Cash machine blunders

Broccers

Cash machine blunders

Post by Broccers »

Had one yesterday - card in, select 50 quid, card out, walk off ......... without the cash.

Now what happened next was SHOCKING. The guy behind RAN down the carpark and GAVE ME MY 50 quid, saying was I trying to make him rich?

Another guy in the carpark couldnt believe it either. To be fair neither could I. So the UK isnt all bad.

Last time I did something as stoopid was in Bali 2002 - left card in the machine after taking the cash and didn't realise until at Heathrow airport a few days later - Bali local who was behind took as much as the machine allowed so probably had a nice year off :lol:

What's your worst?

(By the way I was dealing with something on my phone and wasn't thinking, not shitfaced which is when mishaps usually occur) :lol:
mik

Re: Cash machine blunders

Post by mik »

Only ever done that once. Took £10 out of a machine and walked off without the cash. Problem was I was a student and it was my last £10. Unfortunately there was no Mr Honest to chase me down. 🙁

A lesson that has stayed with me for a LONG time.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Never left card or cash in a machine but in a past life working in Retail Banking, I was responsible for loading them up with cash. When the Irish Republic changed over to a new £20 note, it transpired it was the same size and weight as the then UK £10 note.

So many "ex UK" hoppers were acquired and all needed some electronics updating before being used. One of mine wasn't updated... :)

The Cash point was located in a Petrol Station across the Liffey from the Branch and as you can imagine, every £10 you took out gave you £20. There was apparently a queue of people in the station all day, each making 30 x £10 withdrawals and getting £600 out.

The customer list was known by midday on the Monday but it took months to get it all back.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

When I was 18 I was with a same age friend who got some cash out as we headed to the pub. Since he was dithering over how much to take out, I got bored and pressed the £200 button. Despite the abundance of cash in his pocket, he was reluctant to spend it all on drinks since it represented his entire month's money for food, petrol etc :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

One time I was at a self service till and the person before must've got cashback and forgot to pick it up. I ran out to give them their £20 and went back in to pay for my shopping. When I went outside they'd waited around and gave me a tenner for being honest.

Must've dropped it out of my pocket on the way home as I couldn't find it later. Easy come easy go :lol:.
An absolute unit
Barry

Post by Barry »

I got cash back from a self serve till a couple years back, only £20 but I forgot to pick the cash up as it's delivered in a hidden slot low down in the machine. I realised as I walked out of the self serve area but between then and walking back it was gone. Either a customer with lightening reactions or staff. Staff played innocent when I asked. Learned my lesson, no more cash back from machines..

Edit to add: nothing to do with Zeds story! :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No cash machine dramas here :lol:
The only random thing of note is that the atm by my school used to give out cash from £5 and could do £5 denominations because of it. Haven’t seen a ATM machine do that since but it sure was handy for school.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

€5 notes returning to ATM’s in Ireland in 2009 was the saddest part of whole thing...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:27 am Only ever done that once. Took £10 out of a machine and walked off without the cash. Problem was I was a student and it was my last £10. Unfortunately there was no Mr Honest to chase me down. 🙁

A lesson that has stayed with me for a LONG time.
Ah yes its not the amount but the impact it has.

While on the trip mentioned in my initial post my ccard was also cloned so I got a bill for over £2000 of shipping container charges from china a while later. Apparently I'd even signed for them so must've been true until a year after it transpired I hadn't and got the charge taken off the card. :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:32 am The customer list was known by midday on the Monday but it took months to get it all back.
Did they get letters calling them tea leafs?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:39 am When I was 18 I was with a same age friend who got some cash out as we headed to the pub. Since he was dithering over how much to take out, I got bored and pressed the £200 button. Despite the abundance of cash in his pocket, he was reluctant to spend it all on drinks since it represented his entire month's money for food, petrol etc :lol:
God them were the days of poverty :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:12 am One time I was at a self service till and the person before must've got cashback and forgot to pick it up. I ran out to give them their £20 and went back in to pay for my shopping. When I went outside they'd waited around and gave me a tenner for being honest.

Must've dropped it out of my pocket on the way home as I couldn't find it later. Easy come easy go :lol:.
Very generous - I did think about giving the lad a tenner.... for a split second and didnt :D
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:46 am No cash machine dramas here :lol:
The only random thing of note is that the atm by my school used to give out cash from £5 and could do £5 denominations because of it. Haven’t seen a ATM machine do that since but it sure was handy for school.
Cardiff University atm's used to do this in the late 90's :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Broccers wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:17 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:32 am The customer list was known by midday on the Monday but it took months to get it all back.
Did they get letters calling them tea leafs?
They initially got strongly worded letters reminding them of the fact that the money needed to be returned and that it didn't matter that it was the Banks fault. This was good enough for 99%. There was a group who had spent the money but owned up so this meant multiple small loans to pay off the extra.

A very small group went down the "Prove It" route so screen shots from the petrol stations CCTV and bank statements with multiple £10 withdrawals were sent. There were a few still fighting the case when I left though.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:19 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:12 am One time I was at a self service till and the person before must've got cashback and forgot to pick it up. I ran out to give them their £20 and went back in to pay for my shopping. When I went outside they'd waited around and gave me a tenner for being honest.

Very generous
The reputation that Scottish people have is a lie, we're a very generous people :lol:.
An absolute unit
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:39 am When I was 18 I was with a same age friend who got some cash out as we headed to the pub. Since he was dithering over how much to take out, I got bored and pressed the £200 button. Despite the abundance of cash in his pocket, he was reluctant to spend it all on drinks since it represented his entire month's money for food, petrol etc :lol:
I used to do that to a mate here - quite funny when the 'max cash' button is two grand :lol: :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I had an old Solo card that let me take £5 notes out. When they stopped and you needed £10 I waited years for the interest to rise on the now un-used account but the bastards sent a cheque and then closed it :( .

I was only on £2.14 an hour so that’s half a shifts salary!!

Dave!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

How fkn short were your shifts :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:21 pm How fkn short were your shifts :lol:
£2.14 x 8 hours = £17.12

£17.12 / 2 = £8.12

Therefore £10 is just over half a shifts pay.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I thought he meant the fiver because drunk and not paying attention 8-)