Fudge you Father Time!!!

V8Granite

Fudge you Father Time!!!

Post by V8Granite »

The wife has been going to the gym of late and has lost a load of weight, got fitter, all that good stuff.

I decided I really must do more before my 40th to hit the strength targets I wanted to hit so am training heavy again 4 times a week.

Monday - compound leg day
Tuesday - upper back day

Thursday - leg day
Friday - lower back day

This is all good, I do 45 minutes for each session and come out knackered, I go heavy and push myself.

When 22 I was doing 10 hours a week, cardio and doing a lot of rowing while going heavy. I also went out drinking, did 2 night classes, college and my day job. I was fine.

Now, after a mere 3 hours a week of heavy work my muscles just plain hurt, I have to have a sit down on my 600m walk back from the gym and I recover in a hot bath for about an hour afterwards.

In a couple of years I fully expect to sneeze and simultaneously do my back in and shit myself.

I still feel 21 :evil:

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Fudge you Father Time!!!

Post by Rich B »

Always a good idea to build up your compound leg.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Rich B wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:13 pm Always a good idea to build up your compound leg.
My name is infact Jake, I wanted to keep it on the downlow after the whole Rolf Harris thing though.

Dave!
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

After reading the first line I thought this was going to be a moan that she'd run off with someone else.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Everyone has their own goals and I’m no expert, but if you’re thinking you’re getting on a bit then surely cardio is better for you than lifting heavy weights and fucking yourself up.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

240PP wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:52 pm Everyone has their own goals and I’m no expert, but if you’re thinking you’re getting on a bit then surely cardio is better for you than lifting heavy weights and fucking yourself up.
Cardio is for old people or those who desire Lycra.

Dave!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Nice one, 40 is the age you realise that you cannot simple power through life anymore. (It's really 30 but no-one will admit that)

I've taken up Martial Arts again after a 20 year break, great fun and hopefully I'll finally get my Black Belt before I turn 45, maybe 50.... It's about the journey isn't it :lol:

Damn me if those young'un aren't effing fast though. But, as they say "Old age and Treachery will always beat youth and exuberance" 8-)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

RobYob wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:32 am Nice one, 40 is the age you realise that you cannot simple power through life anymore. (It's really 30 but no-one will admit that)

I've taken up Martial Arts again after a 20 year break, great fun and hopefully I'll finally get my Black Belt before I turn 45, maybe 50.... It's about the journey isn't it :lol:

Damn me if those young'un aren't effing fast though. But, as they say "Old age and Treachery will always beat youth and exuberance" 8-)
Yep definitely! Stupid young people !!

Luckily strength seems to be the last thing to leave you so I can still hold my weight. I bet they don’t walk like they’ve poohed themselves the next few days though :lol:

Dave!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:08 am
RobYob wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:32 am Nice one, 40 is the age you realise that you cannot simple power through life anymore. (It's really 30 but no-one will admit that)

Yep definitely! Stupid young people !!

Luckily strength seems to be the last thing to leave you so I can still hold my weight. I bet they don’t walk like they’ve poohed themselves the next few days though :lol:

Dave!
:D It's the involuntary "arrgghhhh fuck ow fuck ow" on trying to stand up or get out of the car after that's bit damning, I sound like my Dad :oops:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:11 pm In a couple of years I fully expect to sneeze and simultaneously do my back in and shit myself.
Sometimes you can do this just by sleeping a particular way.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

You all seem to be panicking a little early in my experience. I was 40 twenty five years ago and still haven't had the sneeze/shit experience yet. What am I doing wrong? :shock:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My "Downhill Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Whitewater Kayaking, Surfing" extreme mate did his back in Towel Drying his hair... :lol:
Last edited by dinny_g on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:48 pm My "Downhill Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Whitewater Kayaking, Surfing" extreme mate did his back in Towel Trying his hair... :lol:
Was it his back hair? :o
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:39 am
V8Granite wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:11 pm In a couple of years I fully expect to sneeze and simultaneously do my back in and shit myself.
Sometimes you can do this just by sleeping a particular way.
I've done this twice. Not the shitting yourself bit, just the sleeping wrong and waking up immobile.

It's not just us old farts though - my youthful colleague (19) was on a lads holiday, and front-flipped into a pool, not realising it was shallow as feck.

He first realised he had made a mistake when he couldn't walk, as he smashed his ankle on the bottom - chipped a bone, so he came back into work after a week off with crutches.

Then two days later, his neck flared up. Seems the sore ankle wasn't all he did - he's got an bulging disk in his neck and has been fully signed of by the doc for a full two weeks.

I shouldn't laugh, but I did. I laughed so hard.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:48 pm My "Downhill Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Whitewater Kayaking, Surfing" extreme mate did his back in Towel Trying his hair... :lol:
yeah, I’ve done that! I now have no hair - purely for safety.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:30 pm
And aerodynamic efficiency too, right?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Clearly mullets are dangerous things.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:08 pm
Clearly mullets are dangerous things.
Youre really not one to be making any jokes about hair! 😂
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I have luxuriant ginger and white hair all over my face and head, can't you see my avatar?