Ridiculous cost of options...

DeskJockey

Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by DeskJockey »

On the GTC4 Lusso in this month's evo. They don't give the full list, but on a car costing £243k as standard there's an additional £89k of options! Even for the stupidly rich that's got to have them choking on their champagne.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by 240PP »

Pretty sure it was the Boxster where you could feasibly double the cost of the car in options.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

It's all relative, no? What's that, about 35% of the cars value on top?

I'm sure there are many £30k cars you could slap almost £10k on in options.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

But it is kind of understandable on cars which have a much lower build number. Ferrari or Mclaren produce under 10,000 cars a year each, they have much less scope to cover R&D costs and costs for future models compared to someone churning out many more cars.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It’s when you look at something small and relatively cheap and realise they want to charge you £750 for a stereo upgrade (this was on the Mito). £750 buys some decent home kit, not just branded speakers.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:12 am But it is kind of understandable on cars which have a much lower build number. Ferrari or Mclaren produce under 10,000 cars a year each, they have much less scope to cover R&D costs and costs for future models compared to someone churning out many more cars.
£2400 for Apple CarPlay? I can understand it if it is something specific to the car, but CarPlay isn't exactly uncommon.
---
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:27 am
Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:12 am But it is kind of understandable on cars which have a much lower build number. Ferrari or Mclaren produce under 10,000 cars a year each, they have much less scope to cover R&D costs and costs for future models compared to someone churning out many more cars.
£2400 for Apple CarPlay? I can understand it if it is something specific to the car, but CarPlay isn't exactly uncommon.
Probably part of a "stereo upgrade" package. Most car options are crazily overpriced - I suspect they get alot of margins here. In the Evora, you had to pay £300 for power-fold mirrors, but they fitted *all* cars with it, regardless of whether you ticked the option; the reality is you were only paying for the switch for £5 to enable it.
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

I did notice the test 320d Autocar had recently was nigh on a 50k car.
£1700 for Harmon Hardon audio
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Mike1215 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:17 am I did notice the test 320d Autocar had recently was nigh on a 50k car.
£1700 for Harmon Hardon audio
But again that’s not bad if you break it down, more powerful amplifier, more speakers which will require customised interior moulds, then consider that you can get the interior in many different colours so all of those need different moulds, then the actual speakers are more powerful so all the trim needs much testing to make sure it won’t rattle...
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It’s like all these things - Does it cost £1500 more to make a 120i than a 118i or does an m sport bumper cost any more to make than an se one... it’s all improving profit margin.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:17 am It’s when you look at something small and relatively cheap and realise they want to charge you £750 for a stereo upgrade (this was on the Mito). £750 buys some decent home kit, not just branded speakers.
Porsche excel at this shit. £250 to have your wheel centres painted. Or your key painted. 300 quid to have your revcounter done a different colour, 175 to have door tops done a slightly different shade of standard grey. After half an hour of this, I'd had enough.

And the point of BMW's HK system. Wouldn't be quite so bad if they actually worked properly, but over the last 12 months I've heard of several cases of the amplifiers packing up on 4 or 5 year old cars.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:08 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:17 am It’s when you look at something small and relatively cheap and realise they want to charge you £750 for a stereo upgrade (this was on the Mito). £750 buys some decent home kit, not just branded speakers.
Porsche excel at this shit. £250 to have your wheel centres painted. Or your key painted. 300 quid to have your revcounter done a different colour, 175 to have door tops done a slightly different shade of standard grey. After half an hour of this, I'd had enough.

And the point of BMW's HK system. Wouldn't be quite so bad if they actually worked properly, but over the last 12 months I've heard of several cases of the amplifiers packing up on 4 or 5 year old cars.
To have Porsche paint my wheels (partially) in black was £801 in 2014. :oops: But apart from that and front/rear parking sensors that's all they squeezed out of me in options on my GTS.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 pm

To have Porsche paint my wheels (partially) in black was £801 in 2014. :oops: But apart from that and front/rear parking sensors that's all they squeezed out of me in options on my GTS.
Partially - with perhaps a nice fade?
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:53 pm
PaulJ wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Partially - with perhaps a nice fade?
No, (if only I'd thought of it), just the spokes. The inner rim is silver and the outer extremity next to the tyres is polished alloy.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

240PP wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:45 pm Pretty sure it was the Boxster where you could feasibly double the cost of the car in options.
I've just taken a £45k base 718 and specced it up to just under £90k on the configurator. :lol:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

The real trick is to spec cars up with daft overpriced options, take a long lease finance deal, then terminate it early and still pay the full price for all the options, but over a really short period of time.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:20 pm The real trick is to spec cars up with daft overpriced options, take a long lease finance deal, then terminate it early and still pay the full price for all the options, but over a really short period of time.
:lol: The Shocker.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Wasnt it the 430 Italia that had a tri-colour front-to-back stripe as an option at something like £3400?

Probably have the details wrong.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think most Ferraris have expensive stickers, even the shield on the wing is a hefty option iirc.
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Matty wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:45 am
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:27 am
Probably part of a "stereo upgrade" package. Most car options are crazily overpriced - I suspect they get alot of margins here. In the Evora, you had to pay £300 for power-fold mirrors, but they fitted *all* cars with it, regardless of whether you ticked the option; the reality is you were only paying for the switch for £5 to enable it.
No. That was another £5k+ on top.
---