Climate change protestors

ZedLeg

Re: Climate change protestors

Post by ZedLeg »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:48 am Yep, pretty much. I like you. Send bobs and vagene.

No, seriously, you seem to post things that I just can't help but argue with.
Yeah I won't argue with you though because there's no point.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:28 am
Simon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 am They made be getting global attention but if they aren't targeting the worst offending countries then their efforts will be in vain. And countries do by and large work together (with the exception of Trump pulling USA out of the Paris agreement), but there is only so much leverage one country can exert on another to get them to change course.
OK, fuck it, then. Let's do nothing.
unfortunately twatty sarcastic comments and delaying normal people getting to work don’t really help win hearts and minds to a cause.

That’s the big challenge - how do you make people want to change, and push their governments to act on it.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Protest? Fine.

Smashing windows and other vandalism? Get to fvck.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

A nice easy way to change things up would be to stop end users paying all the costs for big business not giving a shit.

At the moment if I buy some granola from Tescos it comes in a "not currently recycled" package. I then have to bin that, which goes to local landfill where my local council have to pay a fine or whatever it is called for each ton.

I appreciate I can try and chose food based on packaging but I suspect if Tesco et al were billed per ton of no recyclable waste sold, they would suddenly find alternate and more environmentally friendly packaging.

It is like charging drivers of cars ludicrous amounts in tax and congestion charges etc allegedly to save the environment whilst manky taxis and buses and sea freight and air freight etc are given "breaks".

Having manky looters who poop in the park are not a good poster campaign tough so it is easier to criticise them, than it is to see what point they are trying to make.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:15 pm A nice easy way to change things up would be to stop end users paying all the costs for big business not giving a shit.

At the moment if I buy some granola from Tescos it comes in a "not currently recycled" package. I then have to bin that, which goes to local landfill where my local council have to pay a fine or whatever it is called for each ton.
O/T (ish) but just a point of note to address a common misconception - it's very highly unlikely that such non-recyclable waste still goes to landfill. Most now goes to Energy from Waste facilities. Very little waste goes to landfill these days.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep I thought we practically burn almost everything since we can no longer ship it to China or wherever it was.
How about not having a sig at all?
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Agree with their motivation and generally with what they want government to do, but what they're asking for (UK to emit zero carbon by 2025) is unrealistic. The policies that the Govt. have put in place won't lead to fast enough carbon reduction to meet the govt.s own carbon budgets, however. Direct action can be beneficial, butI don't agree with their protesting inconveniencing the public so much, this will just make people annoyed with them rather than supporting them.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The media only tend to focus on certain things.

For example last friday https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... otorbikes/ this happened and didn't get a mention in the 24 rolling new from the BBC. Now had they become pains in the arse then I would suspect that would be different.

Oh by the way guys chill out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Gavin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:15 pm
Leave the packaging at Tesco - they then have to pay to dispose.
This used to happen a lot at my local Aldi in SE London but I suspect that was more to help with space while getting the groceries home.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Unfortunately, protests like this only tend to entrench people's pre-existing views, and in some ways may serve as a disincentive to action.

Basically, and I know I'm personally as guilty of this as the next person, people want their every-increasing consumerist quality of life above all else, and while they quite like the idea of a cleaner, less-fucked planet, they'd rather have their personal guilt assuaged by tickling around the edges than actually grasp the nettle and accept that their fundamental values have to change in order to make a meaningful impact.

Want three foreign holidays a year? Want to eat red meat seven days a week? Want to spend your weekends using pointless retail as a leisure activity? Sure, crack on with all that, so long as you make the right noises, forego plastic straws and sign the odd petition for somebody else to sort the problem. You too can feel smug as fuck as you drop half a dozen bottles off for recycling out of the back of your 3-ton SUV.

At the very very heart of the problem is that reducing environmental damage and increasing national wealth are directly contradictory objectives - tax polluting companies and they move to china, tax car production and people lose jobs, tax imported food and people's grocery bill goes up, tax road travel and people complain that their real wages have fallen due to increased commuting costs. As a nation, we are a million miles from saying "yes, I'm willing to forego more trinkets and baubles to save some animals I'm never going to see or protect a forest that won't even be planted until long after I'm dead".

And TV images of crusties being dragged away by the cops doesn't do much to sell the kind of fundamental lifestyle and value change that's needed. The sub-conscious messages are that environmentalism is extreme (so the little concessions you makes are a *fair* compromise), that taking any positive steps makes you more like those smelly people you hate (and more importantly, look down on), and that ultimately, it's all a bit pointless anyway.

If change is going to happen, it has to happen *within* the realm of established social and political norms. I hate to say it, but those pushing for change need to learn a lesson from the UKIP playbook - sell an idea that genuinely speaks to people's fears and desires, convert the support of the people you persuade into ballot box numbers, and scare mainstream political parties into incorporating the narrative into their own ideologies.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Can't disagree with any of that, no matter how uncomfortable that truth is.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I find myself completely unable to disagree with ANYTHING Nef says - whether it's Climate Change, Mental Health or how to sharpen and hone your knives...

He's like a modern day Prophet.. he should start a religion IMO... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Have you actually heard the mission statement for these idiots? They had a spokesperson on the news yesterday who said we’re going to have a weather phenomenon this summer which will cause huge droughts and mass extinction. Ridiculous. Almost as bad as the idiot who predicts the apocalypse every year.
How about not having a sig at all?
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Getting all governments to stop using GDP growth as an indicator to measure the success of their economies would be a good start.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 am Have you actually heard the mission statement for these idiots? They had a spokesperson on the news yesterday who said we’re going to have a weather phenomenon this summer which will cause huge droughts and mass extinction. Ridiculous. Almost as bad as the idiot who predicts the apocalypse every year.
Richard Madeley copped for a load of grief the other day apparently after interviewing one of these. She'd referenced Sir David Attenborough in her comments regarding the fact her children would starve to death because of climate change effected food shortages. Or something to that extent,

To which Richard said "he's not a saint you know. He's just a broadcaster" :lol:

Cue Twatter meltdown with faux OUTRAGE at the disrespect Madeley was showing to Attenborough :roll:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

This culture of constantly being outraged and offended is way, way out of control, isn't it. And getting worse.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think the reaction to this kind of thing gets overblown by certain areas of the press. I'm on twitter pretty much constantly and I never heard about the Richard Madeley thing until I saw people laughing at a Daily Fail article about it.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:20 pm I think the reaction to this kind of thing gets overblown by certain areas of the press. I'm on twitter pretty much constantly and I never heard about the Richard Madeley thing until I saw people laughing at a Daily Fail article about it.
Exactly this. Daily Mail prints the headline "OUTRAGE at xxxx..." headline, then provides 3 tweets from absolute mouth-breathing mongs that suit the narrative and moves on to the next thing. No one worth listening to is outraged at any of it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Sorry, I've realised that "mong" is offensive. I meant "spacktard".
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Protesters being denied bail is ridiculous.

An absolute unit