Well, that was a long and completely fruitless day

Nefarious

Re: Well, that was a long and completely fruitless day

Post by Nefarious »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:54 pm I would look at your injectors when they come out, any deposits or build up could be a sign of bad combustion and a high combustion temp.

The 300tdi hates overheating, most people fit a coolant level sensor.

These never get hot unless something is wrong or someone fits an electric fan.

Admit it though, if you turn around when the logical part of your brain says to, you would only have half as many adventures!

Hope it’s a simple fix and on your next try, if something is wrong stop by mine and we can have a bash at fixing it.

Dave!

Ta for the tips and the offer.

Coolant level sensor definitely going in this time (I meant to do it last time, but it slipped my mind :roll: )
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’ve been meaning to fit new injector nozzles to mine for 35,000 miles so I know the feeling :lol:

Dave!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

scotta wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:43 pm
Nefarious wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:37 pm Pathfinders snap in the middle
Really?
Nah, it’s just navaras that do that as the water run off from the cab and bed drains on to the chassis, rotting the chassis right in the middle. The pathfinder does rust a bit but nothing like the navara as it does have the gaps from above.

Dropping off my mower tomorrow, not half as far to go but with the weather it could be a bit of a mission.

Carl
Simon

Post by Simon »

Nefarious wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:19 pm
dinny_g wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:46 pm Next time, have you thought about flying down and then driving the Hovercraft back up the east coast... ;)

Good practice for the cold at this time if year.. :lol:

Edit - Is Drive correct ? what do you do with a Hovercraft - "Pilot" ??
Fly is the term they prefer, apparently.
Yup, if you've ever been on the Hovertravel hovercraft to the Isle of Wight then you'll know they have 'pilots' and refer to the trips as flights. Which seems accurate, considering you're not technically on the water, but rather a cushion of air.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:46 pm Next time, have you thought about flying down and then driving the Hovercraft back up the east coast... ;)
:D

Painful read; I can’t stand cold weather.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Would've been a bit of a challenge in this case - it's a racing craft, so has a range of about 12 miles. I'd've been stopping for fuel nearly as often as the Disco needed stopping for water!

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Marv

Post by Marv »

dinny_g wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:02 pm

Would've been a bit of a challenge in this case - it's a racing craft, so has a range of about 12 miles. I'd've been stopping for fuel nearly as often as the Disco needed stopping for water!

I guess running out of fuel in a hovercraft, when you're a bit away from the shoreline, would be even more fun in the winter.

I guess you cease being a pilot and temporarily become a submarine captain? 😂
Oui, je suis un motard.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Marv wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:41 pm I guess you cease being a pilot and temporarily become a submarine captain? 😂
The craft have self-buoyancy so strictly you go from being a pilot to being flotsam, subsequently (and briefly) becoming a submariner if it all goes horribly wrong beyond that ;)

One of our sea-trials will be to test how effective one of these is of emergency recovery:
Although they float, unpowered craft are really un-hydrodynamic so it'd be a really really slow trip back to shore, but for the weight of a little electric outboard, it might be a worthwhile safety measure.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

I wouldn't waste your money on an electric outboard. They're virtually useless in anything other than mill pond conditions with a lightweight boat. A few customers have them and they struggle to push an inflatable tender against a 5 knot tide.
Trying to get one to push a much heavier, much less hydrodynamic shape along would just be futile. You'd be much wiser to look at a circa 15hp 2 stroke. Not much difference in weight and far more useful.

Remember that if you do lose power in the hovercraft you're going to be fighting against the tide, sea state and wind. Any windage you have will be pushing you off course, the tide will be trying to take you in the direction it's flowing, and any sort of sea state will be slowing your progress, constantly slamming into one wave after another is a distinctly frustrating and unpleasant experience.
I don't know how fast the tide runs in the Bering Sea, but I'd imagine that the sea state will be bloody awful and that there's a constant wind blowing.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jackleg wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:18 am I wouldn't waste your money on an electric outboard. They're virtually useless in anything other than mill pond conditions with a lightweight boat. A few customers have them and they struggle to push an inflatable tender against a 5 knot tide.
Trying to get one to push a much heavier, much less hydrodynamic shape along would just be futile. You'd be much wiser to look at a circa 15hp 2 stroke. Not much difference in weight and far more useful.

Remember that if you do lose power in the hovercraft you're going to be fighting against the tide, sea state and wind. Any windage you have will be pushing you off course, the tide will be trying to take you in the direction it's flowing, and any sort of sea state will be slowing your progress, constantly slamming into one wave after another is a distinctly frustrating and unpleasant experience.
I don't know how fast the tide runs in the Bering Sea, but I'd imagine that the sea state will be bloody awful and that there's a constant wind blowing.
I've watched enough Deadliest Catch to know that the sea state is usually "fucking scary" in that area.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:59 am I've watched enough Deadliest Catch to know that the sea state is usually "fucking scary" in that area.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Commercial fishing has long been considered one of the most dangerous jobs in America. In 2006, the Bureau of Labor Statistics ranked commercial fishing as the job occupation with the highest fatality rate with 141.7 per 100,000, almost 75% higher than the fatality rate for pilots, flight engineers and loggers, the next most hazardous occupations.[10] However, Alaskan king crab fishing is considered even more dangerous than the average commercial fishing job, due to the conditions on the Bering Sea during the seasons they fish for crab. According to the pilot episode, the death rate during the main crab seasons averages out to nearly one fisherman per week, while the injury rate for crews on most crab boats is nearly 100% due to the severe weather conditions (frigid gales, rogue waves, ice formations on and around the boat) and the danger of working with such heavy machinery on a constantly rolling boat deck. Alaskan king crab fishing reported over 300 fatalities per 100,000 as of 2005,[11] with over 80% of those deaths caused by drowning or hypothermia.
I'm quite happy staying at home, if I'm honest.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Unlucky Neil. Though will make a good story for your forthcoming documentary.
Left over crest; tightens.