Vegans

ste

Re: Vegans

Post by ste »

More like 7hrs according to my Garmin. It may well be wrong though. *shrug*
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We fall into the flexitarian category. I don't seek out vegan food specifically, but wouldn't reject it either. We have at least two or three vegetarian dinners a week, and lunch is almost always vegetarian unless there's leftovers.

I agree with Ste's point on the food industry, so what meat and fish we do buy is high welfare, and locally (not supermarket) sourced. The extra cost is also one reason we eat less of it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:35 pm We fall into the flexitarian category. I don't seek out vegan food specifically, but wouldn't reject it either. We have at least two or three vegetarian dinners a week, and lunch is almost always vegetarian unless there's leftovers.

I agree with Ste's point on the food industry, so what meat and fish we do buy is high welfare, and locally (not supermarket) sourced. The extra cost is also one reason we eat less of it.
Why does everyone feel the need to label how they eat? To me what you've described is a normal diet.

At some point society seems to have assumed that normal must mean eating meat at least once a day. It's this ridiculous notion that's got us to the point where we're eating far more meat than we need to, which in turn leads to the mass production of meat to keep up with demand, which is where welfare issues start to become a real problem.

Same for any mass food production process as well I imagine, even the supposedly tree-hugger friendly stuff.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That was meant tongue in cheek. It is one of those new fangled terms that, as you point out, mean nothing.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I can enter a room with 100 people and find all the people with different dietary requirements within a few minutes as they all seem to follow the format of introducing themselves, then adding that they’re vegetarian or vegan. It’s all very similar to when you teach young children a new language and they start off by saying hi, their name and age. Most odd.
How about not having a sig at all?
evostick

Post by evostick »

This all seems very complicated.

The mrs just asks me what I want for dinner that day. Almost immediately an image of some particular foodstuff appears before my eyes. I then describe the image to her and she later attempts to make my dream come true.

It's usually Rib-eye and chips tbh. I hope that haven't offended anyone.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:50 pm
Same for any mass food production process as well I imagine, even the supposedly tree-hugger friendly stuff.
Yeah, quite a lot of the processed veggie/vegan food has palm oil in it and that's an actual horror show.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

evostick wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:01 pm This all seems very complicated.

The mrs just asks me what I want for dinner that day. Almost immediately an image of some particular foodstuff appears before my eyes. I then describe the image to her and she later attempts to make my dream come true.

It's usually Rib-eye and chips tbh. I hope that haven't offended anyone.
Whoever it was that hates rib eye will be in to call you a cunt any second now.
An absolute unit
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Most of my meals are vegetarian as my wife and daughter are veg and i am frankly too lazy to cook twice. I only came across the term "flexitarian" today in a spoof article so I wasn't even sure it wasn't a total piss-take. :)

I am with whoever it was a few pages back who said do what you want, don't force it on me. I fear it may be JL? :o
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, I saw loads of palm oil plantations in Madagascar and Sri Lanka and huge areas being deforested to make more.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m guessing all these fields which dominate the British countryside once used to be woodlands too... Or do we not give a shit about and look at them as rosy lush countryside as the woodlands were plundered hundreds of years ago?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:54 pm That was meant tongue in cheek. It is one of those new fangled terms that, as you point out, mean nothing.
Yeah, mine was a more general rant tbh - not aimed at anyone specific. :)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:20 pm I’m guessing all these fields which dominate the British countryside once used to be woodlands too... Or do we not give a shit about and look at them as rosy lush countryside as the woodlands were plundered hundreds of years ago?
Quite.

Do as we say, not as we did a bloody long time ago.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:27 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:20 pm I’m guessing all these fields which dominate the British countryside once used to be woodlands too... Or do we not give a shit about and look at them as rosy lush countryside as the woodlands were plundered hundreds of years ago?
Quite.

Bullshit, I think it's prefectly ok to not feel great about contributing towards the growth of an industry that's causing violence towards people and animals and deforesting huge areas of rain forest.

I wasn't going to rise to the boys bait but here we are.
An absolute unit
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:30 pm
Quite.

Bullshit, I think it's prefectly ok to not feel great about contributing towards the growth of an industry that's causing violence towards people and animals and deforesting huge areas of rain forest.

Aren’t you all saying the same thing?
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

What about non-leather shoes?

Are they tastier now than in the past?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I think our awareness of the issue has moved on a little from the times when we thought we’d fall off the edge if we sailed west though...
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

IanF wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:38 pm

Quite.

I read what they were saying as it's hypocritical to be against palm oil as the same thing happened here a couple of hundred years ago. I'll take it back if I misinterpreted what Swerv was saying though.
An absolute unit
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:41 pm
IanF wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:38 pm

I read what they were saying as it's hypocritical to be against palm oil as the same thing happened here a couple of hundred years ago. I'll take it back if I misinterpreted what Swerv was saying though.
Come on Zed, just admit it; you just agreed with Mito! 😉
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Deforestation will happen regardless though, if it’s not for palm oil it will be something else, and violence towards people and animals is all par for the course in third world countries so nothing new there.

I’m not going to act like I’m morally better than the next person because I actively avoid palm, soy or vanilla or even think I feel like I’m helping the earth because I buy my weekly shop from a farm shop when my modern western lifestyle is probably fucking the earth over anyway. I’m not prepared to live off grid in a shed and crap in a composting bucket just yet either.