No F1 thread?

Orange Cola

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Orange Cola »

It was a boring race but at least the pointy finger didn't win.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
GG.

Post by GG. »

I know Monaco is renowned for being a procession but the fact that Danny Ric could still win even though reportedly 25% down on power is crazy!
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Same as it ever was. Monaco has most often been won by the driver at the front doing the slowest pace he can. Last time I can remember someone properly streaking away was Senna who then skelped the wall at the tunnel I think.

As a spectacle it is probably quite the thing but as a TV viewer it is not generally one that offers much in excitement unless you have someone out of place, like Max, who then got a couple of half decent overtakes done.

I cannot see them getting rid of it but I would hazard a guess at a lot of the "fans" who attend wont watch much of the race.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I actually really enjoyed that race...

Yes, it was the intrinsic nature of Monaco that allowed DR to win with a stricken car - he'd have been a sitting duck at any other circuit.

But I loved the calmness and determination with which he approached the second half of the race. He drove brilliantly IMO - keeping his head, and (to paraphrase) winning at the slowest speed possible.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44530950

Red bull ditching Renault for Honda
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

He must know something about the future Honda engines that we don’t!
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Honda are now on a par with Renault for power. Apparently, the contract had a specific clause to void it if the Honda Canadian updates weren't up to snuff. Consider that Red Bull knew the performance of the Renault and the performance of the Honda through Toro Rosso.

Maclaren need to get shot of the bad luck magnet that is Alonso.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep, same power as the Renault but just a little more unreliable, but will probably be on par by next year.
Renault also work with their own fuel and oil supplier now so the Red Bull can’t get as much power out of the Renault as the works team.
They essentially have the same issues now that McLaren did during their final years with Mercedes.
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I thought they all used the same fuel?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

IIRC Redbull use ExxonMobil and Renault use BP/Castrol.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:49 pm Maclaren need to get shot of the bad luck magnet that is Alonso.
He's so unlucky to have won the Le Mans 24hr race 😕
Oui, je suis un motard.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Marv wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:41 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:49 pm Maclaren need to get shot of the bad luck magnet that is Alonso.
In a highly competitive and keenly contested class too! :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

He was very unlucky that Porsche and Audi decided to not take part, robbing him of a meaningful victory. I wonder if he can persuade all the other teams to not bother with the indy500 too.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The worst thing is it just adds to his arrogance. He keeps bleating on about being the fastest ever driver if he’s in equal machinery. He’s so up his own arse he has his own museum dedicated to his achievements already 😂
Marv

Post by Marv »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:39 pm
He was very unlucky that Porsche and Audi decided to not take part, robbing him of a meaningful victory. I wonder if he can persuade all the other teams to not bother with the indy500 too.
Good point Jimmy, your LM24 victories were so much more meaningful. 😁
Oui, je suis un motard.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Marv wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:26 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:39 pm

Good point Jimmy, your LM24 victories were so much more meaningful. 😁
Thanks but I think you're confusing LM24 with my outstanding 3rd place in the last evo karting meet where neither Dan Webster or his brother came to lap everyone. Twice.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:11 pm The worst thing is it just adds to his arrogance. He keeps bleating on about being the fastest ever driver if he’s in equal machinery. He’s so up his own arse he has his own museum dedicated to his achievements already 😂
The only team mate he's not comprehensively thrashed was Hamilton, who's apparently very handy himself. He was lapping 3 second faster than the other Toyota at one stage in the 24hrs.

I'd say he's definitely in the top ten F1 drivers of all time ever of all time but he's not won a race in 5 years.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Alonso may be brilliant at driving, but it’s still his own crap choices, arrogance and greed that have left him in one of the worst cars on the grid with no hope of winning even a single race.

And I like him!

It’s much like the Mclaren team though. I watched that Race Driver documentary on Amazon, and the smugness of the management team, so confident that every word they uttered and decision they made was pure correctness (because they are rich businessmen who ONLY make correct decisions), was laughable next to the results they gave.

At least Alonso seems to have mellowed out on his relentless pursuit of a car to give him a championship at all costs, but only after he’s left himself with no options.
Last edited by Rich B on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Oh come on Mito, Alonso had the fastest average lap time at this year’s Le Mans. Anyone can do a fast lap, to win a race takes consistency.
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I didn’t say he isn’t fast, just that he’s about a foot up his own arse.