?!

I didn't notice that :!: :o
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It looks like a divorced transfer box so instead of being solidly mounted to the gearbox it’s sat on its own rubbers.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:47 pm

I was browsing and the majority of cheap stuff is early Freelanders. I was considering a Sportrak but they are pretty rare it seems.
The 1st gen Freelander is great but has one particular flaw - the viscous coupling regularly fails and people don’t fix it. So if you go for one, check it’s actually 4wd.
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:47 pm

Second Gen Freelanders are pretty good off road. No low range box however. Shouldn't be a problem on most green lanes though.