Holiday or endurance trial?

JLv3.0

Re: Holiday or endurance trial?

Post by JLv3.0 »

OK guys we're on Page 3 now and I think it's about time we reached an agreement on the one type of holiday that is in fact best for EVERYONE.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

If we have the kids a week all inclusive somewhere close by does the trick, they want warmth (we live in Scotland) a park or two and the beach. We want all inclusive so if the little buggers do the usual "I don't like that" they can go pick something else.

If it is just the two of us we are more likely t take the van off and climb some hills or do some running or cycling.

When we had a caravan I almost always cooked and cleaned even though we are probably 50/50 at home for cooking and what not.

I do NOT fancy Neil's two weeks getting bitten in Hell's Kitchen!
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

A lot of my holidays for the last few years have been based around going to conferences and events that are kind of related to my work / personal development (but very much on my own time) then taking time to explore the area as well. California three years ago was my last properly self indulgent trip, but I've booked a flight to Macedonia in October for £43 return!

I spent a week cooking for a group of 30 earlier this summer, while I enjoy it I definitely don't consider it to be a holiday!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My record was cooking for 70 fresher kayakers...

We had this awesome pot that covered 4 rings of a cooker so could cook vast quantities. We had a production line of Jimmys doing the prep, I just had to cook it. Basically the same recipe repeated. Bolognese the first night, same recipe with chilli powder, cumin and kidney beans was chilli in the second night.

I used to love doing it...
Last edited by dinny_g on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:10 pm My record was cooking for 70 fresher kayakers...

We had this awesome pot that covered 4 rings of a cooker so could cook vast quantities. We had a production line of Jinny’s doing the prep, I just had to cook it. Basically the same recipe repeated. Bolognese the first night, same recipe with chilli powder, cumin and kidney beans was chilli in the second night.

I used to love doing it...
that sounds like absolute hell for me!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Of the Jobs we had to do on the committee, this was the best. :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Booked for next year. Back to France this time though :D
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Cool - how’s the owner getting round the new rules for next year??
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Presumably making the place less of a death trap?!
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:34 am Cool - how’s the owner getting round the new rules for next year??
Different place. Already set up for weddings/corporate events etc.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Rich B wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:37 am Presumably making the place less of a death trap?!
You joke, but there were some genuinely iffy bits in "our" chateau. Like the "death stairs".

There was a servants' staircase leading up from the kitchen, and as Mrs Nef and I were typically the last ones up, we take the room 2 floors directly above the kitchen. These stair are very very steep and tight, and most worryingly, have a handrail somewhere between knee and ankle height. Years of use have also rendered them quite shiny.
One night a couple of years ago, Mrs. Nef and I were once again the last survivors of a particularly boozy night. We had retired to bed, but a hour later had found ourselves in need of refreshment, and went back downstairs to the kitchen. In an alcohol-assisted post-coilial haze, we stumbled back up, with me roughly half a flight behind. Possibly due to her less-than-fully-clothed attire, I was fortunately paying more attention than usual, and watched as she slipped, tripped over herself and the low banister, somehow perfectly folding herself into a phoetus-like ball - the ideal shape to fall neatly down the centre well (2 stories up, stone floor beneath).
I will never know to this day how I reacted quickly enough or had enough strength, but I grabbed the banister opposite to me, caught her, and (in my foggy romanticised version, anyway), rotated her in one motion, and placed her back on her feet. Couldn't have done it a second time if you gave me a thousand goes.
Hence why they got christened the death stairs, and why, more recently, Mrs. Nef mostly goes up on all-fours when a little tipsy.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nefarious wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:01 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:37 am Presumably making the place less of a death trap?!
You joke, but there were some genuinely iffy bits in "our" chateau. Like the "death stairs".

There was a servants' staircase leading up from the kitchen, and as Mrs Nef and I were typically the last ones up, we take the room 2 floors directly above the kitchen. These stair are very very steep and tight, and most worryingly, have a handrail somewhere between knee and ankle height. Years of use have also rendered them quite shiny.
One night a couple of years ago, Mrs. Nef and I were once again the last survivors of a particularly boozy night. We had retired to bed, but a hour later had found ourselves in need of refreshment, and went back downstairs to the kitchen. In an alcohol-assisted post-coilial haze, we stumbled back up, with me roughly half a flight behind. Possibly due to her less-than-fully-clothed attire, I was fortunately paying more attention than usual, and watched as she slipped, tripped over herself and the low banister, somehow perfectly folding herself into a phoetus-like ball - the ideal shape to fall neatly down the centre well (2 stories up, stone floor beneath).
I will never know to this day how I reacted quickly enough or had enough strength, but I grabbed the banister opposite to me, caught her, and (in my foggy romanticised version, anyway), rotated her in one motion, and placed her back on her feet. Couldn't have done it a second time if you gave me a thousand goes.
Hence why they got christened the death stairs, and why, more recently, Mrs. Nef mostly goes up on all-fours when a little tipsy.
(Rubs hands together)

“Yes yes mrs Nefarious, crawl up the stairs like a leopard, it’s the only way”

Sly old fox you :lol:

Dave!
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Just back from the Perigord, two weeks in a rented house with amazing views and a private pool, with a few days camping either side in the Loire and Limousin. The paunch is definitely back so off the booze and onto the salads :lol: Cretinous driving on both sides of the channel; nothing changes there.