No F1 thread?

DeskJockey

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by DeskJockey »

What's happened to Ferrari? Battling Williams at the back of the grid with Seb slowest.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

It’s the engine adjustments from the FIA dealings, they’re so down on power and the straights are so long they don’t stand a chance
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Pace looks consistent with the rest of the year so far.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Williams in Q2!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Renault have found some pace, bet Ricciardo is wondering if he's made the right decision.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

It's a risk but his stock rises with a decent performance, no matter which car. If I was Toto I'd have had him in a Merc long before now. 0.5s to your teammate is not great.

Supposed to be wet tomorrow, let's hope so.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:57 pm Renault have found some pace, bet Ricciardo is wondering if he's made the right decision.
Renault and McLaren have been fairly close this season, overall. One decent qualifying session (and hopefully race) doesn't mean he's made a bad decision going to McLaren.

So long as McLaren don't bodge fitting Mercedes engines next season, I think there's not much to worry about.

It's Carlos Sainz who must be scratching his head.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just had another look at Hamilton’s pole lap to double check something - he took Pouhon flat :shock:

Then looked at Leclerc’s onboard pole lap last year, big lift for Pouhon, actually the car didn’t look very stuck at all in sector 2 with him taking multiple stabs at the wheel to get it round the corners.
The aero on the 2019 Ferrari wasn’t all that good, really curious as to how much of a power advantage they were carrying, must have been over 100bhp though.
I don’t think their engine is as crap as they make out, the whole car is a turd. It’s not like you can compare it to the Alfa or Haas either as they’re even worse.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Yeah some graphics showed the power difference to be absolutely crazy last year. Perhaps they should have been more circumspect.

On a related note isn't the driver's drinks bottle a notorious water injection method? Hence all the silly jokes.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:46 pm Just had another look at Hamilton’s pole lap to double check something - he took Pouhon flat :shock:
Just caught up with it.

Yep - Pouhon flat. Staggering.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I fully expect the Pirelli tyres to just explode off the rims at turn 8 in turkey 😂
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

jamcg wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:59 pm It’s the engine adjustments from the FIA dealings, they’re so down on power and the straights are so long they don’t stand a chance
You say that, but they were the fastest through the speed trap at 192mph. I'd say they're running low downforce, hence the shit Q times.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Gwaredd wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:13 pm
jamcg wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:59 pm It’s the engine adjustments from the FIA dealings, they’re so down on power and the straights are so long they don’t stand a chance
You say that, but they were the fastest through the speed trap at 192mph. I'd say they're running low downforce, hence the shit Q times.
They’re running low downforce to compensate for the lack of power, if you look at Leclerc’s car in previous races he has been running hardly any rear wing at them all
mik

Post by mik »

The braking still blows me away (and the stability of the cars that allows them to turn in whilst braking so heavily).

Look how late the braking is for Les Combes around 35secs. :shock:

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It helps that he’s only scrubbing off 70 mph of speed for that. It’s the mental minimum apex speeds.
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

mik wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:41 am Look how late the braking is for Les Combes around 35secs. :shock:
It is shocking. For comparison, in the old Alfa GTAm RACE car, I arrive at roughly 190 kph and have to brake as hard as I possibly can at the 100m sign to even attempt to make it through Les Combes. Apples and oranges, maybe, but it puts the staggering performance of the modern F1 car into perspective.
Cunt.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That Ferrari rear wing is tiny and Leclerc is still being passed by everyone 😂
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

9 years old, but still awesome.
Marv

Post by Marv »

The boring dominance of the Mercedes is even being acknowledged by Hamilton now!

Decent racing going on further down the field though.

Although part of me likes seeing Ferrari suffer (as they're a bit too up themselves) I'd prefer it if they were in a position to take away wins from Mercedes. Same for RBR/McLaren/Renault, etc.
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »