Pre-diabeties

scotta

Re: Pre-diabeties

Post by scotta »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am I’m Type 2 diabetic and have been for about 3 years. I was pre-diabetic for 2 years, where my HBA1C was consistently just under the limit for diabetes and then one day it had rocketed. I was 17 stone when I first became pre-diabetic due to excessive carbs and sweets.

Since then, I’ve lost 3 stone, exercise more and eat a lot better. The only thing that worked for me was calorie counting and really understanding what I was putting into my fat face.

More recently, they’ve given me a machine to test my blood sugar more regularly and see how different foods affect my blood sugar because the tablets haven’t helped at all. This has been an eye opener. My fasting blood sugar is already ridiculously high first thing in the morning (13-16, when it should be 5). Eating “white” carbs (chips, white bread, pasta, rice) spikes my blood sugar as much as Haribo. Losing weight hasn’t helped. Exercise hasn’t helped.

Do not let yourself go from pre-diabetic to diabetic. Even watching my diet, my sugars are often high enough to be considered dangerous. I already have some neuropathy in the toes on my left foot. My eyes are fine, thankfully.

I’m still losing weight, my next target is 13st (currently 13st 10) and then probably at least another half stone to go after that.

The stupid thing is, I much prefer eating healthy food but I always opted for convenience over health and have paid the price for it. Those days are (largely) over.
What meds you on?

I've introduced a couple over the last year in addition to the metformin that have made a big difference on my management.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-med ... icity.html
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-med ... iance.html
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I can’t tolerate Metformin (it wrecks my stomach) so I’m on Gliclazide but neither have much impact on my sugars.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
scotta

Post by scotta »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:09 pm I can’t tolerate Metformin (it wrecks my stomach) so I’m on Gliclazide but neither have much impact on my sugars.
found similar with the Gliclazide. didnt do much. moving on to the other two made big differences. Speak to your doctor about them. They are new and therfore more expensive so they're reluctant to suggest them initially.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ste wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:46 am ...and not meaning to pick at you Dave, but just highlighting how blinkered we've become to larger people.

At your height and weight you're right at the end of what the NHS call obese and touching the very obese category. If you halved your weight, you'd still be in the 'healthy weight' category and not be underweight.
I’ve been obese since 14 technically, it’s frustrating but I see the logic. I think Dairy is my worst, 2 pints of full fat milk a day on average, I don’t drink any when I’m away though as it tastes rank in comparison. I was 91kg and looked far too thin with 12% body fat (calipers, is this still used?) but have put on a decent amount of muscle since. I could certainly lose at least 3 stone of fat though, which if you plonked it on a table would be pretty minging :lol:

A fitting picture from this week :lol:

I don’t remember where I saw it but I saw a video about where fat was put on the body and some styles of food were particularly bad for surrounding the heart and liver which then messes you up.

Dave!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

scotta wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:37 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am I’m Type 2 diabetic and have been for about 3 years. I was pre-diabetic for 2 years, where my HBA1C was consistently just under the limit for diabetes and then one day it had rocketed. I was 17 stone when I first became pre-diabetic due to excessive carbs and sweets.

Since then, I’ve lost 3 stone, exercise more and eat a lot better. The only thing that worked for me was calorie counting and really understanding what I was putting into my fat face.

More recently, they’ve given me a machine to test my blood sugar more regularly and see how different foods affect my blood sugar because the tablets haven’t helped at all. This has been an eye opener. My fasting blood sugar is already ridiculously high first thing in the morning (13-16, when it should be 5). Eating “white” carbs (chips, white bread, pasta, rice) spikes my blood sugar as much as Haribo. Losing weight hasn’t helped. Exercise hasn’t helped.

Do not let yourself go from pre-diabetic to diabetic. Even watching my diet, my sugars are often high enough to be considered dangerous. I already have some neuropathy in the toes on my left foot. My eyes are fine, thankfully.

I’m still losing weight, my next target is 13st (currently 13st 10) and then probably at least another half stone to go after that.

The stupid thing is, I much prefer eating healthy food but I always opted for convenience over health and have paid the price for it. Those days are (largely) over.
What meds you on?

I've introduced a couple over the last year in addition to the metformin that have made a big difference on my management.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-med ... icity.html
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-med ... iance.html
These are great drugs. Pricey though! Hence further down the list in nice approved medications.

The mechanism of action of the trulicity is really quite clever :geek: and exploits a mechanism discovered not long ago where your gut senses the sugar intake and releases hormones (incretins) that pump up the insulin response. It had been unexplained for ages why eating sugar produced a more profound response than taking it IV.

With jardiance you literally piss out the sugar. They are looking for more clever mechanisms but it’s basically that.
ste

Post by ste »

Dave, visceral fat. I don't think certain types of food can make us store a certain type of fat, it's to do with total fat that we carry and genetics as to where we store it. It's certainly not a good thing though and relevant to this discussion.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/body/visceral-fat.html

Some people that don't look overweight can carry visceral fat which can lead to some of those conditions.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

On the subject of diabetes, if you have it and your feet hurt, go tell your doctor. Friends dad just lost his leg because he ‘didn’t have time to go see the doctor just because his toe hurt’. He finally went when it was starting to go black with necrosis- it was promptly amputated but the rest was too far gone to let it heal so had leg off just below the knee
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

jamcg wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:04 am On the subject of diabetes, if you have it and your feet hurt, go tell your doctor. Friends dad just lost his leg because he ‘didn’t have time to go see the doctor just because his toe hurt’. He finally went when it was starting to go black with necrosis- it was promptly amputated but the rest was too far gone to let it heal so had leg off just below the knee
If you are diabetic - get a full check, at least every six months. Your retina should be looked at to catch that early before you go blind, your urine checked to catch kidney problems before you need dialysis and the nerve supply and blood flow to your feet tested before you find yourself a foot shorter. Your GP should be able to facilitate this via your local diabetes centre.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Yep, I have my regular 6 month checks every 14 months or so :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

How often do people without diabetes and so on have health checks? I've settled into a routine of never. It's not very smart, is it.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pm How often do people without diabetes and so on have health checks? I've settled into a routine of never. It's not very smart, is it.
I'm a taller heavier version of Dave 6'1 and 22st and and just had a letter from my GP asking me to see them as i haven't been for years. The only thing they ever tell me when i go is i'm fat which i already know.

I'm in my forties now so looking at this thread if i'm not diagnosed as a hypertensive diabetic taking zinc with mild mental health issues i'm DIW.

One of my good mates who lives a very healthy if not a bit dull life actually got annoyed at me Xmas time as he'd been diagnosed with mild hypertension and i'd only been treated for hayfever and indigestion :lol:
John

Post by John »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pm How often do people without diabetes and so on have health checks? I've settled into a routine of never. It's not very smart, is it.
My doctor sent me a letter when I hit 40 to go for a health check, which I did. Everything was fine and to go back after five years for another check. I’m now 52 and went for it last month :)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Do they stick a finger up your butt when you hit 50?
How about not having a sig at all?
John

Post by John »

That’s what he said it was :?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:19 pm Do they stick a finger up your butt when you hit 50?
If you’ve an open-minded partner, you can ask for that at any age.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

'Doctor if you're taking my temperature that appendage had better have fucking degrees on it' :D
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

When I had mucositis my starfish was inspected by doctors daily for a good month. Nasty shit that, literally, every dump tears you a new one, followed by having a period through your ass. Didn’t appreciate all the bastard prodding about they did.
How about not having a sig at all?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Reasonable to get your blood pressure checked and a urine sample checked every year or so. Any more than that is inviting trouble!

National bowel cancer screening kicks in about 55 I think so you have that to look forward to. Prostate you can check if you like but there isn’t really evidence it does any good unless you are having symptoms. I assume you aren’t a woman but if you wish to identify as one the additional parts of your anatomy also need checks.