Climate change protestors

NotoriousREV

Re: Climate change protestors

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 am Have you actually heard the mission statement for these idiots? They had a spokesperson on the news yesterday who said we’re going to have a weather phenomenon this summer which will cause huge droughts and mass extinction. Ridiculous. Almost as bad as the idiot who predicts the apocalypse every year.
Turn out you're full of shit, you lying little cunt. Try reading their website instead of making stuff up.

https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/the-emergency/
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:52 pm Protesters being denied bail is ridiculous.

I read that on the Beeb earlier. I guess the denying of bail is because of their likelihood to reoffend. Interfering with a train in the way they did is a specific offence. I guess they'll have a little more time to think about what they did. I watched the video of them - I guess the mummsy type doing it thought she'd get arrested, warned and then home in time for tea.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Simon

Post by Simon »

Simon wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:04 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:52 pm Protesters being denied bail is ridiculous.

I read that on the Beeb earlier. I guess the denying of bail is because of their likelihood to reoffend. Interfering with a train in the way they did is a specific offence. I guess they'll have a little more time to think about what they did. I watched the video of them - I guess the mummsy type doing it thought she'd get arrested, warned and then home in time for tea.
Oh, and for the media to broadcast them doing it and then for them to rock up and plead 'not guilty' probably didn't put them on good terms with the judge.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:57 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 am Have you actually heard the mission statement for these idiots? They had a spokesperson on the news yesterday who said we’re going to have a weather phenomenon this summer which will cause huge droughts and mass extinction. Ridiculous. Almost as bad as the idiot who predicts the apocalypse every year.
Turn out you're full of shit, you lying little cunt. Try reading their website instead of making stuff up.

I have no interest in wasting my time on their website, I’ve got all my information of them through their various spokespersons on the news. Here’s one of them...
https://news.sky.com/video/extinction-r ... w-11696104
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Looks like they’re targeting Heathrow tomorrow, and that should be sufficient to meet the definition of economic terrorism now.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:20 pm I think the reaction to this kind of thing gets overblown by certain areas of the press. I'm on twitter pretty much constantly and I never heard about the Richard Madeley thing until I saw people laughing at a Daily Fail article about it.
Oi! I'll have you know it was that bastion of fine reporting, The Manchester Evening News, where I dun read it! :P
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Simon wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:04 pmI guess the denying of bail is because of their likelihood to reoffend.
I dunno... plod do the right thing and try to stop these poor people getting into more trouble and they’re criticised ...

There’s No pleasing some people... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:13 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:57 pm

I have no interest in wasting my time on their website, I’ve got all my information of them through their various spokespersons on the news. Here’s one of them...
https://news.sky.com/video/extinction-r ... w-11696104
It’s no surprise to me that you choose ignorance.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Nefarious wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:33 am Unfortunately, protests like this only tend to entrench people's pre-existing views, and in some ways may serve as a disincentive to action.

Basically, and I know I'm personally as guilty of this as the next person, people want their every-increasing consumerist quality of life above all else, and while they quite like the idea of a cleaner, less-fucked planet, they'd rather have their personal guilt assuaged by tickling around the edges than actually grasp the nettle and accept that their fundamental values have to change in order to make a meaningful impact.

Want three foreign holidays a year? Want to eat red meat seven days a week? Want to spend your weekends using pointless retail as a leisure activity? Sure, crack on with all that, so long as you make the right noises, forego plastic straws and sign the odd petition for somebody else to sort the problem. You too can feel smug as fuck as you drop half a dozen bottles off for recycling out of the back of your 3-ton SUV.

At the very very heart of the problem is that reducing environmental damage and increasing national wealth are directly contradictory objectives - tax polluting companies and they move to china, tax car production and people lose jobs, tax imported food and people's grocery bill goes up, tax road travel and people complain that their real wages have fallen due to increased commuting costs. As a nation, we are a million miles from saying "yes, I'm willing to forego more trinkets and baubles to save some animals I'm never going to see or protect a forest that won't even be planted until long after I'm dead".

And TV images of crusties being dragged away by the cops doesn't do much to sell the kind of fundamental lifestyle and value change that's needed. The sub-conscious messages are that environmentalism is extreme (so the little concessions you makes are a *fair* compromise), that taking any positive steps makes you more like those smelly people you hate (and more importantly, look down on), and that ultimately, it's all a bit pointless anyway.

If change is going to happen, it has to happen *within* the realm of established social and political norms. I hate to say it, but those pushing for change need to learn a lesson from the UKIP playbook - sell an idea that genuinely speaks to people's fears and desires, convert the support of the people you persuade into ballot box numbers, and scare mainstream political parties into incorporating the narrative into their own ideologies.
Do we have any awards for well written insightful comnentary of the month or something? 8-)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:28 pm
Nefarious wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:33 am Unfortunately, protests like this only tend to entrench people's pre-existing views, and in some ways may serve as a disincentive to action.

Basically, and I know I'm personally as guilty of this as the next person, people want their every-increasing consumerist quality of life above all else, and while they quite like the idea of a cleaner, less-fucked planet, they'd rather have their personal guilt assuaged by tickling around the edges than actually grasp the nettle and accept that their fundamental values have to change in order to make a meaningful impact.

Want three foreign holidays a year? Want to eat red meat seven days a week? Want to spend your weekends using pointless retail as a leisure activity? Sure, crack on with all that, so long as you make the right noises, forego plastic straws and sign the odd petition for somebody else to sort the problem. You too can feel smug as fuck as you drop half a dozen bottles off for recycling out of the back of your 3-ton SUV.

At the very very heart of the problem is that reducing environmental damage and increasing national wealth are directly contradictory objectives - tax polluting companies and they move to china, tax car production and people lose jobs, tax imported food and people's grocery bill goes up, tax road travel and people complain that their real wages have fallen due to increased commuting costs. As a nation, we are a million miles from saying "yes, I'm willing to forego more trinkets and baubles to save some animals I'm never going to see or protect a forest that won't even be planted until long after I'm dead".

And TV images of crusties being dragged away by the cops doesn't do much to sell the kind of fundamental lifestyle and value change that's needed. The sub-conscious messages are that environmentalism is extreme (so the little concessions you makes are a *fair* compromise), that taking any positive steps makes you more like those smelly people you hate (and more importantly, look down on), and that ultimately, it's all a bit pointless anyway.

If change is going to happen, it has to happen *within* the realm of established social and political norms. I hate to say it, but those pushing for change need to learn a lesson from the UKIP playbook - sell an idea that genuinely speaks to people's fears and desires, convert the support of the people you persuade into ballot box numbers, and scare mainstream political parties into incorporating the narrative into their own ideologies.
Do we have any awards for well written insightful comnentary of the month or something? 8-)
Excellent post.

Dave!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Indeed. Well drafted, Mik :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Nef's post is a disaster, he leaves nothing for us to debate. The least he could've done is let us argue for a while longer first! :D
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Were denied or denied?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Boom.

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

unzippy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:10 am

Were denied or denied?
They were denied bail by the judge.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:34 am Nef's post is a disaster, he leaves nothing for us to debate. The least he could've done is let us argue for a while longer first! :D
I disagree that the only way to work is within the system, people have been trying that for 30+ years and the change isn't happening fast enough.

Farhana Yamin was arrested on Wednesday for gluing herself to the ground outside the Shell offices. She's a lawyer who worked on the original Paris agreement. So there are people who have been trying to work on change within the system who think that too.

You're welcome Duncs ;) .
An absolute unit
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Slow clap award for Emma Thompson who flew from LA to protest in London... 🤔
Cheers,

Ian
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, missing the point of the protest a bit.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:33 am Protests here may bring global coverage but they achieve absolutely nothing
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... um=ios_app
Middle-aged Dirtbag