Buying a new car

dinny_g

Re: Buying a new car

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:04 am A car salesman friend of mine doesn't get paid much at all basic. The money's on the finance. They don't like cash buyers at all.
Is it still possible to buy a car on finance to get the discount, then immediately pay of the finance? Or are you now penalised for that?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Matty wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:15 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:04 am A car salesman friend of mine doesn't get paid much at all basic. The money's on the finance. They don't like cash buyers at all.
Is it still possible to buy a car on finance to get the discount, then immediately pay of the finance? Or are you now penalised for that?
Guess depends on the company. BMW seem to let you do that. He's at vauxhall ATM.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Right of Withdrawal - most let you keep any Discount...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:32 pm Right of Withdrawal - most let you keep any Discount...
Presumably should be listed in the t's and c's somewhere regarding the discount?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Not sure mate - never had a Finance Agreement.

However, I’d guess that the FCA wouldn’t look too kindly on a contract provision stating that if you exercise your Right if Withdrawal, you will be Invoiced the full price of the car etc...

But as I say, I think most will let you keep any discount on the sale price agreed
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

We'll see what tomorrow brings but hopefully we're at a point where we should have a relatively straightforward purchase (for the wife), save for a bit of pissiness from the 1st dealer we went to (the most local). Fingers crossed we'll be putting an order in tomorrow.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Trying to sell the merc but that’s a whole other thread :?
ste

Post by ste »

Went to look at a Golf GTI Clubsport last Saturday. 2017 car but with 480 miles on the clock. Seemed to have been bought by a speculator and was then back inside a maindealer showroom with them trying to shift it.

I say went to look at it, I'd actually been in the dealership for a safety recall for the Polo. I'd noticed the Clubsport and walked over to have a browse. Nice car. A saleswoman walked over and started telling me how fantastic they were, what it had over a normal GTI, that it was alimited edition etc. ALl jolly nice. I collected the polo and went home.

That evening at 8pm an email arrives in my inbox containing a video file. "Mr Nelson, here's the video you requested showing you the GTI Clubsport" with a salesman giving me a full tour of the thing. I can only assume he'd got my details from the service people, was astounding. Then at 8:30 pm, another email offering me a testdrive at midday the next day. The next day my mate's over showing me his V6 Exige. Salesman emails again and asks if we're coming over. So we did. I went and drove it, and it was very nice and I'm thinking, maybe i could buy this to replace the Polo, Mrs Ste would like it. We get back to the dealership and he asks if i want to talk numbers. So we sit down and he gets out his iPad.

Me: "This is going to be very simple, it says £29,999 on the windscreen, what's the real price you can sell it me for?"

Tap-tap-tap on the iPad. "Well you want ceramic coating, Gap insurance, wheel and tyre insurance, a service pack etc., etc. plus there's obviously a £149 admin fee to buy a car. So the final amount is £33k+"

"No, I want you to make the £29,999 smaller. I don't want any add-ons and i'm not paying a fee to buy the car".

"Do you want PCP?"

"No I want a number smaller than £29,999 and I'll pay that in cash"

"Well if you take PCP I can throw in the coating and the service pack etc., you can pay it off the next day and you still get to keep them"

"Fine, so lets work on that number, how much do you want for it?"

"It says £29,999".

"Yes it does, what number will allow me to buy it from you?"

"Are you going to do a deal right now? If so I can ask my boss"

"I just want you to tell me. At least start with a different number and we can negotiate if it makes you feel better"

"I'd have too ask my boss but you'd have to agree that you're going to buy the car today"

At that point, my mate leant over and just said, 'Let's go to the pub'. So we did. Since then, every day i've had an email along the line of "The Clubsport is still here, it's £29,999. Why not get in touch and I can secure it for you."

I hate the whole thing as it's so fake. Play the game, give me a number and I can come back at you. The whole, I can't do anything unless you're buying it today thing is the shittest way to try to pressurise people, I can't see how it works even on morons.
Foz

Post by Foz »

People like the free coffee and pcp with invisible APR that actually means your paying 23% interest. People seem to go for as it means you don’t have the shame of going to see your bank manager, or something like that anyway.

It’s awful!

As has been stated earlier it finance companies that happen to have a sideline in building cars.

Dealer margins on Range Rovers are spectacular so I am discovering, oh but there’s vat and blah and blah and £600 to the salesman.. fuck off
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Foz

Post by Foz »

Nefarious wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:42 pm
Wonderful :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

ste wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:41 pm Went to look at a Golf GTI Clubsport last Saturday. 2017 car but with 480 miles on the clock. Seemed to have been bought by a speculator and was then back inside a maindealer showroom with them trying to shift it.

I say went to look at it, I'd actually been in the dealership for a safety recall for the Polo. I'd noticed the Clubsport and walked over to have a browse. Nice car. A saleswoman walked over and started telling me how fantastic they were, what it had over a normal GTI, that it was alimited edition etc. ALl jolly nice. I collected the polo and went home.

That evening at 8pm an email arrives in my inbox containing a video file. "Mr Nelson, here's the video you requested showing you the GTI Clubsport" with a salesman giving me a full tour of the thing. I can only assume he'd got my details from the service people, was astounding. Then at 8:30 pm, another email offering me a testdrive at midday the next day. The next day my mate's over showing me his V6 Exige. Salesman emails again and asks if we're coming over. So we did. I went and drove it, and it was very nice and I'm thinking, maybe i could buy this to replace the Polo, Mrs Ste would like it. We get back to the dealership and he asks if i want to talk numbers. So we sit down and he gets out his iPad.

Me: "This is going to be very simple, it says £29,999 on the windscreen, what's the real price you can sell it me for?"

Tap-tap-tap on the iPad. "Well you want ceramic coating, Gap insurance, wheel and tyre insurance, a service pack etc., etc. plus there's obviously a £149 admin fee to buy a car. So the final amount is £33k+"

"No, I want you to make the £29,999 smaller. I don't want any add-ons and i'm not paying a fee to buy the car".

"Do you want PCP?"

"Well if you take PCP I can throw in the coating and the service pack etc., you can pay it off the next day and you still get to keep them"

"It says £29,999".

"I just want you to tell me. At least start with a different number and we can negotiate if it makes you feel better"

"I'd have too ask my boss but you'd have to agree that you're going to buy the car today"

At that point, my mate leant over and just said, 'Let's go to the pub'. So we did. Since then, every day i've had an email along the line of "The Clubsport is still here, it's £29,999. Why not get in touch and I can secure it for you."

I hate the whole thing as it's so fake. Play the game, give me a number and I can come back at you. The whole, I can't do anything unless you're buying it today thing is the shittest way to try to pressurise people, I can't see how it works even on morons.
Buying a car is now like trying to buy double glazing for the last 30 years or so.

"Just give me a decent price for the windows".

"Well, here's a really huge price. But let me phone my boss and see what we can do. Would you be prepared to have an advertising board outside the house for 4 weeks?".

"No. Just give me a simple price for these 4 windows".

"Well, if you definitely sign up today I can give you 35% off. But only if you buy today".

"I don't want to do that. I want to get a price from 3 or 4 different companies and compare them. Just give me a price and let me think about it".

"I've just phoned my boss and he's willing to knock off another 5%, if you take the chrome handles"

"<Facepalm>"

A few years ago my brother and sister-in-law were trying to get prices for windows. The salesman just would not give them a price like in the above example. In the end my sister-in-law literally had to get the salesman's coat and give it to him whilst beckoning him towards the door to get him to leave. These guys are programmed to follow the 'script' and they won't deviate from it, because that's what they've been told is the only way to sell.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Richard

Post by Richard »

I work in sales

I just give people the price. The actual real price. Some people don’t like that though, as they like to have a bit of a barter with you. They feel like unless you change the price, they’re getting over charged
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Simon wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:38 pm
ste wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:41 pm Went to look at a Golf GTI Clubsport last Saturday. 2017 car but with 480 miles on the clock. Seemed to have been bought by a speculator and was then back inside a maindealer showroom with them trying to shift it.

"Do you want PCP?"

"It says £29,999".

Buying a car is now like trying to buy double glazing for the last 30 years or so.

"Just give me a decent price for the windows".

"Well, here's a really huge price. But let me phone my boss and see what we can do. Would you be prepared to have an advertising board outside the house for 4 weeks?".

"No. Just give me a simple price for these 4 windows".

"Well, if you definitely sign up today I can give you 35% off. But only if you buy today".

"I don't want to do that. I want to get a price from 3 or 4 different companies and compare them. Just give me a price and let me think about it".

"I've just phoned my boss and he's willing to knock off another 5%, if you take the chrome handles"

"<Facepalm>"

A few years ago my brother and sister-in-law were trying to get prices for windows. The salesman just would not give them a price like in the above example. In the end my sister-in-law literally had to get the salesman's coat and give it to him whilst beckoning him towards the door to get him to leave. These guys are programmed to follow the 'script' and they won't deviate from it, because that's what they've been told is the only way to sell.
I had a similar experience with an Everest salesman when living in Scotland. He couldn't understand why I was laughing when he told me the cost. The cunt just wouldn't leave so in the end I firmly but politely put my hand under his arm got him to stand up from the sofa and marched him to the door. Insufferable fuckers they are. His gaffer was left with no confusion regarding the expectancy of his guy getting my order. Cocks, and very similar to car sales guys.
mik

Post by mik »

I've just remembered goinb to look at an E46 M3CS at a stealership - no test drive unless I bought it.

"I'm not going to agree to buy it without a test drive. Its a 5yr old performance car.

"We'll put right anything you notice on the test drive"

"Goodbye".
Beany

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:39 pm I've just remembered goinb to look at an E46 M3CS at a stealership - no test drive unless I bought it.

"I'm not going to agree to buy it without a test drive. Its a 5yr old performance car.

"Goodbye".
Is this a thing now? I had the same issue with a 330 coupe I looked at which was a bit of a mess (soggy engine/gearbox mounts, badly struggling rear windows, no aircon, nasty and suspicious missing paint on the sill - and the box for the recently installed clutch still in the boot...) and I was told that if I bought the car, it'd be fixed.

Some fag packet maths when getting home suggested it needed around £700 to make it reasonable before even looking at the sill - and assuming that other things weren't fooked.

Do dealers not prep cars for sale any more?
Foz

Post by Foz »

Beany wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:04 pm
mik wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:39 pm I've just remembered goinb to look at an E46 M3CS at a stealership - no test drive unless I bought it.

"Goodbye".
Is this a thing now? I had the same issue with a 330 coupe I looked at which was a bit of a mess (soggy engine/gearbox mounts, badly struggling rear windows, no aircon, nasty and suspicious missing paint on the sill - and the box for the recently installed clutch still in the boot...) and I was told that if I bought the car, it'd be fixed.

Some fag packet maths when getting home suggested it needed around £700 to make it reasonable before even looking at the sill - and assuming that other things weren't fooked.

Do dealers not prep cars for sale any more?
No, because most ‘tards don’t notice .
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

"Goodbye".
Unless it was an internet myth, apparently Renault wouldn't get anyone test drive the ClioV6 until you bought it...

Slightly OT, and on the topic of the Clio V6 and myths, the story that Renault only built it because they heard VW were making a 3L Lupo still does the rounds :lol:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Foz wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:49 pm I am looking at Range Rovers, and the perception I am getting is that they have had it so good, for so long that there is literally no effort, little knowledge and enthusiasm for the brand. The number of badly listed cars is frightening.

Sniffing about the owners forums it’s the same story, that and the less than stellar reliability stories :lol:
You need to find yourself a good dealer, but that won’t be easy. I’ve learned to find the right dealer first then do a deal on the car and travel to collect. The amount of time you spend travelling far off sets the amount of time you spend with the arse wipes in any other dealer. Also, Range Rovers can’t be built quick enough so why discount them if they’re such a strong seller at list price?

My last new car buying experiences have been positive but I was using well sought out dealers who just gave me a price. When I bought the ST just under a year ago the salesman turned his monitor round to show us his screen for the entire process so we could see everything including the dealer profit. They made exactly £1,000 on the sale, I couldn’t argue the toss over that, and they’ve been very fair but some of that might be because they’re a family run business with a single show room. They undercut the other bigger dealers by £50 too.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace