The Bullshit Software Alliance

mr_jon

Re: The Bullshit Software Alliance

Post by mr_jon »

The FACT knobheads came to our place once and my old boss absolutely destroyed them.

Microsoft do a self-assessment type audit on us every couple of years - no big deal.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mr_jon wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:49 pm The FACT knobheads came to our place once and my old boss absolutely destroyed them.
Singing happy birthday? Arseholes.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mr_jon wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:49 pm The FACT knobheads came to our place once and my old boss absolutely destroyed them.

Microsoft do a self-assessment type audit on us every couple of years - no big deal.
That's what pisses me off. Every year [vendor] has approached us in January to do the same. This year they didn't, and now the BSA are knocking on the door and I've been approached by a [vendor] Official Partner who just so happen to have a licence management solution.

Well, here's my solution: I'll be ditching as much [vendor] product as possible and I'll be giving that large project that we were talking to [vendor] about to someone else.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I was working on a project as a mechanic, it was a £30 million or so contract on our kit alone so once civil, he and transformers etc are acco7nted for its huge money.

On a night shift I had a reminder come up on the main control screen saying our 30day free licence had expired, please purchase a full copy etc.

Our Colleagues had downloaded a dodgy software copy and were using dodgy pass codes :lol:

Dave!
tim

Post by tim »

I know a chap who spent $600,000 on a swimming pool, yet wouldn't pay £2,500 for a piece of software needed to do the actual job. <shrug>
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:55 pm

That's what pisses me off. Every year [vendor] has approached us in January to do the same. This year they didn't, and now the BSA are knocking on the door and I've been approached by a [vendor] Official Partner who just so happen to have a licence management solution.

Well, here's my solution: I'll be ditching as much [vendor] product as possible and I'll be giving that large project that we were talking to [vendor] about to someone else.
I meant FAST of course.

No chance an ex-employee has tried to give you an F-you? Easy to do. But I do agree with your forward-going policy :) Unfortunately we are stuck with the M-vendor for a while yet, though the alternatives are looking increasingly good.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mr_jon wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:44 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:55 pm

I meant FAST of course.

No chance an ex-employee has tried to give you an F-you? Easy to do. But I do agree with your forward-going policy :) Unfortunately we are stuck with the M-vendor for a while yet, though the alternatives are looking increasingly good.
Most of our estate is already non-M, even the desktop environment is roughly 50% non-M. We’ve been looking at Azure for some stuff but I’ll just stick it in AWS/GCP.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:21 am so just left him in my room whilst he was midway through quoting some legislation which didn’t apply...
Why did you let him in? Sucker for a man in uniform?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Beany

Post by Beany »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:32 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:47 am Yes serious question. I've never seen any other reaction to Happy Birthday other than embarrassment / irritation on the behalf of the birthday celebrator, and the imminent arrival of a cake.
This...
That's the point.

That's the whole point.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Well I, for one, am totally and utterly lost on this one.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

unzippy wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:42 am
Mito Man wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:21 am so just left him in my room whilst he was midway through quoting some legislation which didn’t apply...
Why did you let him in? Sucker for a man in uniform?
No, pretty much my whole floor had the doors open at first as we would just go into each other’s room. Although he must have followed a random student in through the main entrance. He let himself in. There was no sucking.
How about not having a sig at all?
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Beany wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:26 pm
DaveE wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:30 am

And what is this fresh madness?
Not sure if serious question, but Happy Birthday is a copyrighted work - so technically you're performing it without consent etc.
Pretty sure it was recently put into public domain because it was a rip off of a public domain tune.
BASS IN THE PLACE...LONDON.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Not that public domain, this public domain.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

tim wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:22 pm I know a chap who spent $600,000 on a swimming pool, yet wouldn't pay £2,500 for a piece of software needed to do the actual job. <shrug>
Theres a reason why they have that swimming pool.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Broccers wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:00 pm
tim wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:22 pm I know a chap who spent $600,000 on a swimming pool, yet wouldn't pay £2,500 for a piece of software needed to do the actual job. <shrug>
Theres a reason why they have that swimming pool.
They hate other people but love swimming?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Wealth spent is a choice after you've acquired it which involves being proper on top of every penny :D
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Broccers wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:21 pm Wealth spent is a choice after you've acquired it which involves being proper on top of every penny :D
But also the swimming thing, yeah?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:41 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:21 pm Wealth spent is a choice after you've acquired it which involves being proper on top of every penny :D
But also the swimming thing, yeah?
Yes the swimming thing too whatever that is :D :D
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

The World According To Broccers :D
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:23 pm The World According To Broccers :D
He should publish that, but obviously not until 2020.
Middle-aged Dirtbag