Suggest a car

Jackleg

Suggest a car

Post by Jackleg »

I've started a new job which involves a commute of 25,000 miles a year, my current car (MK5 golf) is costing a fortune in fuel. The commute is 85% dual carriageway.
What can the hive mind suggest?
Budget £10k
Needs to be an estate
Does more than 32mpg

Looking at Mondeo's and Mazda 6's and possibly 3 series so far.
DeskJockey

Re: Suggest a car

Post by DeskJockey »

The gen 3 Mazda 6 is lovely and in the higher trim levels very well kitted out. A decent amount of 3-5 year old cars available in that budget.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Volvo XC70? Volvos are always good at bashing up and down the motorway. [mention]Jobbo[/mention] liked his iirc.
An absolute unit
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

You've not said how big an estate. Volvo V60 is extremely comfortable and they tend to be well equipped. If you want something bigger maybe a Skoda Superb? Both will do big miles without complaint.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

Volvo's are a good shout. Although for some reason I have it in my mind that the XC70 has a huge running cost.
Skoda is also a good idea. The estate doesn't need to be huge MK5 Golf or slightly larger.
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

Jackleg wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:12 pm Volvo's are a good shout. Although for some reason I have it in my mind that the XC70 has a huge running cost.
Skoda is also a good idea. The estate doesn't need to be huge MK5 Golf or slightly larger.
I think the XC70s have the weak Geartronic gearbox.

How about a Jag XF Sportbrake? 3.0 V6 diesel and 270 bhp.

Does your commute going into cities where their may be a future low emission zone?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Can probably bag some bargain 330/335d E91s now. And the 6cyl E91s seem to be holding their value well. Personally I prefer the pre-facelift not so much for looks but that they just seem better built. A lot of the facelift ones I've been in have felt flimsy - might be down to the ePAS, where the pre-facelift are hydraulic.

The petrol versions (330i/335i) will manage 30-35mpg on a cruise so may also be worth a look out for.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Auris Hybrid estate? You didn't say it had to be interesting!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

7 Series. You don’t really need an estate.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Octavia vRS
Left over crest; tightens.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

If you're not going into cities that need ULEZ then a diesel powered comfortable mile muncher seems to be the answer. As SundayJumper suggested a 7 series, I'm legally obliged to say you should get an XJ.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:38 pm Volvo XC70? Volvos are always good at bashing up and down the motorway. @Jobbo liked his iirc.
Mine was a V90 so a generation newer, and I'd almost forgotten I had it now - it was pretty dull. I didn't dislike it but I had no desire to buy it at the end of the lease.

Funnily enough, the criteria are similar to those I had earlier this year. I really wanted something 4wd so I didn't end up stuck at work if it snows but I compromised, bought something I actually like and a set of winter wheels and tyres. Merc CLS Shooting Brake; I'd always want the V6 rather than the 4-cyl diesel and get about 40mpg true average (42-43 on the display) doing my 68 mile commute, 90% motorway. You might get closer to 50mpg out of the CLS250 but do the maths and decide whether the engine is worth the compromise.

A 320d Touring or C220 CDI estate will get you 50mpg and do the job virtually as well, but I'd go for a 5-series or E-class instead; they're about the same price on the used market. And having done just under 20k miles so far in the CLS, I can vouch for Mercs being relaxing on this sort of commute.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I'd try a S205 Merc. I had a W205 C220d and it was a superb car. Did great mpg and was nice to drive. Nothing went wrong in 2.5yrs or 80,000 miles.

Premium Plus is crucial for nice spec with good nav and a belting sound system.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Should get into a mk3 superb for 10k. Adaptive cruise, apple car play and 50mpg. I like mine - Exec 190 dsg.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Shlergen wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:24 pm Should get into a mk3 superb for 10k. Adaptive cruise, apple car play and 50mpg. I like mine - Exec 190 dsg.
Superb 3 is great. Not sure I could suffer a 4cyl diesel though. I'd rather something with 6cyl if going the diesel route. The superb is also a bit roly-poly.

I certainly wouldn't be looking at any BMW 4cyl - too many catastrophes lurking
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:51 pm I'm legally obliged to say you should get an XJ.

I'm not; XF Sportbrake?
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

Some good suggestions, thank you.
I hadn't thought of a Jag, that could potentially be a good way to waft along the miles. Merc's have never really appealed to me, but thinking about it, I'm not sure that I've ever even sat in one. So prehaps I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss them. An F30 330d is making its way to the top of the list at the moment.

I must admit that the thought of a 4 cylinder diesel isn't exactly setting my heart racing, it's more a matter of necessity at the moment. I'm still rather ashamed with myself for even considering a diesel.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

XF Sportbrake seconded.

Get the 3.0 V6 diesel, it’s an excellent engine: I do mostly motorway miles in mine and get 48-49mpg most of the time (although mine is the 4 door so you might be a bit worse off). It’s extremely happy to cruise in 70mph in 8th gear but drop a couple of cogs and it’s got the torque to blast past anything and it’s remarkably smooth and tractable. I bought mine to eat up my regular Oxford to Cambridge commute and it does that with ease.

There is a 2.2 diesel but I found that under-powered.

There are plenty around as it’s a popular car and £10k will net you something 7-8 years old with a decent spec and not too high mileage.

Here’s one that doesn’t ring alarm bells on first viewing:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detai ... 9224041990
Last edited by Explosive Newt on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:59 am XF Sportbrake seconded.

Get the 3.0 V6 diesel, it’s an excellent engine: I do mostly motorway miles in mine and get 48-49mpg most of the time (although mine is the 4 door so you might be a bit worse off). It’s extremely happy to cruise in 70mph in 8th gear but drop a couple of cogs and it’s got the torque to blast past anything and it’s remarkably smooth and tractable. I bought mine to eat up my regular Oxford to Cambridge commute and it does that with ease.

There are plenty around as it’s a popular car and £10k will net you something 6 years old with a decent spec and not too high mileage.
Only 2 on AT - both with 150k+ miles
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:08 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:59 am XF Sportbrake seconded.

There are plenty around as it’s a popular car and £10k will net you something 6 years old with a decent spec and not too high mileage.
Only 2 on AT - both with 150k+ miles
Sorry - have edited my post after a reality check on autotrader. I was basing that on my experience of the saloon, estates are at a bit more of a premium I guess.