Legoland

V8Granite

Legoland

Post by V8Granite »

I wasn’t expecting a fun filled day for me and the wife while the kids played but I was expecting more.

Every single food hut was operated by an in-efficient zombie who worked as slow as possible. Out of idle curiosity it took 6 minutes for the person in front to order 2 donuts and a coffee.
They operated in a weird fashion, it would be like cooking a Sunday dinner by first cooking the carrots, then starting on the chicken, then the potatoes etc. Just awful planning. A lot were closed as well despite it being quite busy on a Saturday.

A load of rides were closed and the big play area even though they close from October till March anyway.

The staff try their best to suck any joy from the place, absolutely no interaction.

I know it’s a floor but the queue for the fire engine race was disgusting, it hadn’t been cleaned in months, Connor fell over and his hands were black.

We managed a family day for £15 as friends of ours had free tickets but if we had paid full price, around £200 for a family of 4 I’d be livid.

The kids appeared to enjoy it but they had more fun looking at the Lego built mini world than anything else. Which also sadly looks like it’s 6 months delayed with maintenance.

If you are tempted to take your kids, go to CBeebies land instead, 100 times better for kids. It’s the worst place we’ve ever been.

I think we will stick with national trust places and just letting the kids roam and explore.

Dave!
RobYob

Re: Legoland

Post by RobYob »

Oh that's a damn shame, went about four years ago (Ninjago bit was still under construction) and had a good time and was vaguely thinking of going back now youngest is big enough to get more out of it.

We did a nearby hotel+two day pass package so enjoyed exploring Windsor great park in the same holiday.

Went to Eurodisney two years ago expecting to thoroughly hate it. But the whole thing was so slickly run it proved about as painless a way of being separated from cash as you're likely to find.

We go English Heritage pass for places to roam, seems to have more stuff in the East that NT.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Last time we went (quite a few years ago now), the queues were so big that I think we got on 4 very meh rides all day. Decided we wouldn’t bother again.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We went on a rainy day, that helped (somewhat) with the queues. Also brought a picnic. We did end up staying the full day so wanted dinner. The experience in the cafeteria was exactly as described and rather disappointing.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The submarine ride and coastguard boat driving but we’re good but everything else was very disappointing.

It’s Lego, the opportunities to make it fun are endless.

Dave!
scotta

Post by scotta »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:44 am We went on a rainy day, that helped (somewhat) with the queues. Also brought a picnic. We did end up staying the full day so wanted dinner. The experience in the cafeteria was exactly as described and rather disappointing.
Likewise the days we went were soaking. But we knew the forecast so all had waterproofs on and as a result got on pretty much everything straight away. This would be about 6 years ago may very well be different now.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I went 20 years ago :lol:
I just remember the Lego driving experience, I got a major bollocking for treating it as bumper cars and breaking all the rules and wasn’t allowed back to that ride. It was probably crap then too as my parents never took me back.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I have no interest in going to Legoland Winsor. I've heard nothing but horror stories.

Legoland in Billund is fantastic and I would completely recommend it.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I live about 2 miles from Legoland (and haven’t actually been). I bet a big proportion of visitors these days are merlin pass holders just popping in for a few hours every week or two rather than full price new visitors, I expect this changes the expectation levels. It’s also right near the end of the season, so I expect they try and delay any works that could close anything til the off season.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 pm I have no interest in going to Legoland Winsor. I've heard nothing but horror stories.

Can't argue with that. Scandinavia is just better.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’m seriously tempted by the Merlin Passes...

A mates bought them for the family and one day trip to a theme park - Thorpe Park or whatever, not sure which ones are included - and a day out in Blackpool and it’s already paid for itself... the next 10 months are essentially freebies...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

We have one (via Tesco points) - the missus takes the boy to various places like legoland and sea life centre on weekdays. It has definitely changed the way people use places like that - visiting for a few hours rather than whole days.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The family are all Rollercoaster fans so it’s a no brainier for them...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I remember going when it was Windsor Safari Park. Did go to Legoland once for a Christmas-themed half day, see Santa etc, which was good but half the park was closed. Not that that would have been a problem as it turned out, as when we went on Tesco points a couple of years ago my daughter didn't want to go on very many of the rides anyway, but did enjoy the model cities etc.

Anyone else been to Bekonscot? Another place I went to as a kid and have enjoyed taking my kids there, they really enjoy that (except when it rains it does ruin it a bit).
Left over crest; tightens.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:46 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 pm

:o Easy now! :arrow:

(I got my first driving licence from Legoland Billund :P ).
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:47 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:46 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 pm

:o Easy now! :arrow:

(I got my first driving licence from Legoland Billund :P ).
I went when I was 3, 5 and 40. Had a fabulous time each time. I was too small and then to big for the driving licences, though. :cry:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

We went several years ago and they had plumbing issues. The only bog which worked in the whole place was right at the bottom of the hill/park. That sounds made up but I swear it isn't.

Then went back a year or so ago, and it wasn't too bad actually, although I do concede some of the staff had that brain dead manner mentioned in the thread. Food was ok though IIRC.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Every 2-3 years we buy the Thorpe Park pass. It’s usually like £50ish each, which is basically the cost of a single day there (or two days if you get half price tickets or BOGOF)

We do exactly as above, go for a few hours in the week or whatever, as it’s only like 30 mins from home.