‘Software over the air’ updates

Swervin_Mervin

Re: ‘Software over the air’ updates

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

This Mustang sounds like it's just a royal PITA.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Is it still within the warranty period so you can take it to Ford?
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:12 pm Is it still within the warranty period so you can take it to Ford?
User serviceable bit so they’ll just charge you dealer rates to update it, even if I try and claim non working USB’s under warranty the first thing Ford tell the dealer to do is update the software and bill the customer if that fixes it. I e had enough arguing with Ford since September so I'll happily try this first before going back to them. It’ll probably be quicker for me to do it and I know I won’t damage the car in the process. Ford customer service is particularly fucking awful at the moment, I suspect it’s to do with the number of 1L Ecoboost engines they’re having to cough up for.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:02 pm This Mustang sounds like it's just a royal PITA.
It seems I’m par for the course, if my heart wasn’t sold on a Mustang I’d have fucked off to Porsche (or Merc, Audi, BMW) and spent the exact same money there and got a better level of customer care. They just aren’t ready to compete with the German brands.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 pm Oh and as a further update despite being on trickle charge it hadn’t completed the update by 9:30pm Sunday. And the progress bar has a mind of its own, gets so far through then resets back to the beginning. Not sure if that’s because it’s starting again or it’s just a really crap bar when it comes to calculating genuine progress.

All for a fucking USB port :roll:
Can't you force a manual reset ?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I was just wondering if Sync 3 is based on a crap Windows system as people have so many problems with it but it’s Blackberry QNX (I didn’t know Blackberry we’re still around). The QNX software seems to be used in most cars
http://qnxauto.blogspot.com/2015/06/the ... s.html?m=1
Quite interesting, so are most cars basically running the same software with different skins? I can’t believe it’s what BMW use or even Chevrolet as they’re so much nicer to use...
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Sync 2 was Microsoft I think. Not sure about Sync 1.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Nathan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:37 am
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 pm Oh and as a further update despite being on trickle charge it hadn’t completed the update by 9:30pm Sunday. And the progress bar has a mind of its own, gets so far through then resets back to the beginning. Not sure if that’s because it’s starting again or it’s just a really crap bar when it comes to calculating genuine progress.

All for a fucking USB port :roll:
Can't you force a manual reset ?
I’ve already done that, that was the first thing :cry:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:11 am I was just wondering if Sync 3 is based on a crap Windows system as people have so many problems with it but it’s Blackberry QNX (I didn’t know Blackberry we’re still around). The QNX software seems to be used in most cars
http://qnxauto.blogspot.com/2015/06/the ... s.html?m=1
Quite interesting, so are most cars basically running the same software with different skins? I can’t believe it’s what BMW use or even Chevrolet as they’re so much nicer to use...
Basically, yes. Like TV’s were there are very few actual screen manufacturers there’s not many people who actually make infotainment software. You specify the functionality you want, hence why BMW’s iDrive is a different layout or has more options compared to someone else’s to use, then design your skin to put over it and hey presto you have a very different looking and feeling system but with all the proven basics as a benefit. For someone like Ford they could very easily make Sync feel more premium just by solving a different skin on it.

If you want to see how frigging hard it is to get an infotainment system right take a look at JLR’s attempt which is in house. That’s actually cost them more than going elsewhere and just buying off the shelf and it still gets slated in all the reviews.