Pre-diabeties

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Bugger. I really liked snacking.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Pre-diabeties

Post by Jobbo »

You should avoid going to the doctor. They seem only to tell you things are wrong with you.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

A cure for this is to go to the gym :D
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:18 pm You should avoid going to the doctor. They seem only to tell you things are wrong with you.
I called my doctor and said I wasn't feeling right and wanted blood tests to check my thyroid levels so it's my own damn fault.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Cut out the sugar and carbs now. Lose 10% of your body weight. Actual diabetes sucks so avoid it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Yeah, I've knocked the sweets and crisps on the head and cutting right back on carbs. I don't like injections so I'm going to do my best to avoid them.

I've been comfort eating. Work is incredibly stressful, going live with SAP in a company that I'm having to learn as I make up processes. Home is a fucking car crash and has gone from my solace to the biggest source of stress.

A big pack of crisps and a bag of haribo are not an appropriate snack.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

If you're craving sugar, you're better off having fruits. A few friends are very close to being diabetic, one has lost several stones already in the fear of having to take pills for the rest of his life.
M235i
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Smoking will reduce your appetite (as long as you stay of grass).

Chewing gum might help as your jaw is working and if it is minty then the minty taste won't work with savoury or sweet things.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:11 pm Bugger. I really liked snacking.
It appears that you have taken Munki's crown of constantly being broken, now that he's not around.

GWSYC.
Oui, je suis un motard.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Get well and sorted!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Stress makes your reading higher. Mine was way up in December but back down in march due to relaxing, exercising, drinking less and generally looking after myself better. Don't worry but keep away from pills.

8-)
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Alex_ wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:51 pm If you're craving sugar, you're better off having fruits. A few friends are very close to being diabetic, one has lost several stones already in the fear of having to take pills for the rest of his life.
I already have to take pills for the rest of my life. I'm not keen on injections.

The shitstorm at home is definitely very stressful.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:39 am
Alex_ wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:51 pm If you're craving sugar, you're better off having fruits. A few friends are very close to being diabetic, one has lost several stones already in the fear of having to take pills for the rest of his life.
I already have to take pills for the rest of my life. I'm not keen on injections.

I know it’s hard but try not to let it spiral. Your health comes before others, is it worth trying to get yourself out of the job stress and into something else less taxing so you can concentrate on getting your own health back on track and the home situation?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

One thing people miss is that
Pre diabetes = feel alright
Pre diabetes + the meds you have to take to reduce your risk of heart attack / stroke / etc = feel rubbish
Pre diabetes + losing weight and exercising your way out of it = feel a whole load better.

I present it like it’s easy when I know it isn’t. I’m a big advocate of very low calorie diets as they have increasing trial evidence and really work for reversing not just diabetes but hypertension and even heart failure. Bariatric surgery I think will pan out similarly.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I'm not keen on injections either but if you are pre-type 1 there isn't much you can do to halt the slide at the moment. You are more likely pre-type 2 which both my Mum and Father in law are and they just take pills, modify their diet and get monitored for. Type-2 seem potentially harder to control though than type 1. I know quite a few people with type-1 and as long as they monitor their levels they can eat as they please. They all seem to consume unreal amounts of sugar and just talk another shot of insulin. Where as the type-2's have to eat really carefully so their blood sugar doesn't go up too much. My father in law did manage to diet his way out of type2 completely for a while though (although he's rebounded now) so it's possible.
Both are a curse though, hope you can get out of it.

Carl.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

drcarlos wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:55 am

I'm not keen on injections either but if you are pre-type 1 there isn't much you can do to halt the slide at the moment. You are more likely pre-type 2 which both my Mum and Father in law are and they just take pills, modify their diet and get monitored for. Type-2 seem potentially harder to control though than type 1. I know quite a few people with type-1 and as long as they monitor their levels they can eat as they please. They all seem to consume unreal amounts of sugar and just talk another shot of insulin. Where as the type-2's have to eat really carefully so their blood sugar doesn't go up too much. My father in law did manage to diet his way out of type2 completely for a while though (although he's rebounded now) so it's possible.

Carl.
Bingeing on sugar is not a good plan if you are a type 1 diabetic as you will just swing into high sugars and back into the normal range when you take your insulin, these big swings are what causes a lot of the damage to tissues that cause stiffening of the small arteries causing kidney, retinal damage and the like.

You can live a totally normal diet if you are a type 1 and follow a calorie counting regime like DAFNE. But I wouldn’t advise stuffing down mars bars... but then I wouldn’t advise that for anyone!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:12 am

Carl.
Bingeing on sugar is not a good plan if you are a type 1 diabetic as you will just swing into high sugars and back into the normal range when you take your insulin, these big swings are what causes a lot of the damage to tissues that cause stiffening of the small arteries causing kidney, retinal damage and the like.

You can live a totally normal diet if you are a type 1 and follow a calorie counting regime like DAFNE. But I wouldn’t advise stuffing down mars bars... but then I wouldn’t advise that for anyone!
In this instance I am not their mothers (figuratively or literally) so there's nothing I can do about it, but I didn't think it was exactly good for them and it does seem a bit mental.
NZL JC

Post by NZL JC »

Carl.
As a type 1 diabetic of nearly 30 years, I can assure you there's nothing easy about it! Albeit, diabetes is such a varied disease that every person, even with the same 'type' is likely to have different symptoms, challenges & responses.

There's also definitely no such thing as 'pre-type 1' - it's auto immune, and (currently) not preventable or reversible :(

From my experience, stress is a massive problem - not just from a "pushing levels up" perspective, but also messing with your body's responses to insulin etc. and nothing is more frustrating than trying something that worked perfectly yesterday/last week/last month.... then you have a totally different response today.

If you can reduce the stress, that'll definitely help with managing diabetes overall and hopefully getting rid of pre-diabetes. Easier said than done unfortunately.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

NZL JC wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Carl.
As a type 1 diabetic of nearly 30 years, I can assure you there's nothing easy about it! Albeit, diabetes is such a varied disease that every person, even with the same 'type' is likely to have different symptoms, challenges & responses.

There's also definitely no such thing as 'pre-type 1' - it's auto immune, and (currently) not preventable or reversible :(

From my experience, stress is a massive problem - not just from a "pushing levels up" perspective, but also messing with your body's responses to insulin etc. and nothing is more frustrating than trying something that worked perfectly yesterday/last week/last month.... then you have a totally different response today.

If you can reduce the stress, that'll definitely help with managing diabetes overall and hopefully getting rid of pre-diabetes. Easier said than done unfortunately.
Don't get me wrong, having either is not easy and I'm glad I don't have either. I was just remarking that from my perspective the 3 people I see regularly that are Type-1 seemed to have an easier life, like eating wise they seem to eat what they like and just checking levels and then having a shot when needed. The 2 Type-2's I know spend their time avoiding all sorts if they want to stay healthy.
With type-1 I know that Evostick told me a few years ago that things look promising for a cure soon, so fingers crossed for all that are afflicted by it. With type-2 abstinence and diet control is the only cure, I think the upcoming generation will have more of a chance than the current as we are re-learning what to eat (not just avoiding sugar but having to cut carbs too) where they will have been taught from a younger age that carbs and sugar are bad.
ste

Post by ste »

drcarlos wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:27 pm I think the upcoming generation will have more of a chance than the current as we are re-learning what to eat (not just avoiding sugar but having to cut carbs too) where they will have been taught from a younger age that carbs and sugar are bad.
:?

Erm, if 'carbs and sugar are bad', what do you suggest people eat to provide them with energy?