Climate change protestors

Mito Man

Re: Climate change protestors

Post by Mito Man »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:43 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:33 am Protests here may bring global coverage but they achieve absolutely nothing
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... um=ios_app
I doubt it’s as cut and dry as you think. The government already had a crap load of plans for a greener future (it’s not like there’s any other choice with all the emissions penalties). They’re now just simply tieing it in with the protests to pretend they care and give some comfort to the tree hugging snowflakes. Easy brownie points in times of GREAT DIVISION.
How about not having a sig at all?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sobedience

Good explanation of their methods here.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The funny thing is, the best thing for this planet's survival would be our extinction.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:34 pm The funny thing is, the best thing for this planet's survival would be our extinction.
the planet will outlast us, we might outlive the bits of the planet that are useful to us though.
Simon

Post by Simon »

The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’d happily have them all put through a wood chipper and into a pile of compost at this point.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Simon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:24 am Do you lot still support their methods?
That was stupid and the general consensus from the leftist echo chamber™ agrees.

Disrupting the type of public transport you're trying to encourage people to use is idiotic.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Standing on people’s trains And disrupting individuals journeys turns it personal. I’m not surprised.
Simon

Post by Simon »

It's a nonsense isn't it?

For XR to be successful they need to take the public with them, and stopping the working class people of East London from using electrified mass transit to get to work is not going to engender them to anyone.

I was also reading that XR's claims go far beyond the IPCC's own reports on climate change and its affects. So they expect us to support them and for the governments to submit to their demands when they themselves don't stand behind the climate change science and scientists.

They should stick to the science and the facts and work out a way to take the public with them, because no government will act unless it pressed into action by the public at large, not just a bunch of loonies like this.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:57 am Standing on people’s trains And disrupting individuals journeys turns it personal. I’m not surprised.
I agree , hopefully the shoeing sends a clear message to the protestors regards how normal folk feel.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

There are a lot of uncomfortable discussions happening this morning about how white and middle class XR are.

This is the second time recently they've done something that really didn't have the right tone imo (the fire engine stunt was the other one).

They're pretty much pushing themselves into another hippy protest sideshow at this point.

They also need to stop going on GMB, no good can come from talking to Piers Morgan.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Looks like people within XR were against this protest as well. Either that or trying to save face in hindsight.

An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:01 am It's a nonsense isn't it?

For XR to be successful they need to take the public with them, and stopping the working class people of East London from using electrified mass transit to get to work is not going to engender them to anyone.

I was also reading that XR's claims go far beyond the IPCC's own reports on climate change and its affects. So they expect us to support them and for the governments to submit to their demands when they themselves don't stand behind the climate change science and scientists.

They should stick to the science and the facts and work out a way to take the public with them, because no government will act unless it pressed into action by the public at large, not just a bunch of loonies like this.
Anyone see the Andrew Neill interview with Zion Lights of XR? I didn't but I gather it was a fecking car crash on XR's part, with AN being fairly gentle with her but unpicking everything with info only from the IPCC reports. They then had another XR nutter on the couch on Newsnight the night after, with an author of the IPCC studies - try as he did to not play down the climate change message, he couldn't avoid torpedoing their total fecking nonsense.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The amount of resources they’re using up is incredible, I saw 3 double decker coaches full of police yesterday going through Parliament. Loads of police taking selfies as they’ve been brought in from Wales according to the vans parked by them. Lancashire constabulary van also there.
Saw a police twitter spat claiming crime was on the rise around the country whenever there’s an XR protest as the criminals know there’s much less police presence in areas where there aren’t protests.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Can we put them to work on giant hamster wheels, generating electricity for the rest of us? They'd be doing their bit for sustainable energy production then.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:28 am
Simon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:01 am It's a nonsense isn't it?

Anyone see the Andrew Neill interview with Zion Lights of XR? I didn't but I gather it was a fecking car crash on XR's part, with AN being fairly gentle with her but unpicking everything with info only from the IPCC reports. They then had another XR nutter on the couch on Newsnight the night after, with an author of the IPCC studies - try as he did to not play down the climate change message, he couldn't avoid torpedoing their total fecking nonsense.
Yes, the Andrew Neil interview you talk about is what led me to start down that path.

They're doing the whole climate change issue a huge disservice now. As I said, stick to the facts and the science! The last thing the world needs is more fake news and made up facts.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Here is the Andrew Neil interview. 2025 discussion is from 5:15 onwards:

2030 would require "state rationing of meat, confiscation of private cars and one private flight per 5 years". 2025 would be a ban on all flying.

Obviously they're predominantly anticapitalists to start off with so the detrimental side effects of that target are a plus for them. :roll:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I also saw one of their loons on the Today programme last week. Even found myself in agreement with Jess Phillips FFS, when she pointed out that they had to get the public onside, and that their stunts were more likely to damage their cause and turn people away from their message. She also said they need to get real about carbon zero by 2025.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It's just the Occupy dickheads again, isn't it?
Middle-aged Dirtbag