Car covers

Explosive Newt

Car covers

Post by Explosive Newt »

Is it worth covering up a car that lives outside and is used once a week to once a fortnight? Does it protect the roof/paintwork from the elements or does trapping moisture underneath it just do more harm than good?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Car covers

Post by Rich B »

Is your car getting particularly dirty in the week you're not using it?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Just clean/wax it and leave it outside - covers can do more damage than good, especially scratching the paintwork.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Depends on the car, and the cover.

Just be aware that most of the ‘waterproof’ covers out there really aren’t, a car needs to be clean before you drag the cover over it, and most of them are a faff to fold up and store between uses.

If it’s a reasonably modern car which doesn’t suffer from rust / damp / leaks and is used every couple of weeks or so then I really wouldn’t bother.

If it’s for longer term storage over winter months then it might be more worthwhile. The only covers I’ve found which are both properly waterproof and breathable and don’t fall to bits are from here,

https://www.classicadditions.com/en-GB/ ... prod_10077

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Despite their adds everywhere, avoid storm force. They’re hard feeling, not waterproof, the one I bought was a horrendous fit, and started disintegrating within a few months.
Cheers, Harry
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

I have a fancy breathable one for the 6 series. I never use it now and wouldn't bother again unless the car was sitting for quite some time. In fairness, it was pretty good and did what it said, but the pain of putting it on, taking it off whilst being careful not to let the inner microfibre touch the ground, drying it, carefully folding it up... couldn't be doing with it. I also had a suspicion that some debris had blown under the cover and caused some scratches. Couldn't be sure, though.

I sometimes use a partial cover that only covers the cockpit. I use it when we have lots of heavy rain / continuous hot days. Handily, this one also goes as far as covering the drain areas, so no worry about water in the footwell/boot. It's easy to put on/take off, doesn't pick up all the crap off the ground, and doesn't blow about too much.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Rich B wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:58 pm Is your car getting particularly dirty in the week you're not using it?
This is my main concern - in autum lots of small leaves come off the hedgerows and I am worried (perhaps stupidly) that they will mulch up and block drainage channels etc.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Checking and cleaning out the gutters once a week is far less hassle than making sure the car and the cover are spotlessly clean Before use every week.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Alex88 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:04 pm I have a fancy breathable one for the 6 series. I never use it now and wouldn't bother again unless the car was sitting for quite some time.
well it appears Alex deleted his post...
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Yes, I did. I wrote a reply to your post thinking it was in response to mine. Saw it wasn't, so deleted it.