Pre-diabeties

drcarlos

Re: Pre-diabeties

Post by drcarlos »

ste wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:11 pm
drcarlos wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:27 pm I think the upcoming generation will have more of a chance than the current as we are re-learning what to eat (not just avoiding sugar but having to cut carbs too) where they will have been taught from a younger age that carbs and sugar are bad.
:?

Erm, if 'carbs and sugar are bad', what do you suggest people eat to provide them with energy?
Well you obviously need some, I probably should have said something to mark it as sarcasm at the end. What I meant is that they will have greater knowledge and educated in how the body deals with food types, how they are broken down, used and stored or ejected as waste. Conditioning from a young age will hopefully mean they should have better eating habits. We didn't have this in our formative years as science and progress has been huge.
NZL JC

Post by NZL JC »

drcarlos wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:27 pm
NZL JC wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:35 pm
drcarlos wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:55 am

I'm not keen on injections either but if you are pre-type 1 there isn't much you can do to halt the slide at the moment. You are more likely pre-type 2 which both my Mum and Father in law are and they just take pills, modify their diet and get monitored for. Type-2 seem potentially harder to control though than type 1. I know quite a few people with type-1 and as long as they monitor their levels they can eat as they please. They all seem to consume unreal amounts of sugar and just talk another shot of insulin. Where as the type-2's have to eat really carefully so their blood sugar doesn't go up too much. My father in law did manage to diet his way out of type2 completely for a while though (although he's rebounded now) so it's possible.
Both are a curse though, hope you can get out of it.

Carl.
As a type 1 diabetic of nearly 30 years, I can assure you there's nothing easy about it! Albeit, diabetes is such a varied disease that every person, even with the same 'type' is likely to have different symptoms, challenges & responses.

There's also definitely no such thing as 'pre-type 1' - it's auto immune, and (currently) not preventable or reversible :(

From my experience, stress is a massive problem - not just from a "pushing levels up" perspective, but also messing with your body's responses to insulin etc. and nothing is more frustrating than trying something that worked perfectly yesterday/last week/last month.... then you have a totally different response today.

If you can reduce the stress, that'll definitely help with managing diabetes overall and hopefully getting rid of pre-diabetes. Easier said than done unfortunately.
Don't get me wrong, having either is not easy and I'm glad I don't have either. I was just remarking that from my perspective the 3 people I see regularly that are Type-1 seemed to have an easier life, like eating wise they seem to eat what they like and just checking levels and then having a shot when needed. The 2 Type-2's I know spend their time avoiding all sorts if they want to stay healthy.
With type-1 I know that Evostick told me a few years ago that things look promising for a cure soon, so fingers crossed for all that are afflicted by it. With type-2 abstinence and diet control is the only cure, I think the upcoming generation will have more of a chance than the current as we are re-learning what to eat (not just avoiding sugar but having to cut carbs too) where they will have been taught from a younger age that carbs and sugar are bad.
I think I'll refer to what Newt said above, a responsible diabetic of either Type 1 or Type 2 shouldn't just be eating whatever they want and then just treating the resulting high blood sugar. Both require significant dietary controls to really manage well - Type 1 does have more immediate response mechanisms, but I ask you, would you rather a tablet every so often, or multiple injections a day/a permanent IV? ;)

If the Type 2's you know are having to control so heavily, they're probably at the "severe" end of the type 2 spectrum (and close to needing an insulin based treatment) - many just get away with a tablet every few days and eating a fairly normal diet.

I also disagree with any suggestion that a cure is "near" for type 1, it's a nice idea and they're getting "closer" every day, but I still would be shocked if type 1 has a viable cure within the next 30 years+

In saying all of that, the actual treatment has come along massively in my lifetime with the disease - These days I take my blood sugars by scanning a sensor with my Phone, and have a effectively a portable IV in my pocket - way better than 10 finger pricks a day & 6+ needles that I used to have a few years ago. Naturally it comes with a nice price tag though as the cool stuff isn't funded :roll:
ste

Post by ste »

drcarlos wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:26 pm Well you obviously need some, I probably should have said something to mark it as sarcasm at the end. What I meant is that they will have greater knowledge and educated in how the body deals with food types, how they are broken down, used and stored or ejected as waste. Conditioning from a young age will hopefully mean they should have better eating habits. We didn't have this in our formative years as science and progress has been huge.
But science has really just shown what non-idiots did all along is the correct way to live. I was bought up to know that a balanced diet is healthy, stuffing sweets in my gob and over-eating isn't. I'd say less kids actually seem to understand that than ours and previous generatons did.

For evidence look at how fat a large %age of kids are now and also look at how ridiculous the processed food industry has become. Most people now don't have a fucking clue what they're eating and eat processed food. Be that highly-processed shit or just the processed foods that are passed off as health foods by marketeers.
ste

Post by ste »

What is likely to happen is that the government will use the stick technique to deal with the stupidity of the majority of the population at the expense of the non-morons. I like a particular kind of root beer, I have a bottle of it maybe once every 6 months. My kids got me some for my birthday this year and it was fucking horrid. I inspected the bottle and they've reduced the sugar and added a sweetener to meet the imposed sugar tax bollocks. So I've been punished because others are too stupid to realise that drinking lots of sugary drinks every day is making them obese and over-burdening the health service.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

ste wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:54 pm
drcarlos wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:26 pm Well you obviously need some, I probably should have said something to mark it as sarcasm at the end. What I meant is that they will have greater knowledge and educated in how the body deals with food types, how they are broken down, used and stored or ejected as waste. Conditioning from a young age will hopefully mean they should have better eating habits. We didn't have this in our formative years as science and progress has been huge.
But science has really just shown what non-idiots did all along is the correct way to live. I was bought up to know that a balanced diet is healthy, stuffing sweets in my gob and over-eating isn't. I'd say less kids actually seem to understand that than ours and previous generatons did.

For evidence look at how fat a large %age of kids are now and also look at how ridiculous the processed food industry has become. Most people now don't have a fucking clue what they're eating and eat processed food. Be that highly-processed shit or just the processed foods that are passed off as health foods by marketeers.
Actually bollocks to it, it probably won't happen as people complain about fat shaming in the media if the obesity problem is mentioned and stick obviously obese models in adverts so people don't feel bad themselves even if they are technically morbidly obese. SJW's will probably override science and reason. We're fucked.

Carl.
ste

Post by ste »

I reckon at some point there'll be a shift and fatties will be lambasted. It used to be OK to smoke and people that complained about it were pilloried. Now if someone lights up in a public place they may as well have just stabbed a puppy.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I try to not judge people on it as you don’t know if they’re on meds - I gained 60kg in 6 months on steroids and became pre-diabetic on but when it was over I looked at myself naked before a shower, had a cry and decided to do something about it. Only need to lose 7kg more to get back to where I was. My metabolism is pretty shite now to the point that I can’t eat 3 normal meals a day without gaining weight, I try to have below 2000 calories a day and go for for a 5k run 4 days a week. It’s not easy but it’s not hard either.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

What is likely to happen is that the government will use the stick technique to deal with the stupidity of the majority of the population at the expense of the non-morons. I like a particular kind of root beer, I have a bottle of it maybe once every 6 months. My kids got me some for my birthday this year and it was fucking horrid. I inspected the bottle and they've reduced the sugar and added a sweetener to meet the imposed sugar tax bollocks. So I've been punished because others are too stupid to realise that drinking lots of sugary drinks every day is making them obese and over-burdening the health service.
So very much, every single word of that.

And at a time when we're stressing about the damage that we're doing in terms of climate change, global agriculture etc, a little bit of restraint wouldn't go amiss in people's everyday diets.

Remember when there used to just be 1 fat kid in school? Christ, even the idea of what's slim these days is pretty lardy if you look back at footage of people from the '60s and '70s.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Gavin wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 pm Smoking will reduce your appetite (as long as you stay of grass).
:D
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

But science has really just shown what non-idiots did all along is the correct way to live. I was bought up to know that a balanced diet is healthy, stuffing sweets in my gob and over-eating isn't.
What total crap. That would involve accountability. I blame the refugees.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

NZL JC wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:28 pm
I also disagree with any suggestion that a cure is "near" for type 1, it's a nice idea and they're getting "closer" every day, but I still would be shocked if type 1 has a viable cure within the next 30 years+

In saying all of that, the actual treatment has come along massively in my lifetime with the disease - These days I take my blood sugars by scanning a sensor with my Phone, and have a effectively a portable IV in my pocket - way better than 10 finger pricks a day & 6+ needles that I used to have a few years ago. Naturally it comes with a nice price tag though as the cool stuff isn't funded :roll:
It’s not round the corner but it’s closer. The ‘closed system’ artificial pancreas insulin pumps where the sensor on your arm relays sugar levels to an insulin pump to control its activity from minute to minute are a very near substitute to the real thing. Pancreatic transplant works and is a cure for the worst diabetics. Next stop is growing up new pancreatic islet cells and implanting them to the pancreas to replace your own duff ones.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

ste wrote:

I completely agree with your first point. It is potty that we have to do studies to prove that losing the weight that fuels so many modern conditions does you some good.

Another problem with dietetics is that it is poorly based in evidence and people are very eager to believe that superfoods exist or that Gwynneth Paltrow is talking sense rather than older ideas about balanced diet.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:31 pm

So very much, every single word of that.

And at a time when we're stressing about the damage that we're doing in terms of climate change, global agriculture etc, a little bit of restraint wouldn't go amiss in people's everyday diets.

Remember when there used to just be 1 fat kid in school? Christ, even the idea of what's slim these days is pretty lardy if you look back at footage of people from the '60s and '70s.
I’m not helping matters as I last weighed in at 129kg and I’m 5ft 11” but processed food imo is the absolute killer in diets. I eat a lot of dairy, lots of red meat, bread (the worst food I eat imo) and lots of veg. Very very little of it is processed though and my blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugars (FIL tests me as he is diabetic) are all very healthy.

I think if I was the same weight on a findus crispy pancake and Mac Donald’s diet I’d be a mouth breathing wobble gut.

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

This guy knows what its all about. I've not watched this latest vid but I am sure it'll contain the best information needed on Type 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw61ad-wedo
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Al the best Jimmy.

A friend at work was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic. He cut out bread, spuds, sweets. I think he's in a good position now but whether he's 'no longer pre-diabetic' I'd have to check (he's not here today to ask, and that's more of a face to face chat type of question than pinging him an email or an IM).
Left over crest; tightens.
ste

Post by ste »

V8Granite wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:08 am I’m not helping matters as I last weighed in at 129kg and I’m 5ft 11” but processed food imo is the absolute killer in diets. I eat a lot of dairy, lots of red meat, bread (the worst food I eat imo) and lots of veg. Very very little of it is processed though and my blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugars (FIL tests me as he is diabetic) are all very healthy.
Not all bread is equal and not all bread is necessarily bad. If you have something with whole grain it can be OK. Almost any loaf you buy in a shop is stuffed with sugar and salt though. Bread is a processed food.

Dairy is bad. Red meat is bad. The animal fats in them are no good for humans. Dairy i.e. milk based products come from a cow's tit that's producing a high-fat dense foodstuff full of hormones to stimulate bovine growth. Sticking it in your body is not a good thing, plus it's a horrible industry that feeds some of the worst environmental impacts on the planet but that's getting off topic. Red meat and dairy lead to heart disease and cancers, it's that simple. The billions of pounds tied up in huge industry and government purses mean people aren't told this more forcibly.
Last edited by ste on Thu May 16, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ste

Post by ste »

...and not meaning to pick at you Dave, but just highlighting how blinkered we've become to larger people.

At your height and weight you're right at the end of what the NHS call obese and touching the very obese category. If you halved your weight, you'd still be in the 'healthy weight' category and not be underweight.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m Type 2 diabetic and have been for about 3 years. I was pre-diabetic for 2 years, where my HBA1C was consistently just under the limit for diabetes and then one day it had rocketed. I was 17 stone when I first became pre-diabetic due to excessive carbs and sweets.

Since then, I’ve lost 3 stone, exercise more and eat a lot better. The only thing that worked for me was calorie counting and really understanding what I was putting into my fat face.

More recently, they’ve given me a machine to test my blood sugar more regularly and see how different foods affect my blood sugar because the tablets haven’t helped at all. This has been an eye opener. My fasting blood sugar is already ridiculously high first thing in the morning (13-16, when it should be 5). Eating “white” carbs (chips, white bread, pasta, rice) spikes my blood sugar as much as Haribo. Losing weight hasn’t helped. Exercise hasn’t helped.

Do not let yourself go from pre-diabetic to diabetic. Even watching my diet, my sugars are often high enough to be considered dangerous. I already have some neuropathy in the toes on my left foot. My eyes are fine, thankfully.

I’m still losing weight, my next target is 13st (currently 13st 10) and then probably at least another half stone to go after that.

The stupid thing is, I much prefer eating healthy food but I always opted for convenience over health and have paid the price for it. Those days are (largely) over.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Probably a lot better when you are less stressed https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-destress.html

Had my annual review this morning - blood pressure down, weight down yet to get the results of bloods but Im confident they will be down too.
It's all about balance and doing several things to look after yourself - one thing doesn't fit all.

Have a go at fasting Dave ;)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:18 am Probably a lot better when you are less stressed https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-destress.html

Had my annual review this morning - blood pressure down, weight down yet to get the results of bloods but Im confident they will be down too.
It's all about balance and doing several things to look after yourself - one thing doesn't fit all.

Have a go at fasting Dave ;)
I’ve lost the last half stone through sort-of fasting. I never eat breakfast and only have a very small lunch (if I have anything at all) and am having low carb dinners. If I get to 13 stone and my sugars are still high, I’m going to have to try a few weeks of a heavily calorie restricted diet (800 per day).
Middle-aged Dirtbag