‘Software over the air’ updates

Orange Cola

‘Software over the air’ updates

Post by Orange Cola »

Ford have a decent infotainment system, people complain it’s not ‘premium’ feeling but it does what it says on the tin and for me, so far, it’s been reliable. Until today.

My ST and my Mustang have the exact same system in them, the speakers are different but that’s about it. The ST gets better WiFi coverage where it sits in the drive and the Mustang is in a bit of a dead spot. No problem, I have a wireless range extender for my PC so I just need logged the Mustang on to that, full connection and no issues anymore. My ST has updated to the latest software without me knowing because it’s designed to sit on the WiFi after key off and download the software for 30 minutes at a time, repeating until complete. Job jobbed fucking brilliant.

So I noticed the USB ports in the Mustang stopped working, I contacted the dealer who said this was a common issue and often rectified when a software update was available. Connected the WiFi to the car and thought it would update over the coming weeks because the battery protection would kick in, just like it has been doing on the ST, for a seamless update. The Mustang had other ideas, it started downloading the update until the point where it had completely drained its own battery. Good job I decided to do this at the weekend and not mid week when I needed to get to work :roll: And why the fuck does the appearance of Software update cause a common problem of knocking USB functionality out? Amazingly Ford offer the ability to update the software via USB too which is really fucking useful :roll:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
V8Granite

Re: ‘Software over the air’ updates

Post by V8Granite »

I have an extremely basic level of understanding about things like this and completely understand that it works very well for millions of people.

I do not want my car doing things without me
Knowing though and would be pretty pissed if my car charger suddenly stopped working one morning.

Over-complicated distractions just have no place in a car imo.

Dave!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Exactly, it’s a step too far when an infotainment update can render the car completely useless.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

That’s not the over the air updates fault; it’s the poor implementation by Ford that’s the issue.

The M4 updates its satnav every month, and it just takes 5 - 10 more for the system to launch when you start it up. It certainly doesn’t stop anything else from working!
Cheers,

Ian
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It’s a general problem with everything being internet connected these days. You hear of people who can’t use their lights or heating until they’ve done a firmware upgrade.

Software updates can, and do more often than they should, go wrong. Given these updates are unattended, they should have a better fail-safe deployment method ie an easy roll back when the install fails.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

So after getting the car on a charger last night and letting it continue to update to the 3/4 point on the progress bar it’s re-started the whole thing again this morning. The drivers door keyless entry is also playing up now, it registers the hand and you can hear the lock making a noise but it doesn’t manage to physically unlock for the first couple of attempts. I’m hoping it’s something to do with the fact the bonnet is open and it’s still on charge.

At least it started though.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I'm not familiar with the Fiesta / Mustang set up, but I know the Sync 3 fitted in the Focus can be updated via USB stick.

Is it possible to disable OTA and only update via USB when you can be bothered ?
Real-life Females
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Actually, what really annoys me is Apps that won’t work until you update them, Amazon on a smart TV for example, but wait until you select it to ask if you want to update; please just auto-update ffs!
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My “smart” toothbrush stopped working a few weeks ago and popped up a notification on my phone saying I have to change the brush head. Fucking bastard.
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Nathan wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:56 pm I'm not familiar with the Fiesta / Mustang set up, but I know the Sync 3 fitted in the Focus can be updated via USB stick.

Is it possible to disable OTA and only update via USB when you can be bothered ?
The original post explains the issue ;)
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

IanF wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:48 pm Actually, what really annoys me is Apps that won’t work until you update them, Amazon on a smart TV for example, but wait until you select it to ask if you want to update; please just auto-update ffs!
That is special. There’s no reason, other than to annoy the user why you’d want to do that.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Orange Cola wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:07 pm I’m hoping it’s something to do with the fact the bonnet is open and it’s still on charge.
The Mondeo would do something similar. Never worked out a specific pattern to it, or managed to code it out.

Intensely annoying when you're working on the car, go to shut the bonnet, and it just wouldn't shut unless you perform some or all of the following: unlock the car, get in, turn the ignition on, turn it off, and then shut the bonnet.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Turn it on and off again
Real-life Females
scotta

Post by scotta »

IanF wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:01 pm That’s not the over the air updates fault; it’s the poor implementation by Ford that’s the issue.

The M4 updates its satnav every month, and it just takes 5 - 10 more for the system to launch when you start it up. It certainly doesn’t stop anything else from working!
How do you know its done it....Asking for a friend...
tim

Post by tim »

Mine said there was a nav update available the other day and would I like to do it but I was in the middle of reversing out of a car park so no i bloody didn't thank you and cancelled it.

But I don't know how to make it repeat the process.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Beany wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:33 am
Orange Cola wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:07 pm I’m hoping it’s something to do with the fact the bonnet is open and it’s still on charge.
The Mondeo would do something similar. Never worked out a specific pattern to it, or managed to code it out.

Intensely annoying when you're working on the car, go to shut the bonnet, and it just wouldn't shut unless you perform some or all of the following: unlock the car, get in, turn the ignition on, turn it off, and then shut the bonnet.
Car off charge and it’s wirking fine again. I can only assume charging the car messes with the small amount of current across the sensor.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Oh and as a further update despite being on trickle charge it hadn’t completed the update by 9:30pm Sunday. And the progress bar has a mind of its own, gets so far through then resets back to the beginning. Not sure if that’s because it’s starting again or it’s just a really crap bar when it comes to calculating genuine progress.

All for a fucking USB port :roll:
Richard

Post by Richard »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 pm Oh and as a further update despite being on trickle charge it hadn’t completed the update by 9:30pm Sunday. And the progress bar has a mind of its own, gets so far through then resets back to the beginning. Not sure if that’s because it’s starting again or it’s just a really crap bar when it comes to calculating genuine progress.

All for a fucking USB port :roll:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Attempt two this weekend. Car is currently on charge to get the battery fully charged then tomorrow I plan to stick the charger back on, out the ignition on and just leave it updating all day, or until the battery goes flat again :roll: