Ridiculous cost of options...

User avatar
DeskJockey
Posts: 1484
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 am

Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by DeskJockey »

On the GTC4 Lusso in this month's evo. They don't give the full list, but on a car costing £243k as standard there's an additional £89k of options! Even for the stupidly rich that's got to have them choking on their champagne.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away

User avatar
240PP
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:27 am
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by 240PP »

Pretty sure it was the Boxster where you could feasibly double the cost of the car in options.

User avatar
Matty
Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:50 pm
Currently Driving: 2010 Evora N/A
2018 Up! GTi

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by Matty »

It's all relative, no? What's that, about 35% of the cars value on top?

I'm sure there are many £30k cars you could slap almost £10k on in options.

User avatar
Mito Man
Posts: 4320
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by Mito Man »

But it is kind of understandable on cars which have a much lower build number. Ferrari or Mclaren produce under 10,000 cars a year each, they have much less scope to cover R&D costs and costs for future models compared to someone churning out many more cars.
How about not having a sig at all?

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 6436
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by NotoriousREV »

It’s when you look at something small and relatively cheap and realise they want to charge you £750 for a stereo upgrade (this was on the Mito). £750 buys some decent home kit, not just branded speakers.
Middle-aged Dirtbag

User avatar
DeskJockey
Posts: 1484
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:12 am
But it is kind of understandable on cars which have a much lower build number. Ferrari or Mclaren produce under 10,000 cars a year each, they have much less scope to cover R&D costs and costs for future models compared to someone churning out many more cars.
£2400 for Apple CarPlay? I can understand it if it is something specific to the car, but CarPlay isn't exactly uncommon.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away

User avatar
Matty
Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:50 pm
Currently Driving: 2010 Evora N/A
2018 Up! GTi

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by Matty »

DeskJockey wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:27 am
Mito Man wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:12 am
But it is kind of understandable on cars which have a much lower build number. Ferrari or Mclaren produce under 10,000 cars a year each, they have much less scope to cover R&D costs and costs for future models compared to someone churning out many more cars.
£2400 for Apple CarPlay? I can understand it if it is something specific to the car, but CarPlay isn't exactly uncommon.
Probably part of a "stereo upgrade" package. Most car options are crazily overpriced - I suspect they get alot of margins here. In the Evora, you had to pay £300 for power-fold mirrors, but they fitted *all* cars with it, regardless of whether you ticked the option; the reality is you were only paying for the switch for £5 to enable it.

User avatar
Mike1215
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:07 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by Mike1215 »

I did notice the test 320d Autocar had recently was nigh on a 50k car.
£1700 for Harmon Hardon audio

User avatar
Mito Man
Posts: 4320
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by Mito Man »

Mike1215 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:17 am
I did notice the test 320d Autocar had recently was nigh on a 50k car.
£1700 for Harmon Hardon audio
But again that’s not bad if you break it down, more powerful amplifier, more speakers which will require customised interior moulds, then consider that you can get the interior in many different colours so all of those need different moulds, then the actual speakers are more powerful so all the trim needs much testing to make sure it won’t rattle...
How about not having a sig at all?

User avatar
Rich B
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by Rich B »

It’s like all these things - Does it cost £1500 more to make a 120i than a 118i or does an m sport bumper cost any more to make than an se one... it’s all improving profit margin.

User avatar
ShockDiamonds
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by ShockDiamonds »

NotoriousREV wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:17 am
It’s when you look at something small and relatively cheap and realise they want to charge you £750 for a stereo upgrade (this was on the Mito). £750 buys some decent home kit, not just branded speakers.
Porsche excel at this shit. £250 to have your wheel centres painted. Or your key painted. 300 quid to have your revcounter done a different colour, 175 to have door tops done a slightly different shade of standard grey. After half an hour of this, I'd had enough.

And the point of BMW's HK system. Wouldn't be quite so bad if they actually worked properly, but over the last 12 months I've heard of several cases of the amplifiers packing up on 4 or 5 year old cars.

User avatar
PaulJ
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by PaulJ »

ShockDiamonds wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:08 pm
NotoriousREV wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:17 am
It’s when you look at something small and relatively cheap and realise they want to charge you £750 for a stereo upgrade (this was on the Mito). £750 buys some decent home kit, not just branded speakers.
Porsche excel at this shit. £250 to have your wheel centres painted. Or your key painted. 300 quid to have your revcounter done a different colour, 175 to have door tops done a slightly different shade of standard grey. After half an hour of this, I'd had enough.

And the point of BMW's HK system. Wouldn't be quite so bad if they actually worked properly, but over the last 12 months I've heard of several cases of the amplifiers packing up on 4 or 5 year old cars.
To have Porsche paint my wheels (partially) in black was £801 in 2014. :oops: But apart from that and front/rear parking sensors that's all they squeezed out of me in options on my GTS.

User avatar
Rich B
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by Rich B »

PaulJ wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 pm
ShockDiamonds wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:08 pm
NotoriousREV wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:17 am
It’s when you look at something small and relatively cheap and realise they want to charge you £750 for a stereo upgrade (this was on the Mito). £750 buys some decent home kit, not just branded speakers.
Porsche excel at this shit. £250 to have your wheel centres painted. Or your key painted. 300 quid to have your revcounter done a different colour, 175 to have door tops done a slightly different shade of standard grey. After half an hour of this, I'd had enough.

And the point of BMW's HK system. Wouldn't be quite so bad if they actually worked properly, but over the last 12 months I've heard of several cases of the amplifiers packing up on 4 or 5 year old cars.
To have Porsche paint my wheels (partially) in black was £801 in 2014. :oops: But apart from that and front/rear parking sensors that's all they squeezed out of me in options on my GTS.
Partially - with perhaps a nice fade?

User avatar
PaulJ
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by PaulJ »

Rich B wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:53 pm
PaulJ wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 pm
ShockDiamonds wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:08 pm


Porsche excel at this shit. £250 to have your wheel centres painted. Or your key painted. 300 quid to have your revcounter done a different colour, 175 to have door tops done a slightly different shade of standard grey. After half an hour of this, I'd had enough.

And the point of BMW's HK system. Wouldn't be quite so bad if they actually worked properly, but over the last 12 months I've heard of several cases of the amplifiers packing up on 4 or 5 year old cars.
To have Porsche paint my wheels (partially) in black was £801 in 2014. :oops: But apart from that and front/rear parking sensors that's all they squeezed out of me in options on my GTS.
Partially - with perhaps a nice fade?
No, (if only I'd thought of it), just the spokes. The inner rim is silver and the outer extremity next to the tyres is polished alloy.

User avatar
Jimmy Choo
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:43 am

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by Jimmy Choo »

240PP wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:45 pm
Pretty sure it was the Boxster where you could feasibly double the cost of the car in options.
I've just taken a £45k base 718 and specced it up to just under £90k on the configurator. :lol:
I identify as a CUNT+.

User avatar
Rich B
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by Rich B »

The real trick is to spec cars up with daft overpriced options, take a long lease finance deal, then terminate it early and still pay the full price for all the options, but over a really short period of time.

User avatar
ZedLeg
Posts: 2506
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:20 pm
The real trick is to spec cars up with daft overpriced options, take a long lease finance deal, then terminate it early and still pay the full price for all the options, but over a really short period of time.
:lol: The Shocker.
An absolute unit

User avatar
mik
Posts: 3887
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by mik »

Wasnt it the 430 Italia that had a tri-colour front-to-back stripe as an option at something like £3400?

Probably have the details wrong.

User avatar
ZedLeg
Posts: 2506
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by ZedLeg »

I think most Ferraris have expensive stickers, even the shield on the wing is a hefty option iirc.
An absolute unit

User avatar
DeskJockey
Posts: 1484
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Ridiculous cost of options...

Post by DeskJockey »

Matty wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:45 am
DeskJockey wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:27 am
Mito Man wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:12 am
But it is kind of understandable on cars which have a much lower build number. Ferrari or Mclaren produce under 10,000 cars a year each, they have much less scope to cover R&D costs and costs for future models compared to someone churning out many more cars.
£2400 for Apple CarPlay? I can understand it if it is something specific to the car, but CarPlay isn't exactly uncommon.
Probably part of a "stereo upgrade" package. Most car options are crazily overpriced - I suspect they get alot of margins here. In the Evora, you had to pay £300 for power-fold mirrors, but they fitted *all* cars with it, regardless of whether you ticked the option; the reality is you were only paying for the switch for £5 to enable it.
No. That was another £5k+ on top.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away

Post Reply