Education when old

JLv3.0

Education when old

Post by JLv3.0 »

About a million years ago (2013 to be precise!) I thought it might be an idea to do the PMP (Project Management Professonial) course. This got shelved when I got what-was-then my new job in 2014, and I half-heartedly studied for it in 2016, took the exam and promptly didn't pass it.

Given the time off I've just had, I thought it would be a good idea to give it another crack, and since August have been doing pretty much just that (albeit with some time out for weekends and trips etc).

Fuckinell. Who on here has tried to force knowledge into our ageing brains these days?! It's been absofuckinglutely miserable - like trying to cram a big hefty fat chick into a pair of leggings. Every time one bit of knowledge got crammed in, it would displace another bit.

Really not nice to learn how resistant we get to anything new as we get old.

Anyway - exam tomorrow - wish me luck, even if you don't mean it.
Simon

Re: Education when old

Post by Simon »

Ongoing training is part of my job. Our platform is constantly evolving, we're releasing new products and we're buying up smaller companies. End result is maybe a 15% of my time just doing training, internal certifications etc etc. It's a ballache as you say.

I've tried to remind people that if I want to put something new in my brain then someone else has to leave to make room for it, but they don't seem to listen.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Maybe their ability to listen has been similarly displaced?
ste

Post by ste »

I was about to say, don't do PMP it's shit but it sounds like I'm too late. Assume you're doing Practitioner? If so just be pleased that it's now just changed to multiple choice. When I did it it was a closed book written exam. I could hardly write fast enough to cover all the content and by the end of the time my hand was locked into a full Beadle claw.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

WAY too late. It's pretty much the only recognised PM course that is worth a fuck out here so my hands are tied.

Practitioner? It's not that mate, that's an Agile cert isn't it? This is PMI-PMP rather than PMI-ACP.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I just can't do the short-term study thing. It's not too bad if I'm "learning while doing" it's the study/cramming thing that gets me. I just don't have the attention span for it.

And I'll wish you good luck JL, seems these others cuts clearly want you to fail.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Thank you Matty. Yes, their good wishes were certainly conspicuous by their absence, weren't they. Good to know.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s probably just not very interesting to be fair. I can read something boring 10 times over and not remember any of it or I can study something I actually give a toss about and take it up like a big hefty fat chick showing chicken wings down her throat.

Still think my most impressive retard ability had to be studying 10 years of French in school and not learning a single fucking thing beyond the swear words.
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Good luck becoming a qualified PIMP!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I don't mind CPD because I choose what I do, it's relevant to my everyday work (if I chose well) and it's only an hour, or maximum half a day, at a time. While it's never examined, I always liked exams anyway so wouldn't object to that at the end but it would probably be a bit pointless after an hour of learning.

Anyway, good luck. Your post reminds me of this old Far Side cartoon which comes to mind way too regularly these days:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Good luck, you miserable old imbecile.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
ste

Post by ste »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:31 pm WAY too late. It's pretty much the only recognised PM course that is worth a fuck out here so my hands are tied.

Practitioner? It's not that mate, that's an Agile cert isn't it? This is PMI-PMP rather than PMI-ACP.
Hangabout, I've just realised you're doing PMI. You initially said PMP. I assumed you meant APMP, ie the APM course not the PMI one. There are 2 separate bodies that hate each other. APM have now managed to get accredited so that you can become a 'Chartered Project Manager' :lol:

I've never really been a PM. My last role in my last job I sat in a function where everyone had to have APMP Pracitioner for some reason. So they sent me on that course and also the APM-Agile one. Both toss. In a previous role I had to have Prince 2 Practitioner too so got sent on that. Also toss.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

PMI is the institution Ste, PMP is the course.

Jobbo - trust me that has been at the forefront of what remains of my mind for the last few months.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:23 pm Good luck, you miserable old imbecile.
Thank you, I think :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I was never much of an academic learner, I did quite well at school but as soon as I wasn't forced to be there I checked out and got a job.

I couldn't imagine trying to study and prep for an exam now, my missus is at uni and the whole thing seems a bit shit :lol:.

Good luck JL :).
An absolute unit
scotta

Post by scotta »

Good luck you cvnty old cvnt with added miserableness. Please remember to shower prior to leaving the house.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

That would be two things to do so I'm not promising anything :lol: - cheers both :D
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:23 pm Far Side cartoon
OK so I just lost 30 minutes of my day looking at these again. :lol:

ETA: oh and good luck, JL!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:08 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:23 pm Far Side cartoon
OK so I just lost 30 minutes of my day looking at these again. :lol:

ETA: oh and good luck, JL!
Another particular favourite:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Good luck JL! I did an MSc a couple of years ago and found it pretty easy TBH. Studying when 18-21 is WAY harder than in your mid-30s... far less distractions now! :lol:

I'm not going to comment on my experience of people with APM qualifications as given the calibre of our esteemed colleague JL it must not have been a representative sample.;)