VAG “sweeping” indicators as hazards

mik

VAG “sweeping” indicators as hazards

Post by mik »

Looked STOOPID and therefore IRKED me. :evil:

This was on a Golf as opposed to an Audi, so I am not even sure if they are oem (?)
V8Granite

Re: VAG “sweeping” indicators as hazards

Post by V8Granite »

They look cheap and nasty, chintzy tat. BMW appears to be better than Merc and Audi currently with regards to chintzy rubbish, Mercedes are especially bad at the minute.

I’m surprised they don’t do the stick on wheelarch covers you see on older rusty Mercs yet!

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

They are OEM but plenty of manufacturers have them now - Lexus, JLR, Peugeot all spotted recently. Fucking horrible.
Richard

Post by Richard »

The first time I saw them I thought they looked interesting, but I think they’re stupid, really

Like Lambo doors, fun and interesting on an Aventador, but would soon look stupid if they too were fitted to every VAG car
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Indicators that replace the DRLs continue to be my particular automotive light-related trigger, as previously discussed.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

They're a stupid idea and far less clear and visible than a simple flash on / off version of the exact same light would be.

They probably did it on one model to see if they could when they decided it was going to have led lights and now they have to stick it on everything because they don't want the new model to look inferior to that one with the sweeping indicators :roll:
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I agree with everything in this thread regarding crapness of Knight Rider indicators and DRLs that switch off when you're indicating.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 am I agree with everything in this thread regarding crapness of Knight Rider indicators and DRLs that switch off when you're indicating.
And let's not get started on DRLs that are front only that idiots think are good enough for driving at night with.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Most of the new lorry trailers have those sweeping indicators now so I think any connotations of it being a classy thing to have are well and truly gone.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:13 am Indicators that replace the DRLs continue to be my particular automotive light-related trigger, as previously discussed.
Wasn't that driven by some regulatory demand from the US?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Am I the only person on here who likes them? :lol:
scotta

Post by scotta »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:13 am Indicators that replace the DRLs continue to be my particular automotive light-related trigger, as previously discussed.
The 2 series DRL goes to 50% when indicating - is this what you speak of?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

My problem with the sweeping ones I've seen is that they're just not very clear compared to the traditional blinking ones. But that seems to be true for a lot of the current light designs where some design graduate has been given free reign to make some funky looking light cluster without giving any thought to its functional design. I thought there'd still be minimum safety standards that would have to be met with these things.
Cheers,

Mike.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

scotta wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:43 pm
It's not mate - it seems most prevalent on Jeep Cherokees which are abundant here, but probably less so in the UK. Basically the DRLs are a near-headlight bright white LED at the front to three of the four sides of the headlight, inner vertical edge not included. When the indicators go, this white turns to orange, but the flashing nature of it means that for half of the time, it just looks like the one DRL isn't working. There's just no way it can be seen as an improvement in safety - it's just designers being cocks.
scotta

Post by scotta »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:18 pm
scotta wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:43 pm
It's not mate - it seems most prevalent on Jeep Cherokees which are abundant here, but probably less so in the UK. Basically the DRLs are a near-headlight bright white LED at the front to three of the four sides of the headlight, inner vertical edge not included. When the indicators go, this white turns to orange, but the flashing nature of it means that for half of the time, it just looks like the one DRL isn't working. There's just no way it can be seen as an improvement in safety - it's just designers being cocks.
Ah i see - yes the 2 has a separate unit that flashes. the DRL Dim's to make it more noticeable.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Peugeot even do it on the front, think Lexus do aswell. The worst offender for me is the Audi q3, it’s a thin line of leds through the centre of the light block- it’s completely overpowered by the brake lights and just doesn’t stand out enough
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Surprised no one's mentioned the cost of these things too!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:49 pm Surprised no one's mentioned the cost of these things too!
Jeebus, they’re not charging you for looking at them are they?!!?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:50 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:49 pm Surprised no one's mentioned the cost of these things too!
When I was browsing the Audi site a couple of years back they were a £1.5k option.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:00 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:50 pm
When I was browsing the Audi site a couple of years back they were a £1.5k option.
someone wanting to pay thousands of pounds to make their indicators more swanky doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Those indicators being less effective at indicating compared to “normal” ones does.