Your fleet running reports

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:34 pm
Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:58 pm Have you looked at what a 'service' includes for your M-class, Dave? Oil change and visual inspection of a few things. They're a joke, especially considering the price main dealers charge.
It’s what made me stop getting the Mercedes warranty which despite being great cover, wasn’t worth the increased service costs.

Dave!
Does the MB warranty still require dealer service? BMW dropped that a long time ago.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I can't understand why I find BMW main dealer servicing to be relatively reasonable even on an older car, yet Merc main dealers aren't - even when they're part of the same dealer group.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Curiosity got the better of me but the Mercedes website doesn’t give service prices, you can only request a quote which seems very old fashioned. Just wanted to see how much more they charge for an oil change on a AMG 63 vs a C63 :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

New fronts are on.

Currently at the wriggling-on-fresh-treadblocks-still-wearing-mould-release stage, so feel comparatively woolly. Will take a few more miles before I can assess them. Zero tram lining though!

New rear TPMS doesn’t suffer any freaking out at 70 (or a little higher). [mention]Matty[/mention]

All good!

He asked if I’d changed the front pads & discs - cos it had confused the chief mechanic. They always paint the centres. They checked records and realised it wasn’t them.... and then painted the centres anyway to match the rears. 8-)

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Time to get the white pen out!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

PS4S 8-)
Left over crest; tightens.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:04 pm
V8Granite wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:34 pm
Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:58 pm Have you looked at what a 'service' includes for your M-class, Dave? Oil change and visual inspection of a few things. They're a joke, especially considering the price main dealers charge.
It’s what made me stop getting the Mercedes warranty which despite being great cover, wasn’t worth the increased service costs.

Dave!
Does the MB warranty still require dealer service? BMW dropped that a long time ago.
There are too many ways they can get out of it to risk it. For example despite coming with a full main dealer warranty when I bought it from MB Leeds, when I went to have some corrosion done on the inner door jams (a common issue) they hunted and found one of the dealerships was technically a Jaguar garage at the time and threw it out. Despite it being signed off as a full MB dealer service history, buying it from Merc and then signing it :lol:

I had it done after a little fight with Leeds but think if I hadn’t just bought it I’d have really struggled with them.

It may have changed but I see all main dealers as weasel like as each other in that regard.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

mik wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:23 pm New fronts are on.

Currently at the wriggling-on-fresh-treadblocks-still-wearing-mould-release stage, so feel comparatively woolly. Will take a few more miles before I can assess them. Zero tram lining though!

Also as the owner of a lightweight 2 door extreme sports coupe, although yours isn’t a turbo, pff :roll: I can guarantee you will be impressed by the tyres. A big step on from my normal Asymetric favourites.

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Compact is mostly ready for the Kempton Solo tomorrow. My preparation extended to putting legal tyres on it. Didn’t get around to fuel. I’ll have to do that tomorrow.

No risk of coming home with a trophy of any kind though, there’s a lot of cars in my class, including a couple of people I know to be very quick. It’s all top fun though 8-)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

The combined smell of warm old BMW, and cool autumn morning. Lovely.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

mik wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:23 pm

New rear TPMS doesn’t suffer any freaking out at 70 (or a little higher). @Matty

All good!

He asked if I’d changed the front pads & discs - cos it had confused the chief mechanic. They always paint the centres. They checked records and realised it wasn’t them.... and then painted the centres anyway to match the rears. 8-)

TBH I think my TPMS situation was a little unique.

I did look your Twitter image and saw the clean, newly painted hub and thought "Mik's a hub painter? He's changed" - I should have known it was CMC. I was planning to travel up to him to have mine serviced there, but at 6 hours away.....
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

A great day driving round cones with Mr [mention]Sundayjumper[/mention] and others.

Almost won the class but beaten to it by a couple of pesky Micras which just seem to be quick at this. 0.3s from 1st to 2nd in class and I was just 0.8s behind that.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Nice :D 8-)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Sporting some really crappy wheels today, I was sixth in my class. Different class to Jon as it’s split by engine size.

Although “only” sixth I’m pretty chuffed, as I was faster than the other two Compacts there today, both of which were being driven by people more experienced than I am.

63236241-06F9-4B22-BB3C-611E4C551C4F.jpeg
63236241-06F9-4B22-BB3C-611E4C551C4F.jpeg (137.8 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Yeah, I left out the bit about Steve beating me by 9 seconds :lol: well done chap.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I wasn't going to mention it but what can I say ? Yesterday suited my gearing.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

MOT day for the 6 series - albeit a few months late :oops:
Passed but there’s oil seeping between the undertrays. Getting tired of this crap BMW engineering - it goes through seals an abnormal amount. Must be a design problem.

Defender also managed to piss me off, check engine light and limp mode just before a big hill. Which it would only do 25 mph up. Stopped at a golf course and turned it on and off a bunch but it didn’t fix it. Decided to go out of limp mode by itself after a few miles. Get home and plug in code reader and it’s the MAF circuit - reset and it’s fine now. One pleasant surprise was that I’ve never had a code reader plugged into it so expected 30 codes (maybe from watching hoovies garage too much) but it was just the 1.

Fault codes on cars are stupid on the whole though. The fact that still no car will tell you what the fault is and give you an option to clear it. Something car manufacturers can learn from plant machinery there.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Some cones, yesterday

speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

JonMad wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:28 pm Some cones, yesterday

8-)

How long does it take to stop getting lost in the course and actually set a time :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Twisty! 8-)