Education when old

ste

Re: Education when old

Post by ste »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:57 pmThe ones with MBA’s seem to go a lot further in the company.
:lol:

MBA, the alternative to having a fucking clue about what you’re doing.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Might save time here to just list the quals you do have any time for mate :lol:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

ste wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:24 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:57 pmThe ones with MBA’s seem to go a lot further in the company.

MBA = Means Bugger All. One of the people I work with said it was purely a CVthibg to get him up the ladder, nothing more.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I think people are getting confused regarding what qualifications are actually for. It's about being employable, or more precisely, making sure you've got what the other guy has. It's not about being subject matter experts - that only comes with experience.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I just misread this title as Erection when old.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Late to the thread; congrats JL 8-)

& Far Side :lol:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:40 pm I just misread this title as Erection when old.
http://forums.ov9.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5560

😂
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I've been a contractor since leaving uni so have always had to motivate (and pay for) myself to get certifications. It's nice to learn new stuff but the primary driver is just to give me the edge over someone else applying for the same position, or to get me into a better position than the one I'm in. Usual drill is to buy the book, read it three times, watch a few videos then go do the exam. I've actually become more receptive to learning the older I've got.

My Prince2 Practitioner runs out in two years. I gather the new one only lasts for three years now instead of the previous five.
ste

Post by ste »

That’s only if you want or ‘need’ to stay certificated. You can still call yourself an Prince 2 Practitioner, you just can’t say you’re certificated.

Having been responsible for delivering £100M Government P2 projects and MoD DV P2 projects I can say I’ve never been asked to prove certification.

Plus, has any employer in the last 5+ years wanted P2? It’s become a way of identifying high-inertia waterfall projects that will never deliver.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

ste wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:07 am That’s only if you want or ‘need’ to stay certificated. You can still call yourself an Prince 2 Practitioner, you just can’t say you’re certificated.

Having been responsible for delivering £100M Government P2 projects and MoD DV P2 projects I can say I’ve never been asked to prove certification.
I’ll probably renew it as it’s easier to do that rather than have to sit both F and P in the future.

I’ve never been asked to prove any certifications either, now you mention it. Or school/uni stuff..
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

240PP wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:33 pmIt's nice to learn new stuff but the primary driver is just to give me the edge over someone else applying for the same position, or to get me into a better position than the one I'm in.
This doesn't just apply to contractors though, but rather anyone who would like a new / better job at some point. Not sure why people are so anti it.
ste

Post by ste »

Not anti-it at all. I worked in edumacation for years, specifically qualifications. It's just that lots of quals are there for nothing more than to make the qualification provider lots of money.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Agreed mate but if the guy going for the same job had got xyz and you haven't......that's my thinking anyway. Or rather was as I'm not studying EVER AGAIN. 8-)
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Orange Cola wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:40 pm
ste wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:24 pm

MBA = Means Bugger All. One of the people I work with said it was purely a CVthibg to get him up the ladder, nothing more.
I must take issue with this. MBAs are extremely useful.

If an individual (a) has an MBA; and (b) feels the need to ensure this fact is widely known, it saves an awful lot of time interacting, evaluating and considering because it allows them to be filed under "thundercunt" without delay. It's similar to seeing the words "Goldman Sachs" on a CV - it's like advance warning of imminent weapon-grade cockery.

There are exceptions to these rules, obv, but IME these are few and far between.

Oh, and congrats and ting, JL. I'm sure you will find your new badge very helpful. :D