Being old school

PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Re: Being old school

Post by PaulJ »

I never thought about this, but as my cars are always manual, my watches mechanical, I often use cash to buy stuff and I don't even carry my mobile unless I know I'll be making a call... I might just be labelled old school. :oops:
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

You've been (old) schooled by Broccers😎
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Oldscho0wn3d 8-)
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I'm still a big cash user and hardly use cards unless buying online. Reason being if I used my card for every purchase then my bank statement would be stupidly long every month and it would make checking it for fraudulent transactions* a nightmare. Take cash from cash machine, when I've run out go and get more.

* I don't even do this so it's all a bit pointless.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I rarely carry cash anymore, I'll take cash if I'm going to a pub because I feel like a dick paying by card at a busy bar but otherwise I never have it.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:24 pm I rarely carry cash anymore, I'll take cash if I'm going to a pub because I feel like a dick paying by card at a busy bar but otherwise I never have it.
You feel like a dick tapping a card on a machine. Right.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

JLv3.0 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:22 pm Oldscho0wn3d 8-)
Like.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:24 pm I rarely carry cash anymore, I'll take cash if I'm going to a pub because I feel like a dick paying by card at a busy bar but otherwise I never have it.
#Metoo. And then when I go to Cornwall to visit the in-laws, I consistently get caught out as so many places down there only take cash :oops:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don’t bother with cash, said it before but since contactless has been around my ‘wallet’ merely consists of 2 cards and whatever other crap I attain through the day. Don’t understand people who still carry a 2 inch thick bulky wallet and take an age to find anything in it.
Had quite a few grand stashed in my bedroom for years which I handed over to my mechanic 2 weeks ago just because it’s quicker than queuing to hand it in at the bank, and heaven forbid trying to actually spend some £50 notes at a shop without having to get managers involved :roll:
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:31 pm
Even with contactless it's usually quicker and less hassle for the bar staff to pay with cash than card.
An absolute unit
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:42 pm
Even with contactless it's usually quicker and less hassle for the bar staff to pay with cash than card.
I feel like we need an explanation here Zed....
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Fuck 'em. The non-unionised friggers are there to do my bidding. I'm not there to make their lives easier :lol: :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

speedingfine wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Ok so the bar is busy, if you pay by card chances are there's only 1 card machine behind the bar so you'll probably have to wait for it. Then the person has to check the amount, type it in to the machine and wait for the authorisation before they can finish the sale and move on. Other option is I give them the money for my drinks and we both go on our way.

This is clearly just me being odd, but that's surely not a surprise to anyone at this point :lol:
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Is it Fuck unless you have 11 pounds 37p in change. Have you been for a meal with me.?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I've another one...

Bar staff who can only take one drink order at a time...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:22 pm I've another one...

Bar staff who can only take one drink order at a time...
That's just retarded serving staff rather than anything 'the world these days'. What should we choose to post up that we dislike next?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Retarded people. They seem more and more common.
How about not having a sig at all?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Ok so the bar is busy, if you pay by card chances are there's only 1 card machine behind the bar so you'll probably have to wait for it. Then the person has to check the amount, type it in to the machine and wait for the authorisation before they can finish the sale and move on. Other option is I give them the money for my drinks and we both go on our way.
That really doesn't take a long time. And which bars only have one card machine? They have the same amout of card machines as they do tills.

When you give the bartender the correct amount of cash that you definitely always have, does he bother to count it or do you look like the trustworthy sort?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:06 pm

This is clearly just me being odd, but that's surely not a surprise to anyone at this point :lol:
Round here the most hipstery ones are going cashless, as they believe it's much quicker and also saves them having any cash on the premises, or having to cash up.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

When you give the bartender the correct amount of cash that you definitely always have, does he bother to count it or do you look like the trustworthy sort?
:lol: