Climate change protestors

Simon

Climate change protestors

Post by Simon »

I won't even dignify this bunch of idiots by mentioning their stupid name.

Look, generally I'm on their side. Yes, climate change is a problem, and yes things need to be done; Despite UK emissions continuing to fall and being amongst the most consistent country to reduce emissions there are still problems here. With improvements in car fuel economy, those savings are being negated by many in their vain switch to unnecessary and uneconomic (and heavy) SUVs. And whilst planes are more and more clean per passenger mile flown, CO2 remains a problem due to the increasing number of flights and people travelling around the world.

BUT, the second you start smashing up and vandalising an office, or stopping Londoners from getting around town, or (here's the really stupid bit) targetting the tube then you don't just lose the argument, but you can actively turn people against you.

If these idiots really wanted to make a difference they'd take their message to the world stage and target those countries that are making zero effort. But then again, that's harder than camping out a few days in London isn't it?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Richard

Re: Climate change protestors

Post by Richard »

I rather expect the climate change protestors are furious that’s happened as well
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Simon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:56 am
If these idiots really wanted to make a difference they'd take their message to the world stage and target those countries that are making zero effort. But then again, that's harder than camping out a few days in London isn't it?
You realise this is a bullshit argument right? It's the kind of thing always pulled out by people who want to try and invalidate the viewpoint of people they don't agree with.
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:08 am
You realise this is a bullshit argument right? It's the kind of thing always pulled out by people who want to try and invalidate the viewpoint of people they don't agree with.
Well that isn't me. FWIW I agree with their viewpoint, and more can be done, but on the whole with the UK you're preaching to the converted. And how is it bullshit?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:08 am
Default oppoosing viewpoint ✔️
Zero substantiation or facts provided ✔️
Generic wide-sweeping accusation ✔️
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'd disagree that protesting climate change in the UK is preaching to the converted, especially under the current government.

This protest is on the global stage, it's been seen by people and covered by press from all over the world. Which it wouldn't be if they tried to protest like this in somewhere like China.

Saying why are they protesting here, they should be protesting there is the same type of argument as why are you protesting this when you should be protesting this unrelated thing that also happens instead imo. It's only purpose is to devalue the protest.
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

Whatever. They're not being very effective with their "bring the tube to a halt" strategy as not only was it working perfectly I even got a seat this morning! 8-)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

GG. wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:56 am Whatever. They're not being very effective with their "bring the tube to a halt" strategy as not only was it working perfectly I even got a seat this morning! 8-)
Please stop devaluing the protest - that is such bullshit. Apparently.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:58 am
GG. wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:56 am Whatever. They're not being very effective with their "bring the tube to a halt" strategy as not only was it working perfectly I even got a seat this morning! 8-)
Please stop devaluing the protest - that is such bullshit. Apparently.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Zed is correct. They're getting global attention because they're affecting a major global capital. The only way to solve the environmental crisis is by Governments working together. Our Government, along with many others, need to influence those that aren't doing enough.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

They made be getting global attention but if they aren't targeting the worst offending countries then their efforts will be in vain. And countries do by and large work together (with the exception of Trump pulling USA out of the Paris agreement), but there is only so much leverage one country can exert on another to get them to change course.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 am They made be getting global attention but if they aren't targeting the worst offending countries then their efforts will be in vain. And countries do by and large work together (with the exception of Trump pulling USA out of the Paris agreement), but there is only so much leverage one country can exert on another to get them to change course.
OK, fuck it, then. Let's do nothing.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Careful Rev, JL will start to make snarky comments on every post you make if you start talking like that :lol:.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Protests here may bring global coverage but they achieve absolutely nothing and will mostly be forgotten about a few weeks after they end.
They must mostly be unemployed cunts from outer London too as they’re all living in tents by Marble Arch and shitting in Hyde Park. Even more unemployable now after being arrested. The amount of crap they’ve littered makes a traveller family look respectable and sends a rather conflicting message. Also a climate protest a fucking week after ULEZ was implemented... fuck off.
How about not having a sig at all?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:29 am Careful Rev, JL will start to make snarky comments on every post you make if you start talking like that :lol:.
I won't though, as I like Dave.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:33 am Protests here may bring global coverage but they achieve absolutely nothing and will mostly be forgotten about a few weeks after they end.
They must mostly be unemployed cunts from outer London too as they’re all living in tents by Marble Arch and shitting in Hyde Park. Even more unemployable now after being arrested. The amount of crap they’ve littered makes a traveller family look respectable and sends a rather conflicting message. Also a climate protest a fucking week after ULEZ was implemented... fuck off.
You're a proper idiot, aren't you?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Protests don’t work.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:28 am
Simon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 am They made be getting global attention but if they aren't targeting the worst offending countries then their efforts will be in vain. And countries do by and large work together (with the exception of Trump pulling USA out of the Paris agreement), but there is only so much leverage one country can exert on another to get them to change course.
OK, fuck it, then. Let's do nothing.
No, don't do nothing. Definitely do something, but channel the efforts where they're needed. I'd argue that aiming to disrupt the mass transit system of the capital of the G20 economy that has reduced its carbon footprint by far the largest amount is not the most efficient use of their energies. What next, targeting a Brompton factory? Maybe announce a sit-in at a Tesla dealership? If they're really motivated then target the governments, embassies or companies of countries that are doing nothing or have gone backwards, but for god sake do it in a way that doesn't lose you the support of people on the same thought train.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:37 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:29 am Careful Rev, JL will start to make snarky comments on every post you make if you start talking like that :lol:.
I won't though, as I like Dave.
So is this like one of those playground hair pulling things? You keep saying you don't like me but you can't stop trying to get my attention.
An absolute unit
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yep, pretty much. I like you. Send bobs and vagene.

No, seriously, you seem to post things that I just can't help but argue with.