Education when old

JLv3.0

Re: Education when old

Post by JLv3.0 »

Thank you mate, you're right, I am way better :D

My MSc was much easier than this course as it was all coursework. This is an exam testing me on the most boring shit I've ever known hence the lack of ability to absorb it properly.

Time will tell 👍🏼
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

My problem is that because I’m good at lots of stuff because I’ve practised for years, I hate going back to basics. I want to be at expert level within 5 minutes or I get frustrated. But I also definitely find it harder to pick up new concepts though.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ste

Post by ste »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 pm PMI is the institution Ste, PMP is the course
I know. I said that I saw PMP and assumed you were doing the APM PMP not the PMI PMP. I did APM PMP or as it's more commonly known in the UK A-PMP.

They're both utterly shit if that helps? :lol:
ste

Post by ste »

...plus as APM seem to have won the legal battle between them and PMI to be able to grant Chartered status, PMI will probably become less relevant.

Enjoy the exam though and good luck. 8-)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

ste wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:29 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 pm PMI is the institution Ste, PMP is the course
I know. I said that I saw PMP and assumed you were doing the APM PMP not the PMI PMP. I did APM PMP or as it's more commonly known in the UK A-PMP.

They're both utterly shit if that helps? :lol:
It does NOT.

But cheers anyway 😂
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:15 pm My problem is that because I’m good at lots of stuff because I’ve practised for years, I hate going back to basics. I want to be at expert level within 5 minutes or I get frustrated. But I also definitely find it harder to pick up new concepts though.
This, massively. And this fucking course involves unlearning what I know to try and memorise their dipshit abstract concepts.
evostick

Post by evostick »

What's the fucking point?. Dementia is probably just around the corner anyway.

Good luck btw JL :!:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Tbh the fear set in a long time back. All the supporters of PMI seem to be called Bashar, Kumar, Dikshit or Dilbag.

Awaiting ZedLeg in 3, 2, 1.....
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Best of luck.

Completely agree about capacity to retain information, I’m still not quite sure how I was able to pass the year studying the French jurisdiction in its native tongue.

Have been mulling over becoming dual qualified for a while, but normally talk myself out of it on the basis that (I) it seems like hard work, and (ii) I don’t know if I can be fucked.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Maurice wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:14 pm Completely agree about capacity to retain information, I’m still not quite sure how I was able to pass the year studying the French jurisdiction in its native tongue..
Good lawd. Why?
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

European law degree. 1 year studying in a jurisdiction outside of your own was mandatory.

Made the mistake of choosing a degree which meant the year abroad actually counted toward my final degree mark.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:01 pm About a million years ago (2013 to be precise!) I thought it might be an idea to do the PMP (Project Management Professonial) course. This got shelved when I got what-was-then my new job in 2014, and I half-heartedly studied for it in 2016, took the exam and promptly didn't pass it.

Given the time off I've just had, I thought it would be a good idea to give it another crack, and since August have been doing pretty much just that (albeit with some time out for weekends and trips etc).

Fuckinell. Who on here has tried to force knowledge into our ageing brains these days?! It's been absofuckinglutely miserable - like trying to cram a big hefty fat chick into a pair of leggings. Every time one bit of knowledge got crammed in, it would displace another bit.

Really not nice to learn how resistant we get to anything new as we get old.

Anyway - exam tomorrow - wish me luck, even if you don't mean it.
Cheers,

Ian
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Passed 👍🏼 - actually did pretty well, Above Target in four areas and Target in one. Only needed Target to pass each area so quite pleased. And relieved!! That I don't have to do it again and that I'm only a partial moron rather than a total one.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:08 am Passed 👍🏼 - actually did pretty well, Above Target in four areas and Target in one. Only needed Target to pass each area so quite pleased. And relieved!! That I don't have to do it again and that I'm only a partial moron rather than a total one.
you tried too hard - what a waste of time over-performing in 4 areas....

😃 well done though, I can’t even imagine trying to study for anything these days!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Thanks Rich :D

Honestly I don't intend to do one more course from now on. That's enough.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:27 am Thanks Rich :D

Honestly I don't intend to do one more course from now on. That's enough.
Brain : hey, well done James, that wasn’t so bad after all
James : fuck off
Brain : you can do more
James : I’m done, fuck off
Brain : it was actually interesting and fulfilling
James : I’m getting drunk and killing you off
Brain : ok, whatever you say
James : when did I book a class on Chilean throat singing and coding?
Brain : check mate feeble husk

Dave!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Unerringly accurate :lol:
scotta

Post by scotta »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:08 am Passed 👍🏼 - actually did pretty well, Above Target in four areas and Target in one. Only needed Target to pass each area so quite pleased. And relieved!! That I don't have to do it again and that I'm only a partial moron rather than a total one.
Well done. As a present I've arranged Beany to come visit and be your slave for a week. Hope this is ok as ive already dispatched the crate.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:01 pm About a million years ago (2013 to be precise!) I thought it might be an idea to do the PMP (Project Management Professonial) course. This got shelved when I got what-was-then my new job in 2014, and I half-heartedly studied for it in 2016, took the exam and promptly didn't pass it.

Given the time off I've just had, I thought it would be a good idea to give it another crack, and since August have been doing pretty much just that (albeit with some time out for weekends and trips etc).

Fuckinell. Who on here has tried to force knowledge into our ageing brains these days?! It's been absofuckinglutely miserable - like trying to cram a big hefty fat chick into a pair of leggings. Every time one bit of knowledge got crammed in, it would displace another bit.

Really not nice to learn how resistant we get to anything new as we get old.

Anyway - exam tomorrow - wish me luck, even if you don't mean it.
This has been me my entire life...
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Congrats JL 8-)

I don’t get the project management courses, a few people I work with have done them and it’s only been as a stepping stone up the ladder, so to speak. The ones with MBA’s seem to go a lot further in the company.

I couldn’t imagine formally learning something again, but the type of learning I’m receptive to is very different. I spend most of my days learning and/or problem solving but it’s about shit that there isn’t a book on to read anyway, but that seems to stick in my mind really well. Especially when it saves the company a few hundred grand each month. Sitting down in a class room reading text books and doing exams can get tae fuck!
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace