Getting old

McSwede

Getting old

Post by McSwede »

Booked myself in for an eye test today as over the last two weeks my eyesight for reading has become rubbish. I feel like Mr Magoo :lol: I have been surprised how quick it seems to have happened though.

Eyetest results were inevitable and I now need to find some nice looking prescription reading glasses. I hate buying sunglasses because I have a big head so really can't be arsed with this :geek: :geek: :geek: :lol:
Simon

Re: Getting old

Post by Simon »

I think you can compensate for only so far and then suddenly you can't compensate any more.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Define "old", please (as in a narrow age bracket, not the word).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

McSwede wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:47 pm Booked myself in for an eye test today as over the last two weeks my eyesight for reading has become rubbish. I feel like Mr Magoo :lol: I have been surprised how quick it seems to have happened though.

Eyetest results were inevitable and I now need to find some nice looking prescription reading glasses. I hate buying sunglasses because I have a big head so really can't be arsed with this :geek: :geek: :geek: :lol:
All of that. Been putting it off for ages then tried some spare readers off the old man and it's like a whole new world of vision.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

You can see when people get to around 45 and they start peering at stuff in a certain way that they’re heading for reading glasses or bifocals. Seen it with a couple of mates and the Mrs.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

What's taken me by surprise is how sudden it's been. Soon my arms won't be long enough to read a book. :lol:

It was amazing though when she put the correct lenses on for me and gave me something to read.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Memory works differently as you get older. Since I’ve turned 40, I’ve needed slightly different ways to recall stuff... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I can't work out what that means.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:26 pm I can't work out what that means.
You just can’t remember these days.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

This is true. Except I think it's less about my memory not working that well and more about not being that interested in anything any more :D
Richard

Post by Richard »

It’s a good way of showing how long our bodies are designed to last for - mid 40s and things start to fail

Wear your glasses tho, it reduces eye strain. Don’t be one of those idiots who thinks wearing your glasses makes you lazy

Also, if it’s ONLY for reading and you only need up to a basic +2, those cheaply reading glasses you can buy in the pharmacy or supermarket etc will be absolutely fine
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

This reminds me of one chat with a Doctor about cancer. He said they had discovered parallels to the rapid aging gene salmon have which causes them to age and die in a matter of days after laying eggs - the body is designed to reach sexual maturity, have babies and hang around long enough for said babies to become self sufficient. That’s about 25-30 years going back a few millennia and still stacks up in terms of reaching peak physical performance.
And some cunt told me that life starts once you hit 30 :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:26 am You can see when people get to around 45 and they start peering at stuff in a certain way that they’re heading for reading glasses or bifocals. Seen it with a couple of mates and the Mrs.
This is me now, the past year I've realised I struggle with certain text and close up. Over due an eye test anyways.
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

dinny_g wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:23 am Memory works differently as you get older. Since I’ve turned 40, I’ve needed slightly different ways to recall stuff.. :lol:

Dreams about visiting a colonised Mars?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I notice more and more that I need to take a photo of something small and low contrast and zoom in to be able to read it.

e.g. MacBook Pro serial number.
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

I started wearing reading glasses last year. TAUC. :?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’s my 36th birthday today and I just noticed my eye sight getting worse a little while ago. I’ve not been bothered to get an eye test though.

I’ve noticed my memory and concentration have actually been improving recently. That’s probably because I’m drinking way less now than I used to. Got a chemical couple of days planned to see if I can change that :lol:.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Alright alright grandads, time for your cocoa.

Recovery tim from training has increased by an extra day but apart from that I just remember to be in total denial about it, feels great!

Dave!
evostick

Post by evostick »

II recently went for an eye test after noticing that I can't focus on things close-up so well anymore, sure that I'd benefit from specs.

The optician (much younger than me and with coke bottle lenses himself) went straight into that patronising 'you poor old fucker we all get to that time of life eventually' mode. I could tell that he was just gleefully itching to encumber me with a set of goggles.

My brain, the cunt, decided to piss on his chips and prove how FG it thinks it is :roll:

I had perfect vision for exactly the duration of the eye test.

However I do have my doubts as to whether to fleeting satisfaction of seeing the obvious disappointment behind the half-inch thick lenses of the smug looking optician will be worth the next five years of squinting and head waggling necessitated by my self-deception.

I type this with my laptop on the furthest point of my kneecaps just so I can read my own words :(
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

It really is a relief to know it's not just me. I've put it off for longer than necessary, mainly because I'm vain and don't want to admit I'm 44 and can't read the date on my watch any more, but also because I had LASIK in 2010 and have expected to have Superman 20/20 eyesight from now until I croak.