Flu jab

Explosive Newt

Flu jab

Post by Explosive Newt »

It always makes me feel a bit off for a day but bloody hell I feel awful this year. At least it shows my immune system is working, I suppose.
scotta

Re: Flu jab

Post by scotta »

Going for mine tomorrow.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

My psychiatrist tells me I should take more risks so I'll skip it this year.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve never had one :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 pm I’ve never had one :lol:
This is nothing to be surprised by, You’re under 65, unlikely to be pregnant and unemployed. you don’t fit the NHS profile for getting one and you don’t have an employer with a health scheme offering you one.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Our work offers them but I've never had one because everyone else says they feel shite for days afterwards.

Im not old and fairly healthy so would rather just take the risk :lol:
Cheers, Harry
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 pm I’ve never had one :lol:

Probably because you had rather more pressing concerns (!).
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Even before that I remember we had a yearly flu jab day at school which was optional but I reckon 90% of the kids had it, then missed a few days of school afterwards.

When I had almost no immune system they recommended it but said I may end up really ill and back in hospital. Having just spent 6 months there I said I’ll take the risk. After having survived that just fine I shall continue to take that risk :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:56 am Even before that I remember we had a yearly flu jab day at school which was optional but I reckon 90% of the kids had it, then missed a few days of school afterwards.

When I had almost no immune system they recommended it but said I may end up really ill and back in hospital. Having just spent 6 months there I said I’ll take the risk. After having survived that just fine I shall continue to take that risk :lol:
So 90% at your school had it, but not you?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Nope, why would I bother to have something which would make me ill for a few days when it is optional?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’ve had a flu jab every year for the last 5 years at least. I’ve never felt ill afterwards.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Never had one before but booked in for Weds. I’ll let you all know how it goes.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The wife had one for the first time this year, she didn’t feel bad. It was about £10 at the local chemist.

I just take Manuka Honey and good amount of vitamin C.

Manuka honey is incredible stuff, completely stopped all cases of sniffles and Nursery/ school based lurgies for both my boys so I started taking it as well.

Dave!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I have got it almost every year since I was a med student. I’ve looked after people ventilated on intensive care with influenza the last few years and, careful as I am with masks etc I’m happy that my risk is high enough that maybe feeling off colour with the jab for a day or so is worth it.

The way I figure it is, the more new stuff your immune system is exposed to, the more intensely it will react and the worse you will feel. If you don’t feel much, then there isn’t much new for your immune system to get to grips with and so you might not have needed it. If you do, then there were lots of new antigens for the system to recognise, triggering a bigger reaction, hence you definitely needed it. I guess that’s why those who get it annually are less likely to notice it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I've felt bad over the years with it when not being too healthy to start off with. This year hadn't drank booze for 3 weeks and went to the gym everyday - didn't notice a thing apart from the gym pain. :lol:

It does work tho - I've not had flu for a long time.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Broccers wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:59 am It does work tho - I've not had flu for a long time.
I've never had a flu jab and I've only ever had flu once, when I was 11, some 30yrs ago :lol:

Are you all like Tiny Tim Cratchit or something?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Part of free diabetes treatment so why not :D

I never had flu apart from every tuesday aged 18 till 22, or was that a comedown? Was pretty miserable anyway :lol: