Donnington

V8Granite

Donnington

Post by V8Granite »

I purchased tickets for me, the wife and the boys to go to Donnington on Saturday. Lots of pre 66 cars, RS 500s, the odd M3, Mustangs, Alfa’s and a smattering if 90s touring cars.

Sadly Donnington didn’t seem to give a crap, the weather was bad but only the restaurant on site, no commentary unless you were right by the grandstand, no infield parking and as the Download festival was on, huge bloody tents obstructing the view at the end of the main straight.

They are clearly rolling in money as they make
It very un-welcoming.

I don’t expect a fanfare and hundreds of stalls but anything which caters to visitors would be nice. It was a brilliant selection of cars but it wouldn’t make me go back. Has it been like this for a while ? Aston Martin supplied the safety car but apart from the drivers only about 50 people would have seen it.

The last time I went was to watch the 750 motor club and it was brilliantly done.

Dave!
dan

Re: Donnington

Post by dan »

Should have gone on sunday, my mate won the mini race :D
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It doesn’t draw big crowds unless there’s something really big on like BSB, in which case they get mobile catering folk in. 750MC are good, but even then it’s the main cafe and occasionally a burger van in the paddock.

Apart from things like BSB, Gold Cup, touring cars I don’t remember the last time there was a big enough crown to justify extra catering at any circuit.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

dan wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:07 pm ......my mate won the mini race :D

Scalextric or Total Control Racing Dan?

P.S. I’m here all week.....
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mike1215 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:57 pm
dan wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:07 pm ......my mate won the mini race :D

Scalextric or Total Control Racing Dan?

P.S. I’m here all week.....
Aurora AFX
Middle-aged Dirtbag
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yep, most club series only attract a handful of spectators and often most of them know or are related to someone driving in one of the racers :lol:
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I was surprised at how well turned out the Minis were. I expect a bit of a tired but mechanically perfect car but the Minis all looked like concours entrants.

Dave!
dan

Post by dan »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:54 am I was surprised at how well turned out the Minis were. I expect a bit of a tired but mechanically perfect car but the Minis all looked like concours entrants.

Dave!
Yep its a long time since tired cars were competitive, the amount of money swilling around in historic racing now is eye watering.
ste

Post by ste »

For just a random day out to go and watch racing I don't think you can beat Brands Hatch. It'll cost you ~£20 most weekends and kids are free. I'll occasionally take mine for a cheap few hours out. You can drive right up to the back of the grandstand at Paddock Hill Bend, get in the grandstand for free and from there can see 90% of the Indy circuit laid out below you in a natural ampitheatre.

Most circuits you'll be sat watching a corner or 2 if you're lucky. Kids get bored of this quite quickly. Up in the grandstand at Paddock you can see the whole race unfold and see pretty much everything.

If you avoid the Kentagon and go under the circuit tunnel to the paddock cafe you get an OK burger for not at all a bad price too, 3 or 4 quid rather than the £10 or so it'll cost at most places. From there you can walk the paddock and nose in the garages too.

Genuinely a good way to pass a few hours with the kids IMO.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

ste wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:25 am
If you avoid the Kentagon and go under the circuit tunnel to the paddock cafe you get an OK burger for not at all a bad price too, 3 or 4 quid rather than the £10 or so it'll cost at most places. From there you can walk the paddock and nose in the garages too.

Genuinely a good way to pass a few hours with the kids IMO.
That's good information, we went for the Truck racing last year (a mate a crew chief for a Div2 team) and the only complaint about the whole day was the price and quality of food from the vans that were there.

Carl.
ste

Post by ste »

PS, Donnington is in Telford, the racing circuit is in Donington. ;)
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Yep, Brands Hatch is ace.

Lots of people don't seem to know that you can download the pass off their website to get Southbank/infield access - just stick it in your car and drive in through the main gate rather than the main carpark, they charge whatever the going rate is (think it's still a fiver). Gets busy on the big events so get there early, no problem on the smaller ones. Then you can just have a picnic near your car while watching the racing, and have stuff like camping chairs handy without lugging them around all day. Way better when you have a couple of kids in tow.
John

Post by John »

I visit Donington quite often as it's the closet circuit to me. The weather there seems to be either baking hot or blowing a gale with sub zero temperatures.

My wife always enjoys her visits :lol:

John

Post by John »

It looks fun at the Download Festival, there's been plenty more rain since yesterday too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-48627574
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

John wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:47 pm I visit Donington quite often as it's the closet circuit to me. The weather there seems to be either baking hot or blowing a gale with sub zero temperatures.

My wife always enjoys her visits :lol:

Good of you to help there mate :D