Coronavirus

Beany

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Beany »

God it's really not worth it, is it?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Beany wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:36 pm God it's really not worth it, is it?
Depends if it's part of a bigger picture or not. One thing in isolation is maybe not worth worrying about but when several things including restricted movement and social interactions based on pseudoscience are being forced on us maybe not. I had hoped for a breakaway from compliance from this government, a bit of real thought leadership, but I have to admit the peoples government thing I feel is utter bollocks. We were given a choice that would appeared to be similar to the US in 2016, the least worst.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:57 pm Even if there is no proof either way, what's wrong with just erring on the side of caution? It's only a fvcking mask ffs!
They're muzzles man. Get with the programme.

I feel exactly the same way as you do about them, its a small thing for anybody to do. My Mum's immune system is virtually non-existent, so given everyone is back at school now and it seems to be on the rise, we still can't go to see her with the grandkids as its just not worth the risk. I genuinely thought we'd be past all this by now, but with flu season on the way I've got a bad feeling its going to be some sort of second lockdown at this rate.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I personally find masks helpful as they stop me touching my face. Either way I’m probably fucked as I walk my fluffy dog through London then the little shit decides to jump on my head and wash my face when I’m sitting on the sofa 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I hate wearing the bloody things - I've tried a few different styles and they are either too hot and sweaty or slightly too small meaning the back of my ears begin to hurt.

But I'm still wearing them where needed. I just try to restrict my time in Shops etc to a minimum.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Ascender wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:12 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:57 pm Even if there is no proof either way, what's wrong with just erring on the side of caution? It's only a fvcking mask ffs!
They're muzzles man. Get with the programme.

I feel exactly the same way as you do about them, its a small thing for anybody to do. My Mum's immune system is virtually non-existent, so given everyone is back at school now and it seems to be on the rise, we still can't go to see her with the grandkids as its just not worth the risk. I genuinely thought we'd be past all this by now, but with flu season on the way I've got a bad feeling its going to be some sort of second lockdown at this rate.
I believe that protecting the elderly and vulnerable by keeping them safe, but allowing the rest of the population to go about normal business with a few sensible measures is the way to do it. We can't realistically keeping having 3/6 month lockdowns every 6 months without causing undue suffering to the majority who are largely unaffected.

My mum and father in law are highly vulnerable they are both Diabetic to some degree, mum has long standing chest issues and is on full time antiboitics, he has Prostate cancer (recent dsicovery) and heart disease.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

RichB explained it well I n a post somewhere and it’s the exactly the same view as mine. It’s about being a constant reminder about the situation everyone is in. If it means you are a little more cautious or have fewer incidents where you forget and get close to someone or rub your face etc then it has to be of benefit.

It’s too easy to become complacent without regular reminders.

For example what I’d I have it, they wipe the stuff down at my local petrol station and are doing a good job, I forgot my mask so went home and got it. I could have passed it to the cashier and she then to loads of people throughout the day.

As all the graphs we saw were showing exponential curves then even a small percentage improvement at any stage has a multiple affect further on.

Plus mine is the front of a 55 Deltic so when I wear my mask people think I’m cool.

Dave!
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Different world innit.

My masks hang on inside of the front door - leave the house, mask goes on - simple. (GTi tartan fabric ;) )
It's now normal.

My wife is asthmatic, she usually gets at least one bad attack per winter that will end up in hospital. Spring is underway now and she's not had one attack over winter, let alone a bad one. This could be attributed to many things but she's said she'll continue wearing a mask in the winters to come.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Beany wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:12 am
Pete_ wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:50 am
Broccers wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:17 pm https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54081131

They can f o this time.

So the rule isn't changing, there's just more enforcement power now? But being able to gather in larger groups in the workplace, and the government encouraging us to return to the workplace to do that, makes a bit of a mockery of it.
Well, not so much - at home you're probably not separated by perspex screens with sanitisation stations at every door, with each seating position being two meters apart.

You know, assuming employers have taken it seriously - which obviously isn't guaranteed, and in some cases, less practical, etc.
Not forgetting how you get to work - I don't recall the public transport sytems having perspex screens with sanitisation stations at every door, with each seating position being two meters apart ;)
I don't really recall seats :lol:
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

drcarlos wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:52 pm
I believe that protecting the elderly and vulnerable by keeping them safe, but allowing the rest of the population to go about normal business with a few sensible measures is the way to do it. We can't realistically keeping having 3/6 month lockdowns every 6 months without causing undue suffering to the majority who are largely unaffected.
Agreed.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Christ the amount of "woe-is-me" going around at the moment has gone stratospheric in the last 2 days. News outlets dragging up insufferable morons.

"but we're a 5 person family - our children won't get to see their grandparents with this new 6 person limit" Here's an idea - how about one of you thick twonk parents stays at home? People are whinging like this latest measure is worse than anything that's gone before, which clearly it very much isn't.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’m confused, it’s so hard to understand etc all over the news, at the same time reporting on a sharp rise in cases followed by a piece from Andrew Lloyd Webber crying into his fortune about theatres losing money of they’re not allowed to fill to capacity.
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

unzippy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:13 am Different world innit.

My masks hang on inside of the front door - leave the house, mask goes on - simple. (GTi tartan fabric ;) )
It's now normal.

My wife is asthmatic, she usually gets at least one bad attack per winter that will end up in hospital. Spring is underway now and she's not had one attack over winter, let alone a bad one. This could be attributed to many things but she's said she'll continue wearing a mask in the winters to come.
Loads less pollution when you are made to work at home. The weather was completely different too when the police actually patrolled the streets stopping and asking you where you are driving to.

Yet when the rules were relaxed its turned into the wild west for crime in Sheffield. They are good at stopping law abiding people but not criminals, who dont wear masks when they are blasting each other with shotguns.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I see NHS Scotland have launched their “Protect Scotland” contact tracing app... Only reason I know is because of a tech forum, I haven’t actually seen anything about it elsewhere.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think these new lockdowns will do more harm than good tbh. I had to go out for a bit last night and it seemed like business as usual despite Glasgow being under new restrictions. People will just get confused and fed up with the seemingly contradictory rules and ignore them.
An absolute unit
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

I had promised myself I'd stay out of this thread, but things seem to have taken another worrying turn.

And I'm taking about this "moonshot" mass testing business.

Not only is it yet another excuse to pump billions public money into private contracts with companies like Serco and Deloitte which have no qualifications beyond their donations to Tory coffers, with no oversight or mechanism to ensure actually delivery, but also a much, much darker element: immunity passports.

As a nation, we may be about to willingly walk into a situation where people will be required to demonstrate with the correct papers their strict adherence to a questionable system, run by inept commercial interests and managed by corrupt forces, if they are allowed to partake in any meaningful version of "normal" life.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

That aspect of the papers and police state had started to occur to me, but I think I'm more concerned at the moment about the economy and whether we'll even have an economy left by Christmas.

The latest rules are even more confusing and back-tracking and I totally get why people have had enough. The government appear to have f*cked this up from start to finish really and I'm dreading winter, I suspect we'll be holed up in the house again for months.
Cheers,

Mike.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Listening to talk radio this morning and there was a dr who used to work a pfizer saying that an urgent review had been ordered into pcr testing method as it results in far too many false positives. This has not been picked up by one media source but he was requesting that jhb presented this to Matt Hancock next week as he seems to get a weekly slot on her show as it would knock a large number off of the current load of infections.
He was also quick to rubbish Ferguson and his model that even though it’s been proven to be utter bollocks the government still seem to be following.

Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Ascender wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:50 am The government appear to have f*cked this up from start to finish really
Sadly even the concept of having "fucked it up" relies on the premise that the objective was ever responsible management of the nation and its economy.

It simply isn't the case. Literally zero fucks are given about the welfare of 99.9% the electorate. The exclusive objective of every action of the current government is the furtherment of the financial interests of a handful of individuals to the greatest extent they can get away with - which, given a concerted effort to dismantle any checks and balances from the civil service, judiciary, press or general public and a willingness to flout legal constraints, ignore public opinion, and just outright lie, is a very considerable extent.

In fact, far from fucking it up, they've done a smashing job. The distraction of Covid has allowed multiple outrageous bits of legislation to be slipped through without scrutiny, billions of pounds in public money to be handed out to 'friendly' companies, the path cleared for exclusive procurement and private outsourcing in the NHS, the fundamental concept of civil liberty to be eroded, and the internal workings of the democratic system to be, to a large extent, dismantled. Top job, fellas.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

What if they had done very little to save lives but the economy was hunky dory or affected in a very small way. The number of deaths would be in-recoverable for any government.

You’d have “50,000 Tory deaths” etc etc even if the numbers of affected were no different to if they had put measures in place.

It’s one hell of a situation either way.

Dave!