Back spasms/sciatica

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Back spasms/sciatica

Post by Matty »

Marv wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:27 pm
Ascender wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:10 am Sciatica is the devil's work and the pain that comes with it is utterly unpleasant in a way that no other pain I've experienced seems to be. Very hard to describe it though.
Who would be able to describe the pain better, an osteopath or a physiotherapist?
After reading this thread, I'd say a witch doctor.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Matty wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:50 pm
Marv wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:27 pm
Ascender wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:10 am Sciatica is the devil's work and the pain that comes with it is utterly unpleasant in a way that no other pain I've experienced seems to be. Very hard to describe it though.
Who would be able to describe the pain better, an osteopath or a physiotherapist?
After reading this thread, I'd say a witch hazel doctor.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I've also found its not wise to try and describe the pain to any woman who has given birth.

"Well that sounds sore, but you know what's really sore? Popping out a baby."
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Ascender wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:19 pm I've also found its not wise to try and describe the pain to any woman who has given birth.

"Well that sounds sore, but you know what's really sore? Popping out a baby."
"Think popping out a baby is painful??? - you've never been kicked in the nads by someone wearing Steel Toed Shoes, have you eh ???"

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Foz

Post by Foz »

Well this thread escalated quickly.

Regards my own experience, I have had success with osteopaths fixing the broken symptoms however this bout has made me realise I need a fundamental lifestyle change, for which I will go see a physio to get to the root of the problem.

I am still in the midst of the most acute episode of my life, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone :cry:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I remember the worst part of sciatica being crawling to the toilet to take a dump, it made me sweat more than a 10k run.
How about not having a sig at all?
Foz

Post by Foz »

45 minutes to try and go 3m to the toilet, down 2 steps, on Friday morning involved tears, waking up the kids, and the closet I have ever been to pissing myself as an adult and calling the services of an ambulance..
Marv

Post by Marv »

Blimey Foz, that sounds fucking terrible!

Hope it starts getting better for you soon mate.
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

Foz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:40 pm I have ever been to pissing myself as an adult
This is hardly a laughing matter Foz. :roll:

GWS(yc)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

GWS Foz!

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Foz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:40 pm 45 minutes to try and go 3m to the toilet, down 2 steps, on Friday morning involved tears, waking up the kids, and the closet I have ever been to pissing myself as an adult and calling the services of an ambulance..
What happened next? You wind up at A&E? Hope you’re on the mend.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Of all the horrendousness of sciatica - particularly the 2012 one which was hopefully the last - this was my standout memory - whatever muscles you need to relax to piss where in spasm, and I couldn't pee. I really needed to, but I couldn't. I think tears were shed, and of course there was accompanying agony as well.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Other than the actual pain, one of the worst things about back pain is knowing that it comes from your own muscles just tightening themselves. Fucking relax, you stupid bastards!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

A proper lockout spasm in my left arse cheek also sticks in the memory. Doesn't sound that bad, does it? Now imagine it's Jonah Lomu (or someone big and strong who's alive) doing the goosing. It was unbearable.

I know I'm going on about it but that experience was so bad I think about it EVERY SINGLE TIME I pick something up that's heavier than an empty box.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Today I had my first eye test since primary school and the young lady optometrist summing up says... "well, now you're in your 40s, its expected that your eyes will begin to deteriorate."

Fucking hell. Honestly? Just shoot me now.

The only reason I made an appointment was because I couldn't read the tiny writing on the back of some thread lock without moving it a bit further away from my eyes. Which it turns out are in a good state of health, I'm just becoming an old codger.

But Foz, that is one grim tale, so I'll be grateful for my current levels of sciatic pain!
Cheers,

Mike.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Oh and I've also started wearing glasses again because of my eyes deteriorating and not being able to read small print :lol:

NEXT! :D
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

:lol:
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Foz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:40 pm 45 minutes to try and go 3m to the toilet, down 2 steps, on Friday morning involved tears, waking up the kids, and the closet I have ever been to pissing myself as an adult and calling the services of an ambulance..
My backs been knackered since Friday and while I don't reckon it's sciatica (which sounds worse) I've also been having the 'sweaty crawl to the bog while swearing profusely' moments. Between Saturday and yesterday I basically left bed only to use the bathroom, and to collect takeaways - which took 20mins of careful movement to get down, and then another 20 back up, the stairs. Trying to sit up was the worst part; just zero lower back strength to pull the torso up, and not enough in the legs, etc. Get almost there, and then the body just seems to give up and collapse back while screaming that the fucking ceiling is a fucking cunt.

My neighbour must think I'm a bit bonkers. Well, more bonkers.

Ibuprofen, copious amounts of CBD (which definitely has a notable impact on the general 'twitchyness' of the pain) and careful, continual stretching/stressing while in bed has got me fairly mobile again, and now I guess I just need to exercise it a bit to get it back to normal - although walking is still ten times harder than it was, and about a quarter of the speed.

I really need to start walking to work again. Yeah, won't make difference to any skeleto-muscular issues I might have, but a few less kilos to support won't do my back any harm :lol:
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Try gently reversing your lumbar - laying on the bed and using a pillow. Once you feel better then you can sit on the stairs and do it, with your hands in the small of you back. I get some pretty impressive clicks! In my long sufferance of back pain, the 'wait it out' approach takes far too long and you're better off taking some action. It's probably just a subluxation ;)
Beany

Post by Beany »

I don't think I've ever heard my back click - ever.

I might give it a pop (ho ho ho!) later on. I can actually sit down in a chair now without getting stuck in it for 15mins, so that's a bonus....