The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

Post by Ascender »

Huge difference in the car now, am driving around with a massive grin still. Just need to top the coolant off with some water and should be good to go for the weekend.

Have ordered some replacement centre caps from AliExpress just to see what standard they are, am being really picky now, but at a grand cost of £8 I thought it was worth a try.
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Top work.

Oil change done and they have looked at my brakes and found nothing wrong. Hmm

What are the anti vibration things for ? I'm unsure if mine even has them - will ask in a bit
(They are part of this brake kit https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt66_911 ... c-Package/)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They just go behind the pads and stop brake squeal. On pauper cars you just copper slip the back of the pads.
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Broccers wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:26 pm Top work.

Oil change done and they have looked at my brakes and found nothing wrong. Hmm

What are the anti vibration things for ? I'm unsure if mine even has them - will ask in a bit
(They are part of this brake kit https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt66_911 ... c-Package/)
I’ve never fitted them because I’ve never known them to do anything. Pads now come with that firm rubber backing.

On my FILs IS250 though once the brakes were half worn they squealed and juddered. Fitting the shins stopped that completely.

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Hmm might have to do some stomping on them this weekend. Garage says no corrosion on inside of discs either.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Broccers wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:26 pmWhat are the anti vibration things for ?
Didn't this come up already recently ? I left them out last time I did brake stuff and haven't noticed any difference.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:41 pm
Broccers wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:26 pmWhat are the anti vibration things for ?
Didn't this come up already recently ? I left them out last time I did brake stuff and haven't noticed any difference.
Dunno.

Went to undo the sidelight screws which surprise surprise are corroded to f. I don't posses any means of getting them out - I guess impact driver? Dremel - tips? Or pay the nice man at the garage when he is doing something else :)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Any photos of where they are?

A couple of the hex screws on the e46s headlights were knackered, managed to cut a slot in the top of them with a Dremel with cutting blade and got them out with a large flathead screwdriver.

If you can get power tools on top of them then screw extractors are pretty cheap.
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

P264 in this manual, 266 in doc https://www.automotive-manuals.net/app/ ... 1588580209

Awkward.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:58 pm P264 in this manual, 266 in doc https://www.automotive-manuals.net/app/ ... 1588580209

Awkward.
Mine were the same - I nearly killed the head of the first one trying to get it out but luckily a much larger Phillips-head worked with a lot of force.

Dremel to make a big chunky slot a flathead would work with?

I should really order some spare screws - you must be able to order bumper packs of these on eBay or something so I can replace all the corroded ones as I go.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Did you get the screws out?

I've got a £25 voucher for Design911, valid until the 31st October, for any spend over £400. Bit of a long shot but let me know if anybody needs it.

I had a quick blast down to the Borders yesterday to see how everything is - massive difference but just need tracking done as its ever so slightly off following the two new front shocks.
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I got as far as looking at impact drivers - halfords do one for 15 quid. :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Broccers wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:00 pm I got as far as looking at impact drivers - halfords do one for 15 quid. :lol:
Which worked a treat - got both lights undone and out, went to get the bulbs and it appears I have lost them :lol: At least when I do it again it will be fairly simple.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:41 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:00 pm I got as far as looking at impact drivers - halfords do one for 15 quid. :lol:
Which worked a treat - got both lights undone and out, went to get the bulbs and it appears I have lost them :lol: At least when I do it again it will be fairly simple.
Good work! :lol:
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

When/if the weather ever gets better this is the next thing on the list

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/FindPost/996453

Water not beading on the roof just makes me think its not good for it.
Last edited by Broccers on Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Linky broken - you have lost a c from your .com!

Good thread though - I too am not getting beading with the autoglym roof treatment and although it is going under a car cover when the weather is showery, I wonder if fabsil is a better shout.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:43 am Linky broken - you have lost a c from your .com!

Good thread though - I too am not getting beading with the autoglym roof treatment and although it is going under a car cover when the weather is showery, I wonder if fabsil is a better shout.
Fixed.

Mines coming from here. The universal has UV protection https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Fabsil_Univ ... r_with_UV/
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I used Fabsil on my Elise roof - despite it only being a couple of years old at the time and living in a garage, it still managed to leak. Fabsil cured that, though not fully where there were seams in the roof.

Porsche roofs are multi-layer though so don’t leak like Lotus ones.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:05 am I used Fabsil on my Elise roof - despite it only being a couple of years old at the time and living in a garage, it still managed to leak. Fabsil cured that, though not fully where there were seams in the roof.

Porsche roofs are multi-layer though so don’t leak like Lotus ones.
I see horror stories of fried electrics under the seats from badly maintained drains and water ingress in boxsters. This seems to be a neater solution, brushing on rather than spraying it all over the paint and windows. Verus 80 quid for a detailer to do it I figured it's within my narrow skilz set :lol: :D
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I never looked before to see how many 3.4 987 sport editions there were in the UK
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/p ... on#!newreg

151 - Not that many!