Vegans

Broccers

Re: Vegans

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:25 am
Broccers wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:57 pm Having meat and actually enjoying it maybe
That’s quite a stretch, drunk broccers is the most entertaining broccers :lol:.
Takes a little more than 3 pints. I'm sorry my meat / penis joke wasn't funny enough. I'll sack myself forthwith.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Broccers wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:10 am
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:25 am
Broccers wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:57 pm Having meat and actually enjoying it maybe
That’s quite a stretch, drunk broccers is the most entertaining broccers :lol:.
Takes a little more than 3 pints. I'm sorry my meat / penis joke wasn't funny enough. I'll sack myself forthwith.
I enjoyed it tbf.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

ste wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:01 pm

I eat vegan most of the time FWIW. I don't think since doing so it's chnaged my sense of humour particulalry. :lol:
What do you eat for breakfast if vegan most of the time ?

Dairy free milk alternatives are vile and it is not sustainable loading up on bread.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Cornflakes and oat milk is delicious.

Simon Howies has just started doing veggie square sausage, so square sausage and tattie scone rolls are back on the menu 8-) .
An absolute unit
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I grew up eating Quorn, I'm trying to avoid eating more processed foods and seed oils.

When I ask questions from other vegetarians / vegans, I always get evangelical responses from recent converts.

Given time, I wonder how many of them realise that they are hungry all the time and possibly undernourished ?

I say this as someone who has been vegetarian since age 5.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think you might be projecting a little Nathan.

I was Vegetarian for ten years from my early teens into my twenties. I then had a diet that was comparable to most meat eaters for about ten years and over the last couple of years I've been gradually changing my diet to the point that I barely eat any animal products at all.

I was at my fittest when I was vegetarian and I feel great now.
An absolute unit
ste

Post by ste »

Nathan wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:13 am What do you eat for breakfast if vegan most of the time ?

Dairy free milk alternatives are vile and it is not sustainable loading up on bread.
I prefer lots of the milk alternatives. We discussed it in here recently, but Oatly Barista is great stuff. I love almond milk and coconut is good in the right use too.

I've never been a large breakfast eater, I have to actively force myself to eat anything. I tend to eat fruit or marmite or peanut butter on toast. I was careful to say I'm not vegan, as I'm not and don't really have an aim to be. We keep chickens and I eat their eggs. I've heard all the arguments about how it's exploting the animal but I can't get on board with it. I agree the egg industry is horrific and I don't eat eggs from anywhere other than our garden. So this morning I had an omlette with chillis, spring onion and red pepper.

I don't agree on the always hungry thing. You just need to eat smarter. I will often do an additional 10,000 calories of energy in a single day through exercise and manage to replenish that. In fact since I started doing this I put on weight, but I think that's due to having a period of inactivity on the bike and not running and also struggling with the switch over and initially eating more processed food than I usually do. You could easily be a vegan and live off very unhealthy processed food. In fact there seems to be a rapidly growing industry of vegan junk food restaurants popping up everywhere.

It's not for everyone, but I'm liking it. I'm not attempting to take some moral high ground but don't agree with the majority of the food industry's way of conducting business and can see the correlation between the western diseases that will kill most of us off and the diets we eat.

I'm also a hypocrite and when weak (usually drunk) will grab a burger or something.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

ste wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:55 am
I'm also a hypocrite and when weak (usually drunk) will grab a burger or something.
The only time I've nearly eaten meat recently was a because of a hot dog. I've cooked steaks and bacon for my missus and not been tempted but a couple of beers and a hot dog is apparently my weak spot :lol:.
An absolute unit
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:48 am I think you might be projecting a little Nathan.
No mate, I mean it. Without a bit of meat or eggs it's hard to consume protein in sufficient quantities, let alone it being the right sort.

Ste - fair enough you keep it balanced, I don't eat eggs (I don't like the smell/taste and only accept them in in cakes) or fish.

In recent years I've stopped eating breakfast because I realise (for me) it was too carby and left me ravenous before noon.
Last edited by Nathan on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ste

Post by ste »

I woke up utterly broken at car show at Goodwood in the summer. I'd resisted all the food that we'd barbecued the night before but in my hungover / still drunken state when sat in the old watchtower cafe and Nic Dale offered me a bacon sandwich it felt like the only thing that could save my life. :lol:
ste

Post by ste »

Nathan wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:09 am No mate, I mean it. Without a bit of meat or eggs it's hard to consume protein in sufficient quantities, let alone it being the right sort.
I don't think that's true. You just need to look further afield. If you eat a 'normal' western diet and just remove the meat then you're fucked, but if you eat completely differently basing your meals around legumes, edamame, spelt, grains, chia, nuts etc then you get all the protein you need. You can then obviously easily chuck in the processed gluten stuff like Seitan etc too not to mention tofu etc.

Also, we need less than is commonly realised, even if you're training and trying to build muscle.

Seitan is amazing stuff, even if you're a devout carnivore you owe it to yourself to seek some out and try it. A friend of mine has set up a business for his Mrs, it's a vegan kebab van - a hispster Citroen H van that he takes to festivals and sells Seitan kebabs from. Honestly they're better than any meat-based kebab I've ever tasted.

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I've recently started to experiment with my own seitan, it's a bit of a faff but it's been fun trying to figure out how to flavour it for different things.

It's much easier than it used to be to get as much protein as you need without eating meat.
An absolute unit
ste

Post by ste »

Back to the original point of this thread. It has nothing to do with veganism and is all about just not being an unprofessional prick in the work place. Yes social media's filter bubble has made it a black and white argument about vegans being snowflakes but the reality is that a senior employee of a high-profile customer focused company acted in an innapropriate way.

Say for instance you ran a printing company in Sheffield and a customer sent you a professional email discusisng some future work. If you then wrote back saying rather than consider that work maybe you could investigate killing them you could probably expect a similar focus on how you're possibly not engaging with customers in an appropriate way.
mik

Post by mik »

ste wrote: Seitan is amazing stuff, even if you're a devout carnivore you owe it to yourself to seek some out and try it.
Seitan worshipper! :o

(I had never heard of it tbh).

I eat meat, and i cant currently see how i could give up fresh fish or chicken. But some of my favourite curries are veggie.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:48 am I think you might be projecting a little Nathan.

I was Vegetarian for ten years from my early teens into my twenties. I then had a diet that was comparable to most meat eaters for about ten years and over the last couple of years I've been gradually changing my diet to the point that I barely eat any animal products at all.

i can confirm I was fittest from my early teens into my twenties too.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ste wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:37 am Say for instance you ran a printing company in Sheffield and a customer sent you a professional email discusisng some future work. If you then wrote back saying rather than consider that work maybe you could investigate killing them you could probably expect a similar focus on how you're possibly not engaging with customers in an appropriate way.
I would say if they didn't get my sense of humour then I would choose not to work with them anyway ;)

Vegan day today innit - waitrose getting lots of free publicity over the whole thing :D :D
tim

Post by tim »

ste wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:55 am I prefer lots of the milk alternatives. We discussed it in here recently, but Oatly Barista is great stuff. I love almond milk and coconut is good in the right use too.
I've tried Oat milk, Almond milk and Coconut milk over the last couple of weeks. I think I prefer the Oat milk from the others, maybe Almond a close second, but it's still overpoweringly "oaty" in tea and on my rice crispies. So I'm back on the real stuff again and resigned to an extra visit on the Social Media Station mid-morning.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:45 am

Yep fitness is directly proportional to masturbation.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:29 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:45 am

Yep fitness is directly proportional to masturbation.
presumably you’re the exception to the rule?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Christ Ste I know you're an active boy - but wtf are you doing that burns 10k calories in a day? That's like 10 hours of intense cycling.