Getting your back after a long time

Nathan

Re: Getting your back after a long time

Post by Nathan »

Enjoy, I can't believe how ugly the facelift is - what possible excuse could there be for it ?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Nathan wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:08 pm Enjoy, I can't believe how ugly the facelift is - what possible excuse could there be for it ?
Yes it’s an odd one. The styling is terrible, so much so the Shelbys still use the old front end, and they’ve lost some key things like the bonnet ridges so it even looks boring when driving it around. The introduction of petrol particulate filters for the EU cars has killed any engine modifications; the states don’t get petrol particulate filters so all the warranty friendly upgrades have stopped. And it’s £7-£9k more than the pre-facelift spec for spec which puts it in a different competitor bracket.

About the only good thing about them is the chassis upgrades (which are Shelby bits anyway).
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I was reading about this a while ago. Americans don’t change cars frequently, and they’re very brand loyal so if a Mustang owner wants a new car it will be a new Mustang. The manufacturers figured out recently that instead of selling one model ever 6-7 years to the same person they can double that by making the facelift look very different.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:34 pm I was reading about this a while ago. Americans don’t change cars frequently, and they’re very brand loyal so if a Mustang owner wants a new car it will be a new Mustang. The manufacturers figured out recently that instead of selling one model ever 6-7 years to the same person they can double that by making the facelift look very different.
Look at American cars from the 50s through to the 70s. They changed them every single year, ands not just a bit. A 55 Chevy Bel-Air has a different body to a 56, which has a different body to as 57, all of which are completely different to a 58. It's in their DNA.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep, I do remember Gas Monkey Garage looking for a specific year of car sometimes for that reason. Wonder why the manufacturers stopped doing the radical yearly changes in the first place though.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Cost and development time as cars went from being basically a tin shed on a pair of girders to actually having to protect passengers in a crash.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Re: Getting your back after a long timely

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:26 pm Cost and development time as cars went from being basically a tin shed on a pair of girders to actually having to protect passengers in a crash.
And meet emissions. In today’s money to have a new body on the car each year would cost circa 300 million per change per model line. So take the BMW line up, that’s a new 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7 plus an I8 and an I3. That’s 4.8 billion a year. You can face lift a car extensively without changing the underneath for 100 million...

The US also offer a longer warranty on their cars (the Mustang is 3 years standard, 5 years Powertrain, 12 years anti corrosion. The UK gets 3 years for the car and Powertrain and 12 for the anti corrosion provided the car is inspected annually by a Ford approved body shop I.e. not just the dealer) and longer finance terms, some are now over 5 years so you tend to get more people buying their cars outright although I think some form of lease deal is still very popular. US customers also want to be able to drive their car away almost immediately and very few will wait for a factory order. It’s quite a big market to fuck up your facelift in so theres probably a few arguments going on in Ford. In the mean time it’s helping keep the residuals higher on the pre facelift cars.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Nathan wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:08 pm Enjoy, I can't believe how ugly the facelift is - what possible excuse could there be for it ?
I really like the Bullitt.

Mito Man

Re: Getting your back after a long timely

Post by Mito Man »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:34 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:26 pm Cost and development time as cars went from being basically a tin shed on a pair of girders to actually having to protect passengers in a crash.
And meet emissions. In today’s money to have a new body on the car each year would cost circa 300 million per change per model line. So take the BMW line up, that’s a new 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7 plus an I8 and an I3. That’s 4.8 billion a year. You can face lift a car extensively without changing the underneath for 100 million...

The US also offer a longer warranty on their cars (the Mustang is 3 years standard, 5 years Powertrain, 12 years anti corrosion. The UK gets 3 years for the car and Powertrain and 12 for the anti corrosion provided the car is inspected annually by a Ford approved body shop I.e. not just the dealer) and longer finance terms, some are now over 5 years so you tend to get more people buying their cars outright although I think some form of lease deal is still very popular. US customers also want to be able to drive their car away almost immediately and very few will wait for a factory order. It’s quite a big market to fuck up your facelift in so theres probably a few arguments going on in Ford. In the mean time it’s helping keep the residuals higher on the pre facelift cars.
Do the US versions require more frequent oil changes hence the longer warranty?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Same service schedule.

Just checked the car, it’s full of fucking water. Back it goes :roll: