Mental Health

nuttinnew

Re: Mental Health

Post by nuttinnew »

I'll put this here rather than the tv thread because of the subject; Horizon 2020: What's the Matter with Tony Slattery? https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... y-slattery
Beany

Post by Beany »

That could be interesting. I remember a tale about him having a riverside place in London, I think, and he had a 'moment' and started throwing his possessions in the Thames, causing the river police to rock up and politely ask him, by name, over the megaphone, to stop chucking his stuff in the river.
mik

Post by mik »

Thanks for the link - interested to watch this.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Watched this the other day and it is incredibly tragic what happened to him. I won't say anymore for those intending to watch it though.

Beany - I think that was on a programme that Stephen Fry did into his bi-polar diagnosis. He went to see Tony Slattery at said riverside apartment where that tale was recounted. I guess that must've been 10-15yrs ago? He's deteriorated a lot since that programme even. Stephen Fry pops up in this Horizon as well, and I have to say he looks incredibly well - good to see that he's managing to keep on top of matters.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yup, that'll be where I heard it from.

I'll have to have a look, I reckon.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I saw a pic of him the other day, couldnt believe it but then drink and drugs do take their toll.

Very funny in his day, never even realised he was gay not that it matters.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Broccers wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:44 pm I saw a pic of him the other day, couldnt believe it but then drink and drugs do take their toll.

Very funny in his day, never even realised he was gay not that it matters.
I didn't realise until I read an article last year about him (The Times, Guardian or something?). Presumably the article spawned this documentary, hope he makes a few quid as he was pretty destitute IIRC.

I remember his Coke sweats in all his Who's Line.. appearances.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I saw Slattery in Edinburgh last August; he had been invited onto a Who's Line Is It Anyway retrospective in 2018 and as a result did a show basically recounting tales of his life the following year. There was a sensitive chap alongside him asking him questions though it didn't really give much of a steer to the ramblings.

Hope he's making some money out of his life story now. He doesn't have anything left otherwise after his generosity with his coke.
mik

Post by mik »

Put this on last night - not an easy watch. One thing that really struck me was the level of patience/empathy/unquestioning love from his partner. Based on this footage - a very good man. Respect.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:23 am One thing that really struck me was the level of patience/empathy/unquestioning love from his partner. Based on this footage - a very good man. Respect.
Amen, brother. That we all should be so fortunate (I think I probably was, once.).
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I'm now starting to ween myself off my SSRIs (under the doctor's guidance, obviously). I've got my anxiety under control (The divorce is completed and I'm strictly childcare and shared parenting with the narcissistic sociopath now).

The tales of "brain shocks" sound like fun, though.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Good luck, I hope it goes smoothly :)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Turns out I wasn’t past the worst of it :lol:

My missus and I separated about a month ago because I had been a real piece of shit. We’re still talking but she’s already told me that she couldn’t contemplate coming back unless I make some real changes and try to work on myself.

I’ve talked to my doctor a few times and I’m getting a psych evaluation for BPD. It makes sense with regards to my history of substance use and shall we say erratic behaviour.

Been a rough few weeks and I think that there’s a lot of rough weeks to come but hopefully going to keep moving forward and get better.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Definitely better to work on it than to do my technique, which involves burning literally every bridge I cross as soon as I cross them :lol:

One day I'll improve on that, but not today.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, if it was 10 years ago I probably would've fucked it all off and started the whole cycle again. Cracking on for 40 now though, I suppose I have to deal with my issues like an adult at some point :lol:
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Don't do it, it's a trap!
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:35 am Turns out I wasn’t past the worst of it :lol:

My missus and I separated about a month ago
I read this earlier and in my head it said “I was past the worst of it” :?

Can’t offer any advice so I won’t, but hope this is either and acceptable situation, or you manage to work things out. (YC)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Appreciate it Mik, just got to give it time I think.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

All the best Zed, hope you get yourself into a better place with it all. I'm guessing seeking help is a pretty big step in the whole process.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, I started before. Got on medication, stopped drinking and started going to a CBT therapist. Decided I’d done enough and sacked off the CBT while still being shitty in other ways.

Need to really show that I’m serious about getting better now.
An absolute unit