IT Stupid Question of the Week

NotoriousREV

Re: IT Stupid Question of the Week

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m currently on site discussing building our next new contact centre and there’s talk from the CEO of cutting corners on the network.

“Let me explain how VOIP works and why that matters for a call centre,,,”
Middle-aged Dirtbag
scotta

Post by scotta »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:55 pm I’m currently on site discussing building our next new contact centre and there’s talk from the CEO of cutting corners on the network.

Ive been in some of our old call centres when shit stopped working. Its not pleasant to see hundreds of folk standing doing nothing cos your underfunded legacy platform has fallen over...yet again.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Broccers says you're DIW.

HTH.

😂
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

scotta wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:00 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:55 pm I’m currently on site discussing building our next new contact centre and there’s talk from the CEO of cutting corners on the network.

Ive been in some of our old call centres when shit stopped working. Its not pleasant to see hundreds of folk standing doing nothing cos your underfunded legacy platform has fallen over...yet again.
Ours is basically Asterisk hosted on AWS with multi-vendor SIP trunks. No more 25 year old PBX for us!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'm never sure if people are just making stuff like that up 😂

'Yeah it's yer basic flugelbinder backbone with a combined garglethump bamm-pie-roll front end'

🤷‍♀️
scotta

Post by scotta »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:18 pm
scotta wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Ours is basically Asterisk hosted on AWS with multi-vendor SIP trunks. No more 25 year old PBX for us!
It was a mainframe emulator gateway system we looked after that that gave access to credit checking agencys for credit cards. We eventually migrated them to a direct ip vpn solution and decommissioned the gateway servers.
Simon

Post by Simon »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:39 pm I'm never sure if people are just making stuff like that up 😂

'Yeah it's yer basic flugelbinder backbone with a combined garglethump bamm-pie-roll front end'

🤷‍♀️
You really don't want a bamm-pie-roll front end. Amateur.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:39 pm I'm never sure if people are just making stuff like that up 😂

🤷‍♀️
There are approximately 1000% too few acronyms in there.

I know VOIP means voice over internet protocol (I think) but anything further than that is totally unfathomable to me.
Last edited by GG. on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Abbreviations, not acronyms.

* grinds teeth *

;)
GG.

Post by GG. »

I thought that as I was typing it but then I thought how do you pronounce VOIP? It is 'voyp' or do people say vee oh eye pee? :lol:

Anyway I've no idea why Rev needs All Wheel Steer on his Side Impact Protection Peanut Butter Crossover.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Let's just agree that VOIP isn't an acronym and we'll move past it. Back to shit wheels on Porsches :D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:12 am Or me when I used to forcefully laugh through my nostrils when told I had 12 months to design, build and hand over an operating hotel :D
I had a similar response when told we were to deliver a fully functioning Captive Finance Company from Scratch in 14 months including finding premises, staff, Office and IT hardware and systems, then defining all business processes, training staff, Developing, configuring and testing all system then converting the existing portfolio. All while writing new business each day.

We still managed to do it - it's amazing what you can achieve when you put your mind to it... ;) :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:45 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:12 am Or me when I used to forcefully laugh through my nostrils when told I had 12 months to design, build and hand over an operating hotel :D
I had a similar response when told we were to deliver a fully functioning Captive Finance Company from Scratch in 14 months including finding premises, staff, Office and IT hardware and systems, then defining all business processes, training staff, Developing, configuring and testing all system then converting the existing portfolio. All while writing new business each day.

We still managed to do it - it's amazing what you can achieve when you put your mind to it... ;) :lol:
We built a complete 3 floor office fit out from a shell in 5 months from getting possession.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:20 pm

We built a complete 3 floor office fit out from a shell in 5 months from getting possession.
You two need to explain to JL how he could build a hotel in 12 months if he just put aside all that negative attitude.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'm all ears.

And cock 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:25 pm I'm all ears.

And cock 8-)
Please pass the brain bleach. :(
Beany

Post by Beany »

Closest I've done to that is to rebuild an entire office (admittedly, only three people :lol: ) in a portakabin within 48hrs of their existing office burning down. Yes Sharon *that* was why we told you to always take a backup disk home, and never skip doing it ;)

I tried the 'this is how voip thing' works on my CEO and MD, when demanding we replace our datacentre switches (100mb, uncontactable remotely or locally :/ ) and get a proper network engineer to spec, install and do change management on it.

But that was too expensive so we just got Dell to throw in some boggo 48port switches with no VLANs or nothing.

I'm sure the carrier class TDM switch that pushes 500 concurrent calls between TDM and SIP isn't remotely impacted by that, and isn't why I have to reset line cards most nights. :roll:

Currently replacing disks in our storage box and our (near ten year old) main database server. At least someone (before my time, when we had technical staff that wasn't comprised of 'just me') config'd the DB server to automagically configure new disks as hot spares, that's saved a lot of buggering about....
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

And cock 8-)
Who doesn’t enjoy aural sex?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:20 pm

5 months?! I don’t think Ive ever had 5 months to do a fit out! Luxury i tells thee!!!
Simon

Post by Simon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:36 pm

And cock 8-)
Who doesn’t enjoy aural sex?
The artist formerly known as _Who_