Buying a new car

Richard

Re: Buying a new car

Post by Richard »

My last two cars have been leases

My Golf I ordered online and did all the paperwork via email

My Abarth, I went to the dealership, told them what I wanted to pay, based on what I’d seen online. Took their demo for a test drive whilst the guy came up with some prices based on different available specs. Arrived back after the test drive, and picked the price which looked right.

It was exceptionally easy

“I want this car and want to pay this price” seems to work well. Especially when you can shop around online so easily first
mik

Post by mik »

You need the thread "Leasing a new car".
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

This crap is why I'm on my third lease car now. Couple of emails back and forth, fill in a form, car arrives at my house a few months later. At the end, someone comes and picks it up again. Only go to a dealer for servicing - and they even fvck that up, had to syringe nearly a pint of oil out of the engine to get the oil below max on the dipstick and to shut up the warnings.

The last car I bought before that was an ex-demo from main dealer, needed in a hurry after my last was stolen, was happy to pay full screen price, no part ex, no finance, literally here's my debit card I'll buy it. They try adding a £95 "administration" fee and it took 30 minutes of "I'll talk to my manager" theatrics to get them to agree to sell me a car at the price they're offering it at. Dealerships can go DIAF.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I’m not sure about here in the UK, but in the US, if you want you can buy your Tesla online. Then you get 3 days after it’s delivered to you to return it if you don’t like it
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

The internet played a big part in making car buying a poor experience, but supposedly benefited the general public by driving prices down.
When a good dealership only makes 2% profit on turnover, unfortunately the owners have to try and get every penny out of the customer to continue operating, which has led to micromanaging salesman and massively increasing the tedium of up selling add ons.
Before around 2003, wheel dealer pricing was split between areas, dealers has better margins I cars, have the salesman far greater freedom in negotiating and it was generally a nicer experience at a well run outfit.
By 2008, when even premium brands were struggling to retain £1k chassis profit in a £40k car, we got stuck with the experience we have today.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jimexpl wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:28 pm The internet played a big part in making car buying a poor experience, but supposedly benefited the general public by driving prices down.
When a good dealership only makes 2% profit on turnover, unfortunately the owners have to try and get every penny out of the customer to continue operating, which has led to micromanaging salesman and massively increasing the tedium of up selling add ons.
Before around 2003, wheel dealer pricing was split between areas, dealers has better margins I cars, have the salesman far greater freedom in negotiating and it was generally a nicer experience at a well run outfit.
By 2008, when even premium brands were struggling to retain £1k chassis profit in a £40k car, we got stuck with the experience we have today.
Nah, this bullshit experience has been going on for decades before the internet existed.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rev is correct...

And a lot of what Jim said isn’t... ;)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

A car salesman friend of mine doesn't get paid much at all basic. The money's on the finance. They don't like cash buyers at all.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Cars are just the bait they use to get you to pay for money.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

I commented to my local Mercedes dealership a few months ago that they were basically a finance house that did a sideline in cars. They laughed a bit, then agreed.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:45 am I commented to my local Mercedes dealership a few months ago that they were basically a finance house that did a sideline in cars. They laughed a bit, then agreed.
The finance company GM started is currently worth $10 BILLION.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:08 am
Simon wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:45 am I commented to my local Mercedes dealership a few months ago that they were basically a finance house that did a sideline in cars. They laughed a bit, then agreed.
Have they valued all the cars they've financed at the pre-depreciated value? :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:55 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:08 am
Have they valued all the cars they've financed at the pre-depreciated value? :lol:
I’d imagine that when you’re selling money at 8% apr when interest rates are historically low, the cash just starts piling up.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Foz

Post by Foz »

yes, dealer interest rates on used cars :lol:

As has been discussed it's all set up to push you into the new car route where the margins are much less but it drives volume and keeps the markets happy.

In other news a seemingly literate person is interested in coming to see the Mercedes at the weekend :shock:
scotta

Post by scotta »

Foz wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:43 am yes, dealer interest rates on used cars :lol:

As has been discussed it's all set up to push you into the new car route where the margins are much less but it drives volume and keeps the markets happy.

In other news a seemingly literate person is interested in coming to see the Mercedes at the weekend :shock:
Which leads you to the next process of fuckwittery.

Selling the Renault...

"Not sure i want another black car..." Well you saw it was black before you came to look at it.

"Definitely interested - ill call you later to arrange the money" Then radio silence and wouldn't return a call.

"Seems Expensive - I can offer you 30% less than your selling it for." No.
mik

Post by mik »

I had similar when selling my Leon.

Bloke appears with his son - who is after the Leon.

Good poke about and I take them for a run. Another poke about.

“We really like the car mate”. But your asking price is £x and we only have £0.75x “

At which point I locked the car and said “in which case you’ve wasted your time and mine”. And went back in the house.

After about 5mins they knocked on the door and made me a non-stoopid starting offer.

Amazingly - when we agreed the final price, he had much more than he had stated originally. On him - in cash. :roll:
Simon

Post by Simon »

'Old out yer 'and!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

So what have we concluded in this thread ???

Car Dealers should start negotiations with their lowest price possible

and

Private buyers should hand over the asking price without negotiation

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

To be honest, if something is priced fairly to start with then I'd rather just pay it and avoid the embarrassing nonsense.

If I thought it was too expensive for what it was I probably wouldn't bother going to look at it in the first place...
Cheers, Harry
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:44 pm So what have we concluded in this thread ???

Car Dealers should start negotiations with their lowest price possible

and

Private buyers should hand over the asking price without negotiation

:lol:
No, you’ve spectacularly missed the poi...oh, it’s Dinny. Never mind.
Middle-aged Dirtbag